300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psych exam appeals. help!

I have been in the hiring process for la county DSO for almost a year. I took my psych exam 3 weeks ago and that was the last step before academy. I was just told i didnt pass the psych and im devastated. Academy starts in 2 weeks. Does anyone have any experience with appeals for this? How long does it take? How much does it cost? What will happen if i win the appeal? I dont even know the reason yet. They said i have to appeal to find out the reason but forst i have to wait for the letter in the mail. I dont want to waste time if i dont have to. Has anyone won an appeal?

Sorry to hear that you didn't pass, in all honesty if I were you I would try applying somewhere else. LA County is extremely strict and if you aren't near perfect they will tell you to withdraw and reapply next year and even then you still might not get in. There's so many law enforcement agencies hiring in SoCal right now, pretty much all of them are heavily recruiting. Look into your options and put in multiple applications. Good luck. CHP is also hiring for all divisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here is the LASD hiring thread...................any and EVERY question ever asked about the LASD process is there

http://forums.officer.com/t168515/
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

First... You aren't making this academy.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
          First... You aren't making this academy.

Concur 100%. You can take a psych one day and fail it. You can take the exact same exam the next day and pass it. It's entirely possible that the "doctor" didn't feel you were a fit for that agency at that time.

I personally feel you'd be wasting your time appealing this decision. I would continue to apply with other agencies, and do the very best I could through the entire hiring process. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
            Concur 100%. You can take a psych one day and fail it. You can take the exact same exam the next day and pass it. It's entirely possible that the "doctor" didn't feel you were a fit for that agency at that time.

I personally feel you'd be wasting your time appealing this decision. I would continue to apply with other agencies, and do the very best I could through the entire hiring process. Good luck.
            Im curious as to why it wouldnt be good to appeal? They told me i have to appeal just to find out the reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Rcarter10 View Post
              Im curious as to why it wouldnt be good to appeal? They told me i have to appeal just to find out the reason.
              Do you REALLY want to work for an agency that is FORCED to hire you after dqing once?
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                Do you REALLY want to work for an agency that is FORCED to hire you after dqing once?
                I just dont like that its all up to one psychologist. If i have a chance id like to.

Comment

I just dont like that its all up to one psychologist. If i have a chance id like to.
                  It's your time, it's your money. Appeal by all means if that's what you want to do.

Comment

In the long run hiring or NOT hiring you is up to just one individual................the chief/sheriff

What's the difference

Again do you really want to work for someone that doesn't want you working for them?????

Comment

Federal and state law secures an individual’s right to access his or her own personal health and employment information. However, these rights are limited or exempted when the information was gathered or produced as a matter of law (e.g., Government Code § 1031), and public interest in its nondisclosure outweighs private or public interests in disclosure. Various courts have held that the integrity of the peace officer hiring process comprises a strong public interest and would be compromised by allowing candidates access to their psychological evaluation records because candidates would then be able to tailor their responses to the evaluations on the basis of this information.

An individual’s private interests in gaining employment and the public interest in assuring a fair employment process are met by allowing a disqualified candidate to submit a second opinion evaluation for consideration by the hiring authority [2 CCR § 11071(b)(2) and commission Regulation 1955(g)]. The hiring agency is not required to notify the disqualified candidate of this right nor pay for the second evaluation; however, should a candidate indicate that s/he is seeking a second opinion, the department must make available to the second opinion psychologist the peace officer duties, powers, demands, and working conditions and requirements that were provided to the first-opinion psychologist. Additional obligations extend to state agencies.

Some agencies have a formal appeal process whereby the candidate is sent to another qualified evaluator selected and paid for by the agency. More commonly, especially at smaller agencies, disqualified candidates must seek out and pay for a second evaluation themselves.

Candidates who seek a second opinion should be provided with description of the second opinion process by the hiring authority, including answers to these anticipated questions:

How much time do I have to appeal?

How quickly can I complete the appeal process (potentially to be accepted into an upcoming academy)?

Where can I get a second opinion?

Do I have to pay for the second opinion? How much will it cost?
                      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

OP I suggest telling your psychologist this

Comment

I was going to make another thread but I'll just post here since it's relevant. Does anybody know if being disqualified twice from a department from the psych results can affect your chances of getting on another department? I called the psychologist after my recent psych test and he said I did not "fail" the test because I was not rated high-risk, but I did not meet the profile that the agency wanted, he said I need to work on my interpersonal skills, however he said that I meet the psych criteria for some agencies like the state police here since they don't require as much interpersonal skills because they don't do "community policing". The thing is I want to work for a local department.

Also what do I put on applications for future agencies where they ask if you've ever applied to any departments and the status of each phase of the process? Do I say "Disqualified at psych exam" or "Passed psych exam but did not meet desired profile"? The psychologist said to me "do not ever tell a department that you failed the psych test"
                          Last edited by RyanMiller; 07-07-2016, 06:53 AM.

Comment

The answer to your question is in your question, that is, follow the instructions you were already given, i.e.

1. "Do not ever tell a department that you failed the psych test."

2. "I did not meet the profile the agency wanted"

3. "Work on my interpersonal skills"

4. "I meet the criteria for the state police" (Spoiler alert, he's giving you what the FBI calls "a clue")

There are many different types of law enforcement that suit many different personalities. I know guys who seem cut out from birth to be top-notch Troopers in a squared-away, spit shined, highly regulated state agency and I know guys who would suffer an early end to their career if forced to work in that environment. It's all in what fits you best, which you will discover if you are eventually hired (another free clue- go with the first agency that hires you, even if it's not your "first choice.")

To reiterate, follow the advice you have already been given by the department psychologist. To be honest, I'm quite surprised he told you as much as he did. Agencies are usually pretty close-mouthed about that stuff. And regarding answering any questions about why you didn't continue in the process, based on your information here I'd say you could use the term "non-select," not "disqualified." Disqualification is usually bad and means that you cannot be hired, whereas "non-selected" usually means you were not a good fit for a particular agency but you may be otherwise qualified. And trust me, if a BG investigator wants more information, he or she will get it.
                            Last edited by DepTroop; 07-07-2016, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanMiller View Post
                              I was going to make another thread but I'll just post here since it's relevant. Does anybody know if being disqualified twice from a department from the psych results can affect your chances of getting on another department? I called the psychologist after my recent psych test and he said I did not "fail" the test because I was not rated high-risk, but I did not meet the profile that the agency wanted, he said I need to work on my interpersonal skills, however he said that I meet the psych criteria for some agencies like the state police here since they don't require as much interpersonal skills because they don't do "community policing". The thing is I want to work for a local department.

Also what do I put on applications for future agencies where they ask if you've ever applied to any departments and the status of each phase of the process? Do I say "Disqualified at psych exam" or "Passed psych exam but did not meet desired profile"? The psychologist said to me "do not ever tell a department that you failed the psych test"
                              Yeah bro, police departments are looking for skinny jean wearing kumbuya singing beta males now. Alpha males need not apply to any police department. Sadly this is true and that is what they are looking for; especially in metro police departments now. Your not crazy, your just too alpha most likely. Find another department that is looking for men or adjust your answers to the quack to what they want to hear.
                              Last edited by Secgenblue ; 07-11-2016, 05:56 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7014 users online. 394 members and 6620 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X