Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure on IL requirements, but in MN a LE/CJ degree is required..

It would be worth looking into what the minimum state peace officer requirements are for IL..
    SKOL VIKES

A policeman must be a minister, a social worker, a diplomat, a tough guy, and a gentleman.

Comment

Originally posted by MNPurpleLaw View Post

It would be worth looking into what the minimum state peace officer requirements are for IL..

Why?

He plans on applying in Iowa

Originally posted by KickingLion View Post

I planned on applying and testing for several smaller to medium sized agencies in my neighboring state of Iowa that allow 18 year olds to be hired. !
      All that is required in Iowa is a GED / HS diploma.

But as I stated earlier by law you can be hired at 18 in the state-----------------but that is not going to happen in practice.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

21 years of age, no felony convictions, no misdemeanors involving domestic battery or crimes of moral turpitude. No educational requirements in Illinois; HS diploma or a GED and you're good to go. In theory, you can graduate high school, work at Wal-Mart for three years, get hired by an agency, go to academy, and be on the streets before you turn 22.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
          Why?

He plans on applying in Iowa
          My mistake.. I saw his location as IL, missed the part where he said he planned on applying to small - medium departments in IA..
          SKOL VIKES

A policeman must be a minister, a social worker, a diplomat, a tough guy, and a gentleman.

Comment

I have given my situation some more thought and came up with another possible avenue. Would participation in a Reserve Deputy program be worth my time or beneficial as I attain my associates or bachelors? It would cost me substantially more to move away and be on my own while attending school and participating in the Reserves but I feel I am mature enough to do so. I just don't want to take that risk and hardship if the benefits of it may not be worth more than the cost. This is all obviously contingent on me actually being accepted into a reserve position.

Thank you.
            Last edited by KickingLion; 01-20-2016, 02:47 AM.

Comment

This is all obviously contingent on me actually being accepted into a reserve position.

Thank you.
              This is very true
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

I guess for the sake of clarity (even I was a little confused by the way I structured my last post) given that A) I am accepted into the reserves and B) I am accepted to a jc or 4 year university: Would the benefits of being a reserve deputy be worthwhile later on down the road when I look to go full time? I understand that my personal experience will vary and each reserve unit operates very differently but in general, is it something a department will look at as a somewhat significant plus (given I perform well, which I have no intention of doing anything short of exceeding satisfactory standards) along with the degree I wish to attain as opposed to a traditional 4 year schooling and work experience? Or is it just a, "congratulations for doing something a little extra but it doesn't really do anything for you".
                Last edited by KickingLion; 01-20-2016, 02:46 AM.

Comment

Too young, too young, too young. You need life experience and a little college and/or military service doesn't hurt either. The job will still be here...wait on it and grow up a little more. You'll thank me later.
                  "There's no such thing as a bad beer.....its only less awesome beer...."

"Liberalism is a mental disorder" - Michael Savage

Comment

Originally posted by Green-2-Blue View Post
                    Too young, too young, too young. You need life experience and a little college and/or military service doesn't hurt either. The job will still be here...wait on it and grow up a little more. You'll thank me later.
                    I guess for the sake of clarity (even I was a little confused by the way I structured my last post) given that A) I am accepted into the reserves and B) I am accepted to a jc or 4 year university: Would the benefits of being a reserve deputy be worthwhile later on down the road when I look to go full time? I understand that my personal experience will vary and each reserve unit operates very differently but in general, is it something a department will look at as a somewhat significant plus (given I perform well, which I have no intention of doing anything short of exceeding satisfactory standards) along with the degree I wish to attain as opposed to a traditional 4 year schooling and work experience? Or is it just a, "congratulations for doing something a little extra but it doesn't really do anything for you".
                    I don't' see many agencies hiring a Reserve Deputy who is in college. Maybe 20 yrs ago, maybe 10 yrs ago but not today.

Get your education out of the way..................live a little of the college life (but don't do anything stupid) , be a kid.

You get out of college as a 21/22 yr old---------------in MY mind that is really still TOO YOUNG to start being a cop. (As one who was hired as a 21 yr old MANY YEARS ago----I was way to young at the time)

PERSONALLY (after nearly 4 decades of being in the profession in several different areas/agencies/job descriptions) I wouldn't hire anyone under 25 . But that is just me

Comment

Not entirely true. I was hired under our agency's cadet program which only required a degree. They in turn put us through Skills and their academy and subsequently receiving a "law enforcement certificate".

And then there is the reciprocity approach which requires only experience and no degree as long as you have at least five years.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                        Get your education out of the way..................live a little of the college life (but don't do anything stupid) , be a kid.
                        ^^^This is what it all boils down to and as always, Iowa is spot-on.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11980 users online. 282 members and 11698 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X