X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slamdunc
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    Get your education out of the way..................live a little of the college life (but don't do anything stupid) , be a kid.
    ^^^This is what it all boils down to and as always, Iowa is spot-on.

Leave a comment:

• ArchwayD
    replied
    Originally posted by MNPurpleLaw View Post
    Not sure on IL requirements, but in MN a LE/CJ degree is required..

It would be worth looking into what the minimum state peace officer requirements are for IL..
    Not entirely true. I was hired under our agency's cadet program which only required a degree. They in turn put us through Skills and their academy and subsequently receiving a "law enforcement certificate".

And then there is the reciprocity approach which requires only experience and no degree as long as you have at least five years.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by Green-2-Blue View Post
    Too young, too young, too young. You need life experience and a little college and/or military service doesn't hurt either. The job will still be here...wait on it and grow up a little more. You'll thank me later.
    Originally posted by KickingLion View Post
    I guess for the sake of clarity (even I was a little confused by the way I structured my last post) given that A) I am accepted into the reserves and B) I am accepted to a jc or 4 year university: Would the benefits of being a reserve deputy be worthwhile later on down the road when I look to go full time? I understand that my personal experience will vary and each reserve unit operates very differently but in general, is it something a department will look at as a somewhat significant plus (given I perform well, which I have no intention of doing anything short of exceeding satisfactory standards) along with the degree I wish to attain as opposed to a traditional 4 year schooling and work experience? Or is it just a, "congratulations for doing something a little extra but it doesn't really do anything for you".
    I don't' see many agencies hiring a Reserve Deputy who is in college. Maybe 20 yrs ago, maybe 10 yrs ago but not today.

Get your education out of the way..................live a little of the college life (but don't do anything stupid) , be a kid.

You get out of college as a 21/22 yr old---------------in MY mind that is really still TOO YOUNG to start being a cop. (As one who was hired as a 21 yr old MANY YEARS ago----I was way to young at the time)

PERSONALLY (after nearly 4 decades of being in the profession in several different areas/agencies/job descriptions) I wouldn't hire anyone under 25 . But that is just me

Leave a comment:

• Green-2-Blue
    replied
    Too young, too young, too young. You need life experience and a little college and/or military service doesn't hurt either. The job will still be here...wait on it and grow up a little more. You'll thank me later.

Leave a comment:

• KickingLion
    replied
    I guess for the sake of clarity (even I was a little confused by the way I structured my last post) given that A) I am accepted into the reserves and B) I am accepted to a jc or 4 year university: Would the benefits of being a reserve deputy be worthwhile later on down the road when I look to go full time? I understand that my personal experience will vary and each reserve unit operates very differently but in general, is it something a department will look at as a somewhat significant plus (given I perform well, which I have no intention of doing anything short of exceeding satisfactory standards) along with the degree I wish to attain as opposed to a traditional 4 year schooling and work experience? Or is it just a, "congratulations for doing something a little extra but it doesn't really do anything for you".
    Last edited by KickingLion; 01-20-2016, 02:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    This is all obviously contingent on me actually being accepted into a reserve position.

Thank you.
    This is very true

Leave a comment:

• KickingLion
    replied
    I have given my situation some more thought and came up with another possible avenue. Would participation in a Reserve Deputy program be worth my time or beneficial as I attain my associates or bachelors? It would cost me substantially more to move away and be on my own while attending school and participating in the Reserves but I feel I am mature enough to do so. I just don't want to take that risk and hardship if the benefits of it may not be worth more than the cost. This is all obviously contingent on me actually being accepted into a reserve position.

Thank you.
    Last edited by KickingLion; 01-20-2016, 02:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MNPurpleLaw
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    Why?

He plans on applying in Iowa
    My mistake.. I saw his location as IL, missed the part where he said he planned on applying to small - medium departments in IA..

Leave a comment:

• slamdunc
    replied

It would be worth looking into what the minimum state peace officer requirements are for IL..
    21 years of age, no felony convictions, no misdemeanors involving domestic battery or crimes of moral turpitude. No educational requirements in Illinois; HS diploma or a GED and you're good to go. In theory, you can graduate high school, work at Wal-Mart for three years, get hired by an agency, go to academy, and be on the streets before you turn 22.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied

Why?

He plans on applying in Iowa

I planned on applying and testing for several smaller to medium sized agencies in my neighboring state of Iowa that allow 18 year olds to be hired. !
    All that is required in Iowa is a GED / HS diploma.

But as I stated earlier by law you can be hired at 18 in the state-----------------but that is not going to happen in practice.

Leave a comment:

• MNPurpleLaw
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Thank you for all of the input you have given me!

I will definitely pursue a degree based on some personal reflection and the advice you all have given me. I am contemplating getting one in early childhood education or elementary education. I've always had a passion for teaching. Not to sidetrack this thread but, would a degree in something such as Fire Science be of the same value as any other degree? I'm aware it's a very limited field of study but it does pertain to my current job and what I'll be doing during my college years and possibly beyond that depending on if I am confident enough and prepared to apply to a agency after college.

I printed out your post L-1. It's amazing advice, thank you VERY much! I intend to refer back to it at the beginning of each week and ask myself what aspect I can better myself in during the next 7 days.

Once again, thank you!
    Stay Safe!

In IOWA a degree is a degree as far as most agencies are concerned. SHOULD you go for a promotion later in your career the actual degree might have bearing on the decision but as far as getting hired-----------it wouldn't matter

Leave a comment:

• slamdunc
    replied
    Not to sidetrack this thread but, would a degree in something such as Fire Science be of the same value as any other degree?
    Generally speaking, yes. Most agencies that require a degree don't care what it is in (except for in Minnesota).

Leave a comment:

• KickingLion
    replied
    Thank you for all of the input you have given me!

I'm seeing a central theme here and I agree with it 100%. Business management, psychology, nursing, anything in the health field, and anything but CJ.
    I will definitely pursue a degree based on some personal reflection and the advice you all have given me. I am contemplating getting one in early childhood education or elementary education. I've always had a passion for teaching. Not to sidetrack this thread but, would a degree in something such as Fire Science be of the same value as any other degree? I'm aware it's a very limited field of study but it does pertain to my current job and what I'll be doing during my college years and possibly beyond that depending on if I am confident enough and prepared to apply to a agency after college.

I printed out your post L-1. It's amazing advice, thank you VERY much! I intend to refer back to it at the beginning of each week and ask myself what aspect I can better myself in during the next 7 days.

Once again, thank you!
    Stay Safe!

Leave a comment:

• slamdunc
    replied
    Originally posted by Name Taken View Post
    With that being said I would recommend not applying at 18 and rather go to school and get a degree in something other then Criminal Justice.
    The only other time I'd recommend applying at 18 is if you had the time, money, and dedication to work AND go to school and get a degree in something other then Criminal Justice.
    If you only take ONE thing away from my post GET a DEGREE in something BESIDES CRIMINAL JUSTICE.
    I'm seeing a central theme here and I agree with it 100%. Business management, psychology, nursing, anything in the health field, and anything but CJ.

Last edited by slamdunc; 01-07-2016, 10:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 19548 users online. 506 members and 19042 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X