300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions... 46 y.o. rookie?

Hello, and thanks in advance for your comments.

As stated, I'm 46 years old, and over the regular course of life (raising a family, earning a living, etc...) I have never gotten into LE. I always had a desire, but my career path seemed to take me on a different journey. Now, the kids are grown, and I'm getting bored with my business. I sell auto parts as a factory rep for a big company. It's my own business, and I've been doing it for twelve years. I'm thinking about getting the CA POST training and becoming a reserve Deputy Sheriff. I'm in good physical shape, and have a level head on my shoulders. What can I expect from the training, and also what can I expect should I end up as a reserve? I'm looking at Sacramento or El Dorado County, CA.

Thanks for your input.

Go for it! I am over 40 and pursuing LE for the first time. You will always regret not trying.

Life begins at 40...

Comment

Obviously, every dept has differnet practices and policies but I've seen a recruit go thru our academy at age 56. He's been in the field about 5 years.

As far as reserves, some dept's use them just to do transports and other assignments to keep the regular patrol guys available. Other depts let you ride with a regular officer as a partner and then some let you ride alone after a while...doing EVERYTHING that a regualr officer would do. Some depts pay their reserves, some don't.
      "Get busy dying or get busy living".....Andy Dufrain, Shawshank Redemption

Comment

You're nuts .................... Pure and simple.
        Ohio has 25 and out at age 48 so where would you be here ?
        Most agencies have a cap of the 30's as top age to hire and with good reason.

46 makes you an old guy in this job.
        Any other job yeah maybe but hitting the streets at 46 for the 1st time I could care less how many tell you to go for it and cheer lead you to do it the simple facts are the cards are severly stacked aganist you being healthy and strong enough now to compete on the streets.

Comment

//////////
          Last edited by Harleydude; 01-12-2006, 08:11 AM.
          Just the facts ma`am, just the facts.

Comment

Harleydude you started at 24 that a big difference then starting at 46 and not making it to retirement. Here if you started at 24 you would be retired by 49 so see what I mean ? 25 and out at age 48 is the law here so you can stay longer but why do it if your healthy and can move on to a nice safer lifestyle. This guy wants to start when most of our guys are just months away from taking a well deserved retirement.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I appreciate the replies.

It's interesting... why is retirement such a focus for LEO's? I am not aware of any other profession where people are so focused on retirement - even prior to starting out! In almost all civilian jobs, no one really considers retirement until they are well into their career.

As I consider this step, retirement is not really a main focus for me. I'm not swimmin' in cash, but I think my wife and I will be ok. The main focus is the job, and what the experience will be for me. I'm not saying I'm blowing off retirement, but being self-employed right now, there's nothing waiting for me as it is, except for what I've set up for myself.

Blue Leader spoke of a guy going through the academy at age 56. Now there's a guy who's more interested in life experience than a retirement program.

Comment

//////////
                Last edited by Harleydude; 01-12-2006, 08:11 AM.
                Just the facts ma`am, just the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                  You're nuts .................... Pure and simple.
                  Ohio has 25 and out at age 48 so where would you be here ?
                  Most agencies have a cap of the 30's as top age to hire and with good reason.

46 makes you an old guy in this job.
                  Any other job yeah maybe but hitting the streets at 46 for the 1st time I could care less how many tell you to go for it and cheer lead you to do it the simple facts are the cards are severly stacked aganist you being healthy and strong enough now to compete on the streets.
                  I don't understand why you are even mentioning retirement. The guy is asking about being a reserve officer.

As far as the odds being severely stacked against him being healthy and strong enough to compete on the streets, I disagree. There are plenty of LEO's well into their 40's and 50's who can still outfight people 20-30 years their junior. If the reserve academy has a halfway decent PT and self-defense program, and he passes it, there is no reason he can't make it on the streets.
                  Last edited by justice12; 08-23-2005, 01:03 PM.

Comment

I agree. My uncle did it, I think he was just over 50 when he went to the academy and did just fine.
                    "He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still"

-Lao Tzu

"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."

-Reinhold Niebuhr

Comment

NY is 20 and out, max age w/o military is 35, except for SUNY PD, IIRC. State Troopers top out at 30 years old.

Comment

I have posted this before but you may like it. From the Oxnard (CA) PD's website:

"After retiring from the United States Navy as a lieutenant in 1974, Bob saw some interesting challenges for him in law enforcement, but at that time, most law enforcement agencies across the country had a maximum hiring age of 35. It wasn

Comment

Find a dept., and go for it.

Comment

Hell yes GO FOR IT. I almost always enjoy Bodies retorts but this one is alittle off base. You are right in asking WHy is everyone so worried about retirement from the beginning and I gues its cause in general L.E field is dangerous, stressfull and can make ya go crazy . SO its the seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I jsut left my first department after 10 yers and have waaay too many to even think and Iam in my mid 30s. WHO CARES. I found a place that is MUCH less dangerous, not too say I lsot my edge or Officer Safety mentality. It is IN ME and IAm always being careful but my new place is filled with older guys. If you at 46 wanted to do East New York or SOuth Philly or Miami or Columbus Ohio area { } I can see the hesitations of being a inner city street cop. I dont know what a Full time reserve consists of BUt I say Go for it. Worst case, you work a few yers make some money, meet some LIFELONG friends and quit. If the talk shows overnight are correct We aint gonna be here in 20 years. Food for thought.
                            I got nothing for now

Comment

38 and starting!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Sactown
                              Hello, and thanks in advance for your comments.

As stated, I'm 46 years old, and over the regular course of life (raising a family, earning a living, etc...) I have never gotten into LE. I always had a desire, but my career path seemed to take me on a different journey. Now, the kids are grown, and I'm getting bored with my business. I sell auto parts as a factory rep for a big company. It's my own business, and I've been doing it for twelve years. I'm thinking about getting the CA POST training and becoming a reserve Deputy Sheriff. I'm in good physical shape, and have a level head on my shoulders. What can I expect from the training, and also what can I expect should I end up as a reserve? I'm looking at Sacramento or El Dorado County, CA.

Thanks for your input.
                              Go for it! Im 38 and going for it as well....... taking the Allentown PA. exam in Sept. cant wait.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6563 users online. 352 members and 6211 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X