Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Another" Question about my past/history

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • "Another" Question about my past/history

    First - I already understand that all things being equal, I would probably be passed over for someone who has a "clean" record.

    But here goes:

    The good - I'm 32 years old, have a stellar work record, perfect credit, 4 year degree in finance and management, have started graduate classes, own my own house, make > $100,000/year and have certifications in cpr/first aid etc, haven't gotten in any trouble in 13 years.

    The bad - Arrested at 15 years old for possession of Marijuana, smoked Marijuana 3 times, no other drugs. Pled youthful offender and that was the end of it. Arrested at 17 years old for getting into a fight. The charge of breach of peace, criminal mischief, and loitering were all dropped.

    Am I doomed as a LEO?

  • #2
    //////////
    Last edited by Harleydude; 01-12-2006, 08:09 AM.
    Just the facts ma`am, just the facts.

    Comment


    • #3
      You make six fgures and want to be a cop ???? You won't make it past the pysch exam !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Harleydude - Thanks, I wish I lived closer and could take advantage of your generous offer.

        Bodie - There is no doubt I will honestly miss the money, and I actually love the job in which I am currently employed. But it's time I gave something back to the community, to help people, protect people, save people and teach people. I committed to working long hours and making personal sacrifices and it's just something I hope I'll get the opportunity to do.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bodie
          You make six fgures and want to be a cop ???? You won't make it past the pysch exam !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          exactly what i was thinking.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 469881Q
            Harleydude - Thanks, I wish I lived closer and could take advantage of your generous offer.

            Bodie - There is no doubt I will honestly miss the money, and I actually love the job in which I am currently employed. But it's time I gave something back to the community, to help people, protect people, save people and teach people. I committed to working long hours and making personal sacrifices and it's just something I hope I'll get the opportunity to do.
            Oh boy. I don't mean to discourage but your in for a world of disappointment. I'd think very long and hard about what your doing.
            It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by 469881Q
              The bad - Arrested at 15 years old for possession of Marijuana, smoked Marijuana 3 times, no other drugs. Pled youthful offender and that was the end of it. Arrested at 17 years old for getting into a fight. The charge of breach of peace, criminal mischief, and loitering were all dropped.
              Others here have warned you that yoou might come to regret this choice, but with that caveat, I doubt that those offenses, that long ago, would disqualify you on a background investigation. Just 'fess up to them and let the investigator draw their own conclusions. There's not too many of us that are the same people at 38 that we were at 15-17.
              Tim Dees, now writing as a plain old forum member, his superpowers lost to an encounter with gold kryptonite.

              Comment


              • #8
                nothing to see here
                Last edited by olnacl; 05-18-2006, 02:20 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Maybe I am fooling myself... But if I hadn't said how much money I made would you still say the same thing? Also "reality of a LE career" - Please provide some examples of what you mean.

                  My current job:
                  Work long hours - I average 55 +
                  Work Holidays - Most of the time, and some nights
                  Vacations - Get 3 weeks paid, and I'm lucky if I can actually take 3 days off a year.
                  Stressful - Nonstop, but I'm sure it's more, or a different kind of stress in LE so I'm not comparing the two.
                  Fulfillment - None, although yes I do like the paycheck

                  And I get to sit behind a desk for these 55+ hours too staring at a computer.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 469881Q
                    Maybe I am fooling myself... But if I hadn't said how much money I made would you still say the same thing? Also "reality of a LE career" - Please provide some examples of what you mean.

                    My current job:
                    Work long hours - I average 55 +
                    Work Holidays - Most of the time, and some nights
                    Vacations - Get 3 weeks paid, and I'm lucky if I can actually take 3 days off a year.
                    Stressful - Nonstop, but I'm sure it's more, or a different kind of stress in LE so I'm not comparing the two.
                    Fulfillment - None, although yes I do like the paycheck

