Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please critique my oral board answers (sworn only plz)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wannabeenytrp
    replied
    Originally posted by lsmalibu
    Just got a letter saying that I passed my oral board and am scheduled to take the PT test next week.

Thanks all for your comments.
    Congrats, knock em dead in the PT test. Leave your lungs on the track...
    Keep us posted!

Leave a comment:

• lsmalibu
    replied
    Update

Just got a letter saying that I passed my oral board and am scheduled to take the PT test next week.

Thanks all for your comments.

Leave a comment:

• PTI
    replied
    Originally posted by Praetorian
    Actually, when I do become a cop, I am going to bust even LEs for anything illegal (aka practically treat them like a citizen depending on the situation, and I am not going to go into specifics here). PM me if you want any more clarification because I think the Powers That Be are going to get a little more tight fisted about non-LEs posting in here and I don't feel like getting banned.
    No clarification needed. That about sums it up. Don't quit your day job, you're probably gonna need it when law enforcement doesn't pan out for you.

Leave a comment:

• Praetorian
    replied
    Originally posted by PTI
    Ok so let me get this straight....you can't drive drunk. But its ok to smoke pot? Hmmmmmm very interesting. Can't smoking marijuana impair your ability to drive? Yes. Isn't driving under the influence of drugs (marijuana) the same as being under the influence of alcohol? Yes. Is it against the law to possess marijuana? Yes. Is it against the law to possess alcohol. No. Somehow that logic seems flawed to me. So just to make sure I got this right...I can go out after shift with my buddies and smoke some dope and then drive home and thats ok, but I can't go have a few beers and drive home?
    I said I would stop this train of thought as to not get off topic, but since you brought it up...
    Did I say smoke pot and drive? Did I say just drink? No, I said drinking and driving, which is different from just drinking.
    I used "smoking pot" as an example because someone in the "professional courtesy" thread used catching a cop friend smoking pot as an example.
    Actually, when I do become a cop, I am going to bust even LEs for anything illegal (aka practically treat them like a citizen depending on the situation, and I am not going to go into specifics here). But I didn't really feel like arguing about it, so I didn't mention it.
    PM me if you want any more clarification because I think the Powers That Be are going to get a little more tight fisted about non-LEs posting in here and I don't feel like getting banned.
    Last edited by Praetorian; 08-20-2005, 11:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Centurion44
    replied
    Originally posted by PTI
    Ok so let me get this straight....you can't drive drunk. But its ok to smoke pot? Hmmmmmm very interesting. Can't smoking marijuana impair your ability to drive?
    Maybe in meant smoking pot in and of itself. Since smoking pot and driving is still DUI. Misd. Possesion of pot is an offense I've let loose with a verbal warning a few times. Matter of fact, In my 2 years with this dept and my other 2 years with the SO, I've only cited someone for it once. *shrug*

Leave a comment:

• PTI
    replied

Drunk driving is unforgivable. Smoking pot, speeding, etc... Those are offenses that can be looked over. But drunk driving? Come on.
    Ok so let me get this straight....you can't drive drunk. But its ok to smoke pot? Hmmmmmm very interesting. Can't smoking marijuana impair your ability to drive? Yes. Isn't driving under the influence of drugs (marijuana) the same as being under the influence of alcohol? Yes. Is it against the law to possess marijuana? Yes. Is it against the law to possess alcohol. No. Somehow that logic seems flawed to me. So just to make sure I got this right...I can go out after shift with my buddies and smoke some dope and then drive home and thats ok, but I can't go have a few beers and drive home?

Leave a comment:

• Praetorian
    replied
    Originally posted by PTI
    Thats a great attitude to have. When you accually apply for your first law enforcement job and go through your first oral interview remember that answer. Thats the type of response the interviewers are looking for.

Now for the reality of things. If and when you get out of the academy remember what your FTO is going to tell you. It will go something like this, "I don't care what they told you in the academy, this is how its done in the real world." So the way things happen in an interview room and how they happen in the real world are 2 different things. I don't claim to know everything, but considering I've been doing this as long as you have been alive, I've got a pretty good idea about how things work in the real world. Read up on that "professional courtesy" thread. I may give you some insight. Even if you can't respond in there, like you werent supposed to on this thread, its good reading.
    Well, the way I interpreted the directions for this forum, I am not allowed to respond as a cop to the initial question...
    I read all of the professional courtesy thread. There are certain forgivable things, but putting others at risk because of your actions is not one of them.

