300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview Question

I have my first ever oral board coming up in a couple of months and one of the topics will be on the knowledge of the department and the city. What exactly are they looking for because I feel that's a bit of a broad topic, especially when it comes to the city portion? I was just wondering what are some good things to do some research on besides the obvious like their mission, vision, community programs, & etc.

Thanks!

Have you ever considered a mail order bride? Why not? Perhaps because you know nothing about her.

It's the same here. Most people shotgun applications to different police department just hoping someone will hire them without having any idea what they city in question is like. That's bad juju.

Learn about the city. What makes it up? What makes it tick? The good, the bad. What is it about the city that would be of particular interest to law enforcement?

Start with demographics. Number of citizens, age range, median income, number at or below the poverty level. Next look at ethnic makeup. All have a bearing on what you will be dealing with.

Look at commerce. What are the major and minor businesses in the city. Not only are these sources of tax revenue, but they provide jobs for the community. Without these, the town dies.

Look at recreation and entertainment. These draw both locals and outsiders. While they provide commerce (taxes, income and jobs) they can also be a magnet for trouble that place constant demands on police resources.

Look at the crime rate in general. Talk to the local cops. Ask them about particular issues of concern to them.

Look at city government. Is it led by the mayor or a City Manager? (Usually less politics with a City Manager).

Ask around about current problems the city is facing (lack of tax money, shortage of water, infighting in city hall, city council discouraging big box stores from coming in, - anything and everything related to the city that people gripe about).

The reality is, as an applicant you are not expected to know about a lot of these things. But if you can show you have done your homework and made a sincere interest to learn about the town (just like trying to charm a new girlfriend) you may score a few extra points with the oral board.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

To add, go here http://www.city-data.com/

Type in your city name and you will find all sorts of information that will be useful.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
        Have you ever considered a mail order bride? Why not? Perhaps because you know nothing about her.

It's the same here. Most people shotgun applications to different police department just hoping someone will hire them without having any idea what they city in question is like. That's bad juju.

Learn about the city. What makes it up? What makes it tick? The good, the bad. What is it about the city that would be of particular interest to law enforcement?

Start with demographics. Number of citizens, age range, median income, number at or below the poverty level. Next look at ethnic makeup. All have a bearing on what you will be dealing with.

Look at commerce. What are the major and minor businesses in the city. Not only are these sources of tax revenue, but they provide jobs for the community. Without these, the town dies.

Look at recreation and entertainment. These draw both locals and outsiders. While they provide commerce (taxes, income and jobs) they can also be a magnet for trouble that place constant demands on police resources.

Look at the crime rate in general. Talk to the local cops. Ask them about particular issues of concern to them.

Look at city government. Is it led by the mayor or a City Manager? (Usually less politics with a City Manager).

Ask around about current problems the city is facing (lack of tax money, shortage of water, infighting in city hall, city council discouraging big box stores from coming in, - anything and everything related to the city that people gripe about).

The reality is, as an applicant you are not expected to know about a lot of these things. But if you can show you have done your homework and made a sincere interest to learn about the town (just like trying to charm a new girlfriend) you may score a few extra points with the oral board.
        What he said. I can't improve on that.

Comment

For department-specific info, find the most recent Annual Review (it may be called something different) for the department and study it! You may find it online, but if not - call the dept and ask if they have one and find out how to get it. That's how I found most of the info I used in my interview: there are stats about the agency as a whole, such as total # of officers, total # of calls for service and then broken down by type, etc; # of arrests and then broken down by offense. There's also stats of each special unit: e.g. how much dope was found by the narcotics unit and broken down into types. Find things like that so you have specific answers to questions such as "Why do you want to work for this department in particular?"

Comment

Thank you very much! That helps a lot.

Comment

Use your Google-Fu or ask members of the dept, you want to work for.
              The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
              that we are all that stands between
              the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Throw in a ride along or two if you can too!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4092 users online. 195 members and 3897 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X