300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disadvantage and Advantage?

Hi folks. I'm a 20 yr old female from a nearby suburb of Boston. I'm looking to have a career in Law Enforcement. I am pursuing a bachelor's degree in Psychology. I'm a 2nd semester Sophomore this fall (a couple wks from now).

I've always felt a need to be a "police officer" but I have no specific preference of a position that I'm looking to obtain but of course something in LE. I've just always wanted to help protect, serve and teach others.

I stand at 4 feet 11 inches (My weight is proportional to my height). Obviously, there is a slight disadvantage in the LE world. I am a 1st Degree Black Belt in Taekwondo. I have been training for 3 years now and I plan to atleast continue my Taekwondo training, to a 2nd or 3rd degree level. Although, I'm not sure that this compensates for the height disadvantage? Does it? How good of a shot do I have?

Please post any thoughts on my situation. I'd love to hear what you guys have to say.

Thanks in advance to any future replies
    Last edited by peemmfivekay; 08-25-2005, 08:47 PM.

[QUOTE=peemmfivekay]Hi folks. I'm a 20 yr old female from a nearby suburb of Boston. I'm looking to have a career in Law Enforcement. I am pursuing a bachelor's degree in Psychology. I'm a 2nd semester Sophomore this fall (a couple wks from now).

I've always felt a need to be a "police officer" but I have no specific preference of a position that I'm looking to obtain but of course something in LE. I've just always wanted to help protect, serve and teach others.

I stand at 4 feet 11 inches (My weight is proportional to my height). Obviously, there is a slight disadvantage in the LE world. I am a 1st Degree Black Belt in Taekwondo. I have been training for 3 years now and I plan to atleast continue my Taekwondo training, to a 2nd or 3rd degree level. Although, I'm not sure that this compensates for the height disadvantage? Does it? Opinions?

what is proportionate? there are many definitions, j/k,,, fighting is about attitude and skill, where i used to work we had a guy that was around 5-4 about 130lbs, and he was a brauler, he didnt back down from anyone, if you think someone is about to whip your butt, then your probly about to get your butt whipped cause you just talked yourself out of it,
    i would say that size doesnt really matter as much as people think, ive seen small cops, big cops, fat cops, skinny cops, goofy cops, and so on, all kinds get hired,

Comment

Originally posted by gotthblues
      what is proportionate? there are many definitions, j/k,,, fighting is about attitude and skill, where i used to work we had a guy that was around 5-4 about 130lbs, and he was a brauler, he didnt back down from anyone, if you think someone is about to whip your butt, then your probly about to get your butt whipped cause you just talked yourself out of it,
      i would say that size doesnt really matter as much as people think, ive seen small cops, big cops, fat cops, skinny cops, goofy cops, and so on, all kinds get hired,
      I guess I just wanted to emphasize on the fact that I have been trained in self defense even though I am small in size... as opposed to those who may be taller than me but has no prior training in that.

Comment

Originally posted by peemmfivekay
        I guess I just wanted to emphasize on the fact that I have been trained in self defense even though I am small in size... as opposed to those who may be taller than me but has no prior training in that.
        well even though you have to defend yourself in police work, the more important part is that you at some point in time have to go on the offensive, which is different from defending your self. but a background in fighing, whatever it may be, should make you a more attractive applicant, it shows that your arent affraid of contact, we had a couple of big ol boys in my academy that where scared to death of contact.

Comment

well even though you have to defend yourself in police work, the more important part is that you at some point in time have to go on the offensive, which is different from defending your self. but a background in fighing, whatever it may be, should make you a more attractive applicant, it shows that your arent affraid of contact, we had a couple of big ol boys in my academy that where scared to death of contact.
          Well then, atleast I do have that going for me! Thanks.

Comment

Well then, atleast I do have that going for me! Thanks.
            youd be suprised how many people clam up and shy away during fight week, even at half speed contact.
            background in anything always helps, but i wouldnt rely too much on your fighting abilities, it may look like you wanna fight or are trying to prove something... but it is a definate plus, if you have a good background, good credit, A LEVEL HEAD, and so on, that will look better, anyone can learn to fight *for the most part* but not everyone can learn to be squared away and not have their head up their hole.

Comment

youd be suprised how many people clam up and shy away during fight week, even at half speed contact.
              background in anything always helps, but i wouldnt rely too much on your fighting abilities, it may look like you wanna fight or are trying to prove something... but it is a definate plus, if you have a good background, good credit, A LEVEL HEAD, and so on, that will look better, anyone can learn to fight *for the most part* but not everyone can learn to be squared away and not have their head up their hole.
              I definately have a clean record. Good credit, good background. No drugs, nothing like that all. And my head is nowhere near my hole. lol.

Comment

I definately have a clean record. Good credit, good background. No drugs, nothing like that all. And my head is nowhere near my hole. lol.
                sounds like you have just as good a shot as anyone else. ROLL ON!

Comment

sounds like you have just as good a shot as anyone else. ROLL ON!
                  That's good to hear that atleast someone thinks that I have just as good a shot as anyone else. I've wanted to become a police officer for years now. I plan to take the Civil Service Police exam in 2007.

I know there shouldn't be any discrimination when hiring but... there's bound to be a little bit of something, right?

Comment

That's good to hear that atleast someone thinks that I have just as good a shot as anyone else. I've wanted to become a police officer for years now. I plan to take the Civil Service Police exam in 2007.

I know there shouldn't be any discrimination when hiring but... there's bound to be a little bit of something, right?
                    You will be fine! We had 3 or 4 female recruits who were around 5' and all off them are as tough as nails. A few guys weren't too much taller...

I think your biggest concern will be getting employed in MA. I wouldn't limit myself to MA.
                    Can you say DYNASTY? Go Patriots!

Comment

please dont take this the wrong way, and i m not saying to explote this, but right before i left the pd, we got a new cheif, from a metro pd, he made several references to the fact that we had only one female officer. so the fact that you are female should help you, BUT mostly ontop of that is the fact that you seem squared away and reputable, so with all that together, i would think you have a good shot,

Comment

please dont take this the wrong way, and i m not saying to explote this, but right before i left the pd, we got a new cheif, from a metro pd, he made several references to the fact that we had only one female officer. so the fact that you are female should help you, BUT mostly ontop of that is the fact that you seem squared away and reputable, so with all that together, i would think you have a good shot,
                        I'm not sure how I could have taken it the wrong way. Thanks for the reassurance!

Comment

I'm not sure how I could have taken it the wrong way. Thanks for the reassurance!
                          well i didnt want you thinking that i was saying that you could get a job *just because you're female*.

Comment

well i didnt want you thinking that i was saying that you could get a job *just because you're female*.
                            Actually, I would think that it would be difficult for me to get a job seeing as though I am female - not to mention I am 4'11", 105 lbs!

Maybe undercover work?

Comment

Actually, I would think that it would be difficult for me to get a job seeing as though I am female - not to mention I am 4'11", 105 lbs!

Maybe undercover work?
                              well im just thinking in terms of local pd. tulsa pd is so politically correct that the have a portion of their website is called "the women of tulsa pd" i think they also have one for just black officers. just seems that they are going out of their way to "prove a point" thats the only website i've seen like that. dont get me wrong, i know that racial and sex biased stuff goes on, but that just seems overboard to me. ?????????
                              undercover, not thanks here,

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5241 users online. 265 members and 4976 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X