300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't pass oral board

What does that generally mean? I generally pass the written and physical tests but I never make it past the oral board. I have done several oral boards for various agencies (local LE, state LE, gov't special agent) and I can't seem to pass one with the exception of CBP's oral board.

Before every board I make sure my suit is squared away, I read up on the agency, mission, etc, and show up early.

Originally posted by hangman View Post
    What does that generally mean? I generally pass the written and physical tests but I never make it past the oral board. I have done several oral boards for various agencies (local LE, state LE, gov't special agent) and I can't seem to pass one with the exception of CBP's oral board.

Before every board I make sure my suit is squared away, I read up on the agency, mission, etc, and show up early.

The board either doesn't like your answers or doesn't like your demeanor during the interview.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Just keep trying until you pass through!

Comment

If you can't pass the oral board then stop using your teeth....sorry I couldn't resist

Comment

Originally posted by Axix23 View Post
          Just keep trying until you pass through!
          Some people are not meant to be police.

One of the functions of the oral board/interview is to weed out the applicant who can pass academic/physical tests but isn't really cadet material. Experienced officers and supervisors who make up oral board panels normally can glean the wheat from the chaff with a few pointed questions.

Some (possibly) good officers will fail at this point and some (potential) marginal/bad officers will slip through this crack also due to the "human factor"

If an applicant is consistently passing other phases of the hiring process but stalling at the oral board phase-------especially if these failures are across the board of multitudes of TYPES of agencies------- it might be time to re-evaluate you profession choice.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Some better quality knee pads maybe?

Like politics and getting votes, or getting some boo-tay, the key to success is telling them what they want to hear.

Comment

Really depends on the agency and what they're looking for with the answers. I recommend you do some research to better prepare yourself for the boards. There's all sorts of info online and paperback for interview kind of stuff in general.

I still laugh at the idea some of the people from my academy made it through the boards with their personalities. It shouldn't be THAT big of a roadblock for you. Good luck
              "There's no such thing as a bad beer.....its only less awesome beer...."

"Liberalism is a mental disorder" - Michael Savage

Comment

Maybe you should look for a company or Academy that puts on an Oral Board Prep class. Either it's you, or you answer the questions wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by tj05 View Post
                  If you can't pass the oral board then stop using your teeth....sorry I couldn't resist
                  Give 'em the gum job!
                  The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                  that we are all that stands between
                  the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

This could very well be a personality issue. You just do not have the personality these departments are looking for. Few people can accurately describe themselves from an outsiders perspective. Use the honest feedback of friend's, coworkers and family and heck even some strangers. Ask them how they how they would describe you and your personality. You can identify the similarities and then ask yourself do you have the right personality for the job and the department. If not, be honest and move on with your life. If so, well start to work on those negative characteristics.

Comment

I hated boards.

Comment

Well, maybe I should have stated it differently. I have passed a few oral boards but they were with agencies that hire hundreds of people a year with the exception of one.
                        I have passed the following boards:
                        Border Patrol Agent---hires hundreds of people each year. They aren't concerned about your "personality". They are looking for bodies.
                        CBP Officer ---hires hundreds per year. They also aren't concerned about your personality. They are looking for bodies.
                        Marine Corps Civilian Police---hires quite a few each year.
                        State Highway Patrol--they seemed very picky and I was surprised I even passed it. They were only hiring 12 troopers.

I have failed the following:
                        State Game Warden (failed it twice)
                        State Park LE Ranger
                        City PD
                        Special Agent with federal agency

I currently work for CBP and I have been looking for a different agency to work for. I have gone through four oral boards and failed three.

So what kind of personality are agencies looking for, especially local and state LE? Type A with aggressive personality? Outgoing personality? etc? I don't think an agency will come out and say what type of personality they are looking for.

Maybe some of the local and state LEOs on here can describe the type of personalities that are common at their agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by hangman View Post
                          Well, maybe I should have stated it differently. I have passed a few oral boards but they were with agencies that hire hundreds of people a year with the exception of one.
                          I have passed the following boards:
                          Border Patrol Agent---hires hundreds of people each year. They aren't concerned about your "personality". They are looking for bodies.
                          CBP Officer ---hires hundreds per year. They also aren't concerned about your personality. They are looking for bodies.
                          Marine Corps Civilian Police---hires quite a few each year.
                          State Highway Patrol--they seemed very picky and I was surprised I even passed it. They were only hiring 12 troopers.

I have failed the following:
                          State Game Warden (failed it twice)
                          State Park LE Ranger
                          City PD
                          Special Agent with federal agency

I currently work for CBP and I have been looking for a different agency to work for. I have gone through four oral boards and failed three.

So what kind of personality are agencies looking for, especially local and state LE? Type A with aggressive personality? Outgoing personality? etc? I don't think an agency will come out and say what type of personality they are looking for.

Maybe some of the local and state LEOs on here can describe the type of personalities that are common at their agencies.

Sounds like you could use some quality time with "Ranger Rick". All kidding aside, that's only 4 different agencies, three of which appear that they could have a specific candidate or candidates in mind and are continuing the screening process for the sake of going through the motions.

Take a break for a bit then try again later. Good luck!
                          Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

o what kind of personality are agencies looking for, especially local and state LE? Type A with aggressive personality? Outgoing personality? etc? I don't think an agency will come out and say what type of personality they are looking for.
                            Here's the thing. Different agencies have different personalities or cultures. Sometimes different cultures within different divisions of the same agency.

Trust me. You do NOT want to get hired by an agency where you don't fit their culture and their culture doesn't fit you.

Been there, done that, still have the scars.

DO NOT try to be or become someone or some thing you are not in order to fit in. It won't work and you AND they will have unhappiness and heartburn until you move on or they move you on. TRUST ME.

Be you. Be the best you that you can be... but BE YOU. The right agency will come along, or it won't. Either way you're better off than getting hired and being a poor fit.

I currently work for CBP
                            CBPO, BPA or something else? Either way you can see two completely different agency cultures right there between CBPOs and BPAs.
                            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

CBPO, BPA or something else? Either way you can see two completely different agency cultures right there between CBPOs and BPAs.[/QUOTE]

I'm a CBPO....Yeah, CBPO is all about "customer service at the border."

I guess that's why I haven't passed some oral boards at a few agencies. The customer service mentality at CBP is getting to me.
                              Last edited by hangman; 03-04-2016, 11:31 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12719 users online. 483 members and 12236 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X