                    And I get to sit behind a desk for these 55+ hours too staring at a computer.
                    when you add court time and time staying over late to finish reports, the time is about the same,
                    you still work holidays and nights plus you rotate shifts all the time, atleast most do, we rotated every four months,
                    most of the time, you have to find someone to work for you if you wanna take off, plus you dont have the $ to take 3 vacations a year, even though you have the time to do it.
                    stress, stress, stress, its an annoying stress., the high intensity calls you sometimes get doesnt really bother you. its the annoying crap.
                    fulfilment, what is that, you arrest them, they are back on the street before you finish your reports.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Tim Dees
                      Others here have warned you that yoou might come to regret this choice, but with that caveat, I doubt that those offenses, that long ago, would disqualify you on a background investigation. Just 'fess up to them and let the investigator draw their own conclusions. There's not too many of us that are the same people at 38 that we were at 15-17.
                      I'll agree there. Here in Florida we have to disclose everything that you have ever done from juvy to adult. Alot of stuff they overlook especially the teen years there are also a few agencies here that as long as you havent smoked in the last 2 years will still consider you for employment. Just remember to be honest and let them knwo because trust me if you dont they will find out and that will make it hard for you in the long and and possibly DQ'd.
                      I've got friends in low places

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 469881Q
                        First - I already understand that all things being equal, I would probably be passed over for someone who has a "clean" record.

                        But here goes:

                        The good - I'm 32 years old, have a stellar work record, perfect credit, 4 year degree in finance and management, have started graduate classes, own my own house, make > $100,000/year and have certifications in cpr/first aid etc, haven't gotten in any trouble in 13 years.

                        The bad - Arrested at 15 years old for possession of Marijuana, smoked Marijuana 3 times, no other drugs. Pled youthful offender and that was the end of it. Arrested at 17 years old for getting into a fight. The charge of breach of peace, criminal mischief, and loitering were all dropped.

                        Am I doomed as a LEO?

                        Aside from the youth arrests, I'm pretty much in the same boat as you- except I wouldn't quit my current job for anything- have you considered reserve work? This is what I intend to do after finishing the academy next month- dunno how the reserve programs are in your area, but I found a few agencies that were pretty good.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by 469881Q
                          Maybe I am fooling myself... But if I hadn't said how much money I made would you still say the same thing?
                          I would say the same thing because of your impression of Law Enforcement. You said "But it's time I gave something back to the community, to help people, protect people, save people and teach people." That is why your in for a world of surprise. After a few years you wont feel like your "giving back to the community." You'll feel hated and question whether your actually doing the right thing. To help protect people? Against what? Most people don't want your help and we don't save babies from burning buildings. We can't predict when something bad is going to happen. We arrive when somebody was already hurt. Sure, we can arrest, lets say, a drunk driver. Wow, we could have just saved somebody from getting killed. It's not as rewarding as you might think. Teach people? What would you like to teach them. That they are complete idiots? "Yes sir, when you punch your wife in the face you go to jail. But don't worry, you'll be out in a few hours and she will call you right back."

                          Don't get me wrong, I don't hate my job. But it takes a very unique person to do this job. If you want to help people, teach people, save people, and give back to the community I'd seriously consider becoming a firefighter.
                          It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by RabbitMPD
                            I would say the same thing because of your impression of Law Enforcement. You said "But it's time I gave something back to the community, to help people, protect people, save people and teach people." That is why your in for a world of surprise. After a few years you wont feel like your "giving back to the community." You'll feel hated and question whether your actually doing the right thing. To help protect people? Against what? Most people don't want your help and we don't save babies from burning buildings. We can't predict when something bad is going to happen. We arrive when somebody was already hurt. Sure, we can arrest, lets say, a drunk driver. Wow, we could have just saved somebody from getting killed. It's not as rewarding as you might think. Teach people? What would you like to teach them. That they are complete idiots? "Yes sir, when you punch your wife in the face you go to jail. But don't worry, you'll be out in a few hours and she will call you right back."

                            Don't get me wrong, I don't hate my job. But it takes a very unique person to do this job. If you want to help people, teach people, save people, and give back to the community I'd seriously consider becoming a firefighter.
                            exactly, you cant help those that dont want to be helped, this includes about 75% of the "victims" to.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Past history

                              If i were interviewing you, one of the first questions I would ask is why, you're giving up a $100,000. salary to become a cop? Believe me, that question will come up too. In regards to your record. Disclose it fully. I don't view it as much of an issue. It will be an issue if you don't disclose it.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 3872 users online. 256 members and 3616 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X