Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Community College or a University?????? What do you recommend???

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Community College or a University?????? What do you recommend???

Im an Explorer currently in HS and I am thinking between the two I should consider. Im leaning towards community and do there criminal jutice cource. For one its local. And it does not cost a heap of money to get in the door. What College did you attend???

There are advantages and disadvantages to both types of schools. It depends on how far you want to take your education. Some universities don't always accept credits from community colleges if you transfer. I think the overall instruction at a university is better in a lot of cases. There will be a lot more classes available at a university.

I have a BAS in Criminal Justice from The University of Toledo.

Comment

Originally posted by SpokaneExplorer
      Im an Explorer currently in HS and I am thinking between the two I should consider. Im leaning towards community and do there criminal jutice cource. For one its local. And it does not cost a heap of money to get in the door. What College did you attend???
      It doesn't matter. All Government Agencies are looking for is that piece of paper. They don't care where it comes from.(as long as it isn't an "online" university)

Comment

Originally posted by SpokaneExplorer
        that is a good question. i myself once wondered that.

that was my goal. to go to college for criminal justice.
        after seeing other peoples views, going into criminal justice may not be the smartest thing. what if you dont make it into the agency? i mean, yes- there will be others that you will make in. what exactly do you want to do in LE?
        the way it works out for me, is that im able to take the test when im 19, and join when im 21. the test is every 4 years, so its set up that the soonest i can take the test is when im 21. i can possibly do the ROTC through the military and also get vets credits by doing this. another thing you may have to pass, is the polygraph test. i have a thread here, asking some questions regarding it also.

*I was talking with a recruitment officer earlier. She mentioned the Explores, because I asked if there were still Police Cadets. Maybe you can tell me in detail, what you do in it?
        Last edited by trez8289; 08-11-2005, 01:07 AM.

Comment

NOT AN LEO

I went through the same problem this year. I had to decide between a community college and university. The best way to decide is to call the community college and ask about transfering credits and about thier CRJ program. Start with the cheaper one...if they don't have what u want then go to the university. In my case it was a little easier. My community college is in the top 10 community colleges in the US (our teachers also teach at 2 prestigious universities), and they transfer to almost any other university in the state.

The only way to find an answer is through research. To get the most from it make a list of questions and concerns and go meet with an admissions rep.

Comment

"Community college is like a disco with books." - Chris Rock

Good responses all around. Again, it depends on you. Money is certainly a factor, career goals, etc...

College is not for everyone, so if you don't see yourself dedicating 4-5 years of your life to earn your bachelors, by all means, go with the CC and the CJ program. If you think you do want to go for a bachelors, then get with an advisor at the college and take "basics" (math, science, english, history) that will transfer to 4 yr schools.

Also talk to teachers, counselors, friends, other officers, and discuss you career goals and situation, gather as much info as you can, then make a decision.

Comment

If your state has a University system like SUNY (State Universities of New York) then it will be easier to transfer all of your credits from a Community College to a State University. I have said this before in a few other threads and a few have agreed with me: Go for a degree other than CJ. For most police forces just having a degree will help. You can never tell what the future will hold and it is best to have a back-up plan.
              No man is justified in doing evil on the grounds of expediency. - Theodore Roosevelt, The Strenuous Life: Essays and Addresses (1900)

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisG
                NOT AN LEO

I went through the same problem this year. I had to decide between a community college and university. The best way to decide is to call the community college and ask about transfering credits and about thier CRJ program. Start with the cheaper one...if they don't have what u want then go to the university. In my case it was a little easier. My community college is in the top 10 community colleges in the US (our teachers also teach at 2 prestigious universities), and they transfer to almost any other university in the state.

The only way to find an answer is through research. To get the most from it make a list of questions and concerns and go meet with an admissions rep.

ASK A COP but your post says not a LEO.
                In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

Originally posted by Joebob
                  "Community college is like a disco with books." - Chris Rock

Good responses all around. Again, it depends on you. Money is certainly a factor, career goals, etc...

College is not for everyone, so if you don't see yourself dedicating 4-5 years of your life to earn your bachelors, by all means, go with the CC and the CJ program. If you think you do want to go for a bachelors, then get with an advisor at the college and take "basics" (math, science, english, history) that will transfer to 4 yr schools.

Also talk to teachers, counselors, friends, other officers, and discuss you career goals and situation, gather as much info as you can, then make a decision.

Won't having a 4yr degree be better if you are planning on trying to get promotions asap and better pay?

Comment

Originally posted by Crazed
                    Won't having a 4yr degree be better if you are planning on trying to get promotions asap and better pay?
                    In many cases, yes. That doesn't mean you have to spend the money for a full four year ticket from Rutgers. Go to a Community College for two years, get an Associate's Degree, tranfer to a four year college and get your BA from there. It's the same degree and it's a lot cheaper. No one will ever know you went to a CC unless you tell them.

Comment

Dead on right, no matter if you do 2 years at a CC and transfer to Rutgers or go right there from HS your diploma will still say Rutgers on it. The big difference will be your credit card balance at the end of 4yrs.

Originally posted by duckfan
                      In many cases, yes. That doesn't mean you have to spend the money for a full four year ticket from Rutgers. Go to a Community College for two years, get an Associate's Degree, tranfer to a four year college and get your BA from there. It's the same degree and it's a lot cheaper. No one will ever know you went to a CC unless you tell them.
                      "Respect for religion must be reestablished. Public debt should be reduced. The arrogance of public officials must be curtailed. Assistance to foreign lands must be stopped or we shall bankrupt ourselves. The people should be forced to work and not depend on government for subsistence." - Cicero, 60 B.C.

For California police academy notes go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CABasicPolice/

Comment

Thanks

HEY Thanks you guys for that info and anyone else that has more to add. I appreciate it

Comment

Some agencies pay educational incentive pay not according to your highest degree, but by assigning incentive pay to each relevant degree.

A former agency paid an additional $500 annually to officers with an Associate's degree, $1000 for a Bachelor's, $1500 for a degree/degrees above the baccalaureate level.

Guys who had picked up an AA/AS en route to their BS-- going the Community College route-- saw a shiny $1500 each year.

Guys with the exact same BS who had gutted out the whole 4 years at UGA or wherever saw $1000.

The injustice of this wasn't lost on the long-suffering chosen few. But fortunately for the rest of us, the department never seemed to care much about closing this "loophole," preferring to battle the union instead into a concession over about $100 in annual uniform allowances. (Cough.. yep.. they showed us, all right.)

Last I knew, the muttonhead that had an MBA along with a BS and AS was doing the Happy Dance to the bank every January. I believe his wife had no idea about $3000, once-a-year lump sum payments.

Just food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by sflcop
                            ASK A COP but your post says not a LEO.
                            not really a "COP" question

Comment

Community colleges are usually less expensive than universities and they only offer Associate degrees, while a university may offer degrees ranging from Associates, Bachelors, Masters or Doctorates. As long as a community college or a university is regionally accredited, then they will accept eachothers college credits i.e. English 101, English 102, college algebra, statistics, etc.

Some people go to community college to get all the general education classes out of the way and then they transfer to a 4-year college to get their specialized classes out of the way.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5814 users online. 364 members and 5450 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X