Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disqualified from a probation department?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disqualified from a probation department?

I applied for a sworn reserve position with a probation department in Northern California 9 months ago. I passed the polygraph and background investigation because they allowed me to move onto medical and psychological evaluations. I successfully passed everything but I just got a letter saying I was DQ'd for background issues and to reapply in a year? The BI said she couldn't give me the reason but that some people are told to reapply in 2,3 years or even never. Would this mean I was DQ'd for a temporary issue? The only reason I can think of is that I got a texting ticket(moving violation) while waiting to do my medical and I neglected to inform my BI because I reasoned in my head they would know anyways since it would be on my dmv record. I also neglected to notify the department that I had quit my job and did some temp work because I was actively testing for other departments. I was told by a retired LE friend that failing to inform the BI of a ticket can be considered deception and looking back it would idiotic of me not to notify my BI. Am I permanently screwed because of my error? Furthermore if I'm not, would this affect the hiring process at another department I'm applying to? Thank you everyone for any advice you can give.

Originally posted by Callofthewild View Post
    I applied for a sworn reserve position with a probation department in Northern California 9 months ago. I passed the polygraph and background investigation because they allowed me to move onto medical and psychological evaluations. I successfully passed everything but I just got a letter saying I was DQ'd for background issues and to reapply in a year? The BI said she couldn't give me the reason but that some people are told to reapply in 2,3 years or even never. Would this mean I was DQ'd for a temporary issue? Am I permanently screwed because of my error? .
    Does that make it any clearer?

The only reason I can think of is that I got a texting ticket(moving violation) while waiting to do my medical and I neglected to inform my BI because I reasoned in my head they would know anyways since it would be on my dmv record. I also neglected to notify the department that I had quit my job and did some temp work because I was actively testing for other departments. BI.
    That was stupid

I was told by a retired LE friend that failing to inform the BI of a ticket can be considered deception and it would idiotic of me not to notify my
    He gave you VERY good advice

Furthermore if I'm not, would this affect the hiring process at another department I'm applying to? Thank you everyone for any advice you can give
    Yes it could affect other hiring process

BOTTOM LINE Don't lie to a Background Investigator either in subject matter or in omission. The BI that gets "surprised" by something THEY find that could have/should have been easily disclosed-----------is a very happy investigator
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I applied for a sworn reserve position with a probation department in Northern California 9 months ago. I passed the polygraph and background investigation because they allowed me to move onto medical and psychological evaluations. I successfully passed everything but I just got a letter saying I was DQ'd for background issues and to reapply in a year? The BI said she couldn't give me the reason but that some people are told to reapply in 2,3 years or even never. Would this mean I was DQ'd for a temporary issue? The only reason I can think of is that I got a texting ticket(moving violation) while waiting to do my medical and I neglected to inform my BI because I reasoned in my head they would know anyways since it would be on my dmv record. I also neglected to notify the department that I had quit my job and did some temp work because I was actively testing for other departments. I was told by a retired LE friend that failing to inform the BI of a ticket can be considered deception and looking back it would idiotic of me not to notify my BI. Am I permanently screwed because of my error? Furthermore if I'm not, would this affect the hiring process at another department I'm applying to? Thank you everyone for any advice you can give.

Actually, you've answered your own question. Rather than go into any further detail, I commend you to my colleague's reply. As he usually does, he has answered your question(s) very accurately. I'll simply add, that in stark contrast to politics, honesty and integrity are at the core of all we do.

Comment

Omission is lying, don't do it.

It WILL hurt you.
        The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
        that we are all that stands between
        the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

That BI was being nice. You MAY reapply, high chances of NOT getting picked up due to being caught lying...
          You made some pretty stupid assumptions and actions.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
            Does that make it any clearer?

BOTTOM LINE Don't lie to a Background Investigator either in subject matter or in omission. The BI that gets "surprised" by something THEY find that could have/should have been easily disclosed-----------is a very happy investigator
            I was told that some departments give that 1 year reapply option to everyone so I was not sure at first.

Thanks for advice. It was the first time I ever applied for any Law Enforcement job but I should have known better. I am deeply regretful and accept full responsibility for my actions. I just hope other departments realise that and can look past it.

