• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about hiring disqualifiers

deleted

deleted
    Last edited by an_nonmouse; 07-02-2016, 08:26 AM. Reason: deleted

[QUOTE=an_nonmouse;3896494]Specifically for the FBI.

Originally posted by an_nonmouse View Post
    First of all, I have gone through a few things, and if I ever went to therapy/counseling for them, would that be considered a disqualifier? Or would they rather they be bottled up? I am currently also completely and utterly without any other adults in my life and I'm a 20 yr old college student so having someone to provide counsel would be helpful. It'd be unfortunate to lose that possibility.
    It would depend on the situation...............none of us are qualified to make that decision.

Second, there's an herbal supplement called St John's Wort that apparently causes false positives. Were I to inform whoever it may concern beforehand would the false positive still disqualify me?
    Maybe, maybe not..........................again only someone in the hiring process is qualified to answer that question and THEN it would depend on many factors

Third, will they contact my blood relatives without my consent? I'm estranged from all of them due to the fact that they're abusive and amoral. They wouldn't say anything polite about me, for sure (doubt they want me with arrest powers).
    No, but if you try to keep someone out of the background process --------most agencies just will not process you. THE AGENCY decides who to talk to and are quite good at investigations. They know how to evaluate responses given by the people they talk to.
    you are not the first person with this type of situation

Fourth, said relatives have been in and out of prison, almost all of them (and the ones who haven't been in prison should have been). Will my being brought up in such an environment and related to them, even if I'm several years without any contact with them, be a disqualifer?
    The investigation will be focusing on YOU --------not necessarily your family . THEY are not applying for a job , YOU are.
    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

My goodness, you certainly bring a lot of baggage to the table. OK, let's start.

First of all, I have gone through a few things, and if I ever went to therapy/counseling for them, would that be considered a disqualifier? Or would they rather they be bottled up? I am currently also completely and utterly without any other adults in my life and I'm a 20 yr old college student so having someone to provide counsel would be helpful. It'd be unfortunate to lose that possibility. still disqualify me?
      Candidates are evaluated to determine if they are free from any emotional or mental condition that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a law enforcement officer, and to otherwise ensure that the candidate is capable of withstanding the psychological demands of the position.

Whether you can be hired will depend on your mental state at the time of processing, as determined through a series of written and in person psychological evaluation as administered by a licensed psychologist.

Second, there's an herbal supplement called St John's Wort that apparently causes false positives. Were I to inform whoever it may concern beforehand would the false positive still disqualify me?
      Prior to being hired, applicants are given a physical exam to determine if they are free of any medical condition that might adversely affect their ability to perform the duties of the position they are seeking. This includes a drug screen. As part of that exam they are asked to list all prescription and over the counter medications they are taking. You should list this item and verbally bring it to the attention of medical staff. However, if getting the job is that important to you, a more common sense approach is top stop taking the over the counter supplement if you believe it will create a false positive.

Third, will they contact my blood relatives without my consent? I'm estranged from all of them due to the fact that they're abusive and amoral. They wouldn't say anything polite about me, for sure (doubt they want me with arrest powers).
      No. They will only contact them with your consent, which you will give freely and in writing. As part of the background investigation process you will be required to sign waivers authorizing anyone who ever had contact with you to speak with the background investigator, tell them their impressions and beliefs about you and provide any records, documentation, etc. they have about you. They will be given a copy of this waiver, in which you release them from liability for whatever they say about you. You do not get to dictate who the background investigator contacts nor do you get to dictate the manner in which he conducts his investigation.

Fourth, said relatives have been in and out of prison, almost all of them (and the ones who haven't been in prison should have been). Will my being brought up in such an environment and related to them, even if I'm several years without any contact with them, be a disqualifer?
      There is an old saying - you can pick your friends but you can't pick your relatives. As long as you did not engage in any disqualifying conduct while with your relatives and do not associate with them now, you should not have any problems.

For the past 50 years we have spent Christmas at my cousin's house. She's divorced and at one point took up with someone who was a convicted of murder. Consequently, we spent many Christmases with her and "Killer." My department knew about it and it wasn't a problem.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Please read, then re-read Post #3. You could not ask for a more definitive, accurate reply.

Comment

Your life should be an open book (or pamphlet in some cases) during the background. If you are not willing to share everything, your not ready for law enforcement. Ask your counselor if s/he thinks you should be doing this job. If that person "pauses", even for a second, take that as a NO. It sounds like you have a lot going in your life and those stresses will become 10x worse when you do this job. Counseling in itself is not a disqualifier and i would encourage it, but if it is based around esteem, or negative feelings about yourself- your not ready to start in law enforcement.

You may disagree with me, and that is okay, but a police officers job is to make decisions that others probably will not agree with and if you cannot handle what is going on in your own life at this time, how can you make decisions that will ultimately affect others?

If I backgrounded you, your signature on my waiver form would give me consent to contact them. If you tell me ahead of time what they are going to say and put some context to it, probably won't be an issue. If you don't tell me what they are going to say and why, i will accept their statements as truth and let the chips fall where they may.
          Last edited by C Tucker; 06-29-2016, 11:37 AM.
          I don't check to see if the glass is half full, I make sure its not dirty.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4045 users online. 240 members and 3805 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X