Originally posted by BrickCop
    First of all this is section is Ask a Cop not "What do the wannabes think"? It's very easy to sit atop your high horse when you have not worked thirty seconds on this job.
    I'm not on a high horse, Brick.
    Drunk driving is unforgivable. Smoking pot, speeding, etc... Those are offenses that can be looked over. But drunk driving? Come on. Any officer who drives drunk, in my opinion, is being blantantly disrespectful of his life, civilian lives, and disrespectful to other officers. I say the same for my mother, father, brother, etc... I don't care who you are.
    I was commenting on a comment, not the original post.
    Looking for advice? Is there something you always wanted to ask a cop? Here you go. ONLY LE's should REPLY to ANSWER a question. ANYONE can ASK the original OR follow-up questions. Non-LE who 'answer' questions will be removed.
    But I will stop on this train of thought since it will get the thread off topic.
    Last edited by Praetorian; 08-20-2005, 10:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TPD Cadet
    replied
    Originally posted by jnojr
    "But... but... but he's supposed to fall down!", homeboy will get you, or get away.
    LMAO,

I can just imagine that...

"TAZER!,

Hey... It didn't work!? Youre supposed to be down on the ground!"

Leave a comment:

• jnojr
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMP5guy
    You should have said "Taser ineffective, since when?"
    It's possible, just like some people are unaffected by OC or Mace. Maybe that batteries are weak or dead. Maybe the darts didn't sink in. I think the point is, you have to be prepared to do something if the Taser doesn't drop your guy... if you stand there spluttering "But... but... but he's supposed to fall down!", homeboy will get you, or get away.

Leave a comment:

• BrickCop
    replied
    Actually, I think it is BS. The only situation I can think of for letting a fellow officer off is speeding, and it depends on how fast he is going.
    Sorry, but I don't think drunk drivers should just get a ride home. When an officer drives drunk, that person is no longer an officer, but a drunk driver. Actually, they are even lower because they SEE what happens when people drive drunk. They have to mop up the mess. Just giving them a ride home does nothing except perhaps encourage a repeat of the behavior.

You break the law, you are a criminal. Even if you have a badge. And like I said, it is even worse when you have a badge.
    First of all this is section is Ask a Cop not "What do the wannabes think"? It's very easy to sit atop your high horse when you have not worked thirty seconds on this job.
    Last edited by BrickCop; 08-20-2005, 02:55 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PTI
    replied
    Actually, I think it is BS. The only situation I can think of for letting a fellow officer off is speeding, and it depends on how fast he is going.
    Sorry, but I don't think drunk drivers should just get a ride home. When an officer drives drunk, that person is no longer an officer, but a drunk driver. Actually, they are even lower because they SEE what happens when people drive drunk. They have to mop up the mess. Just giving them a ride home does nothing except perhaps encourage a repeat of the behavior.

You break the law, you are a criminal. Even if you have a badge. And like I said, it is even worse when you have a badge.
    Thats a great attitude to have. When you accually apply for your first law enforcement job and go through your first oral interview remember that answer. Thats the type of response the interviewers are looking for.

Now for the reality of things. If and when you get out of the academy remember what your FTO is going to tell you. It will go something like this, "I don't care what they told you in the academy, this is how its done in the real world." So the way things happen in an interview room and how they happen in the real world are 2 different things. I don't claim to know everything, but considering I've been doing this as long as you have been alive, I've got a pretty good idea about how things work in the real world. Read up on that "professional courtesy" thread. I may give you some insight. Even if you can't respond in there, like you werent supposed to on this thread, its good reading.

Leave a comment:

• wannabeenytrp
    replied
    Ismalibu, you obviously did your homework for the oral board, especially on your level of force in scenrio 4. I am sure you know they are checking for your poise during your responses and they want to see if you stick to your guns throughout your responses. You expresed a lot of integrity in your answers which is what the are looking for in a recruit.
    Good luck in the rest of the process...

Leave a comment:

• Reverie
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMP5guy
    You should have said "Taser ineffective, since when?"
    Funny how that only came to my attention once you pointed it out...'taser ineffective'...that's something you don't see too often.

Good stuff.

Leave a comment:

• WCSO106
    replied
    lsmalibu I think your answers sound pretty good. I agree that in question 1 you should have probably talked to the FTO, but I believe that question was to test your integrity. I was asked a similar question in my initial interview. I believe any answer where you would take some form of action; reporting the individual(s) to a superior officer will be taken as the appropriate action.. They were probably looking to see if you'd ignore blatent misconduct by fellow officers.

The drunk guy in the bar question goes to the core of a shooting situation. Thank God I have never had to be involved in a shooting situation, but we were trained in the academy to shoot center mass to "remove and eliminate the threat of further action by the subject"

I think you did well in your interview and I can't see anything right now that should harm your review.

Good Job!

Leave a comment:

• Centurion44
    replied
    Originally posted by CitizenJoe
    What is wrong with this picture?
    I'll make a deal with you. If you stop pretending to understand the world of cops, I won't start pretending to understand the world of male prostitutes, k?

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2661 users online. 174 members and 2487 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X