Comment

I was told that some departments give that 1 year reapply option to everyone so I was not sure at first.
              What that means is, you can't reapply now because they are hiring off the list from the last test and aren't accepting applications from anyone. In a year, the current list will be close to expiring or exhausted, they will be scheduling a new test and will be accepting applications.

When that happens, you are welcome to apply again and go through the process (because it is unlawful to prohibit someone from applying for a civil service position). But, if the same disqualification factors exist in your personal history, more than likely you will be DQed again.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                (because it is unlawful to prohibit someone from applying for a civil service position)
                I don't think that is a nationwide law.................
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                  What that means is, you can't reapply now because they are hiring off the list from the last test and aren't accepting applications from anyone. In a year, the current list will be close to expiring or exhausted, they will be scheduling a new test and will be accepting applications.

When that happens, you are welcome to apply again and go through the process (because it is unlawful to prohibit someone from applying for a civil service position). But, if the same disqualification factors exist in your personal history, more than likely you will be DQed again.
                  There was no test because it was a reserve position. I pretty much walked in, they said I passed their interview so they started my process.

I passed the intial background check and reference check according to them because they gave me a letter of sorts saying I would get the job provided I passed medical and psych. However the new letter I got says background reasons which makes me suspect it was either the ticket(because now I have 2 moving violations and 1 at fault accident in the last 3 years which may be above their limit) or me neglecting to inform them of it.

The only negatives I had in my initial BI were: not having a long job history since I'm 22, I did work under the table but it was for a company owned by my family that I could inherit one day, and I left another job under bad circumstances because I forgot I had a round of ammunition in my pocket at work. But all these came up in my initial BI and they cleared it all.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Comment

PROBABLY the tickets & the accident

Those normally have "time limits" to "fall off"

You not telling them compounded the situation-------------around here it would probably be a big deal and COULD be a permanent DQ

Other places --------not so much

There was no test because it was a reserve position. I pretty much walked in, they said I passed their interview so they started my process.

I passed the intial background check and reference check according to them because they gave me a letter of sorts saying I would get the job provided I passed medical and psych. However the new letter I got says background reasons which makes me suspect it was either the ticket(because now I have 2 moving violations and 1 at fault accident in the last 3 years which may be above their limit) or me neglecting to inform them of it.

The only negatives I had in my initial BI were: not having a long job history since I'm 22, I did work under the table but it was for a company owned by my family that I could inherit one day, and I left another job under bad circumstances because I forgot I had a round of ammunition in my pocket at work. But all these came up in my initial BI and they cleared it all.

Comment

PROBABLY the tickets & the accident

Those normally have "time limits" to "fall off"

You not telling them compounded the situation-------------around here it would probably be a big deal and COULD be a permanent DQ

Other places --------not so much
                      So bottom line, it's a time thing and I still have a shot?

Comment

I don't think that is a nationwide law.................
                        You're right, the is no nationwide law to that effect.

However, I doubt you will find a provision in any civil service agency's rules that allows an appointing authority to prohibit someone from ever applying again. Instead, they apply, their application is reviewed and a determination is made as to whether they meet the criteria for DQ that is in effect at that time. Now, some DQs may last forever when it comes to peace officers (felony conviction, domestic violence, Lautenberg issues, dishonesty, etc.) but you can't come out and tell them to never apply again because you don't know when the law may change and to do so violates their rights (to at least apply) under most civil service rules.
                        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

So bottom line, it's a time thing and I still have a shot?

Maybe...................depending on where you are

Comment

Maybe...................depending on where you are
                            I'm in California. San Francisco Bay area to be exact. I've been told by recruiters of several local agencies that because I'm fluent in Mandarin, Cantonese and Vietnamese I'm a very valuable candidate. I just hope it translates into a career as a police officer/ sheriff's deputy.

Comment

I'm in California. San Francisco Bay area to be exact. I've been told by recruiters of several local agencies that because I'm fluent in Mandarin, Cantonese and Vietnamese I'm a very valuable candidate. I just hope it translates into a career as a police officer/ sheriff's deputy.

My agency would not hire you because you are a documented liar (omission of facts). Your story for the nondisclosures does not pass the smell test as well.

Maybe some agency will take a chance but you would be worthless on the witness stand. Your dishonesty would have to be disclosed and therefore your testimony would be worthless.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3906 users online. 190 members and 3716 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X