300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about oral boards

I have heard some examples of questions that are sometimes asked in the oral board interview and one that I've seen is "If you pulled your (wife/girlfriend/relative/friend/etc.) over and they had (run a red light/stop sign/DUI/marijuana), what would you do?" I see the reasoning for this question and I know what answer the interviewers want to hear, but in reality, they, and you, know that you wouldn't write your wife, for example, a ticket or arrest her for a DUI. What is the best thing to say in this situation?

Originally posted by kywildcats
    I have heard some examples of questions that are sometimes asked in the oral board interview and one that I've seen is "If you pulled your (wife/girlfriend/relative/friend/etc.) over and they had (run a red light/stop sign/DUI/marijuana), what would you do?" I see the reasoning for this question and I know what answer the interviewers want to hear, but in reality, they, and you, know that you wouldn't write your wife, for example, a ticket or arrest her for a DUI. What is the best thing to say in this situation?
    There is no right answer. There is only your answer. That is what they want to hear.

Notice they probably will not ask what would you do if you caught your Uncle, Best Friend, etc killing another person in cold blood. They know what you would say about your action.

They are asking questions in regards to your use of Officer Discretion.

If you answer with what you think they want to hear, they will see through it. Honesty is what they want, regardless of if it was what they would do or not.
    What is it about, "Thou shalt not.....", do some people not understand?
    Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Comment

Think about this for a minute. You can either say that you are already, long before being sworn in, planning to give special consideration to people you know. Or you can say you are planning on enforcing the law in a fair and impartial manner. Which one do you think the oral board wants to hear?

This is a job interview. After you have some time on the job and you are sitting around with other cops, if this question comes up tell them whatever the hell you want. On a job interview you want to say that you are not planning on giving anyone special consideration because they have a personal relationship with a cop.

PS - I just read the response by "acreature" and, while I disagree, it is certainly another valid way of looking at the question. I would view that answer differently than he would.
      Last edited by mobrien316; 08-18-2005, 01:40 PM.
      Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Comment

Originally posted by mobrien316
        Think about this for a minute. You can either say that you are already, long before being sworn in, planning to give special consideration to people you know. Or you can say you are planning on enforcing the law in a fair and impartial manner. Which one do you think the oral board wants to hear?

This is a job interview. After you have some time on the job and you are sitting around with other cops, if this question comes up tell them whatever the hell you want. On a job interview you want to say that you are not planning on giving anyone special consideration because they have a personal relationship with a cop.

PS - I just read the response by "acreature" and, while I disagree, it is certainly another valid way of looking at the question. I would view that answer differently than he would.
        But if they ask "If you pulled your wife over one night and she had a little too much to drink, what would you do?" or "If you pulled your dad over for doing 70 in a 40, what would you do?" and I tell them that I would take her to jail and give him a ticket/arrest him for wreckless driving, don't you think they would see right through that? Nobody is going to arrest their wife or give their dad a ticket. I could lie to them and tell them what they wanted to hear, and they would know it was a lie, or I could be honest and tell them what they don't want to hear, but they would know I was being honest. Obviously, as "acreature" said, they won't ask what I would do if I caught my wife/dad murdering someone because there is no room for discretion and any cop who doesn't have psychological problems would arrest them.

Do you think something along the lines of "Sir, I would rely on proper training and department regulations and then use my discretion appropriately for the situation at hand." would work? That way I get out of the question without lying or implicating myself.

Comment

Do you think something along the lines of "Sir, I would rely on proper training and department regulations and then use my discretion appropriately for the situation at hand." would work? That way I get out of the question without lying or implicating myself.
          Calling a Supervisor or another Officer to handle it would be the best answer... If you HAD to stop the car right then and there.

Any Officer in there right mind would know it was there Wife or Dad prior to even turning the lights on.

BTW, your above quote was too broad... that wasn't an answer to the question
          What is it about, "Thou shalt not.....", do some people not understand?
          Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.

Comment

Isnt that question great?!?!?! We ask a similar question to our perspective new hires. Something along the lines of "you pull over the mayor/city manager/township trustee, etc. for a speeding violation. You approach the car and you notice odor of alcohol, blah blah blah...what do you do?"

The answer that I always look for, is like the other responses stated: Honesty!! DON'T TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK I WANT TO HEAR. Remember, we have interviewed a bunch of people for this position, and unless you are the first one to get interviewed, we have already heard the generic standard answer 100 times!!

Is it common practice to put people thru field sobriety test and not always arrest them...YES... is it common practice to pull someone over and not arrest them, but drive them home...YES... just use common sense and you'll be ok.. however, remember that in some jurisdictions, you arrest everybody regardless..they dont have a grey area, and in my opinion that is unfortunate, because you need to have that area of discretion.

One more thing, and ill shut up.. If the question is worded like, "you pull up on a auto accident and notice the mayor intoxicated, etc.. be careful to answer w/ anything other than "arrest". One answer that you could use is "sir, as much as i would not want to arrest someone in that position, I didn't put him/her in that spot. That person made the decision to drive impaired, and unfortunately is putting me in a very uncomfortable situation. However, I am not going to risk my reputation/career/integrity...etc..

Good Luck..

p.s. have you ever been asked the cookie question? if not...let me give it to you real quick..something like this...

"Its your first week on the job. You are on 3rd shift w/ your FTO (field training officer). You find the back door of the bakery open. You and the FTO walk inside, and after checking the building the FTO grabs a cookie off the shelf as he is walking out the door and begins to eat it. He offers you one..what do you do?

HAVE FUN!!!
            ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by scooterlee

p.s. have you ever been asked the cookie question? if not...let me give it to you real quick..something like this...

"Its your first week on the job. You are on 3rd shift w/ your FTO (field training officer). You find the back door of the bakery open. You and the FTO walk inside, and after checking the building the FTO grabs a cookie off the shelf as he is walking out the door and begins to eat it. He offers you one..what do you do?

HAVE FUN!!!
              Love that questions, mines was about a can of pop!!

Comment

you know the answer of course is to " say no, turn him in..etc..."

what we do though to the guys who answer "i'd let him go, its only a cookie"

We turn right around and ask them this question..."your on patrol w/ your FTO 3rd shift and you find a open door at the local bank. As your leaving the bank your FTO picks up a stack of $100 bills and walks out. What do you do?"

Man you should see their faces!! Its funny because now they wanna go back and change the answer to the cookie...

I encourage everybody to sit on the interview boards if given the opportunity..
                ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ACTIONS, DON'T BLAME OTHERS!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4322 users online. 220 members and 4102 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X