Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A good poistion but threading lightly

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A good poistion but threading lightly

    Afternoon

    I am new to the forum but have been monitoring closely for the past few months. To all those that have served and currently serve, thank you for the input and time. A lot of questions have been answered here.

    That being said....

    I consider myself extremely honored to potentially be in a unexpected situation within the next few days... receiving offers from several departments locally.

    This could obviously change, but I'm looking to prepare myself prior so being positive for the time being. I don't wise to burn bridges here,

    Is there a correct method, during an offer, to let a department know that they are not your number one department and you are holding out for another? I would work at any of the three, that is why I applied, but I favor one over the other.

    Thank you.

  • #2
    Originally posted by NotOldButSeasoned View Post
    Is there a correct method, during an offer, to let a department know that they are not your number one department and you are holding out for another? I would work at any of the three, that is why I applied, but I favor one over the other.
    Realistically, you don't. You accept the offer and begin moving towards working for that agency. If your #1 shows up with an offer, you'll have to make a choice. It might sound a little crappy, but what happens when the other 2 agencies don't extend the offer you're expecting? You now have an agency that you've just told that you don't really want to work for them.

    Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if you told an agency that you're holding out for a different offer that they wouldn't pull your contingent right off the table. No agency wants to spend the money to hire someone who isn't going to stick around.
    Originally posted by kontemplerande
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by NotOldButSeasoned View Post
      Afternoon

      I am new to the forum but have been monitoring closely for the past few months. To all those that have served and currently serve, thank you for the input and time. A lot of questions have been answered here.

      That being said....

      I consider myself extremely honored to potentially be in a unexpected situation within the next few days... receiving offers from several departments locally.

      This could obviously change, but I'm looking to prepare myself prior so being positive for the time being. I don't wise to burn bridges here,

      Is there a correct method, during an offer, to let a department know that they are not your number one department and you are holding out for another? I would work at any of the three, that is why I applied, but I favor one over the other.

      Thank you.
      The consensus opinion on this forum is to advise potential officers to take the first job offer you get.
      "One bird in the hand is worth 50 in the bush"

      There are often WAY more applicants than jobs..................you tell job A that they are your "backup" and trust me, MOST will go with THEIR backup and toss your application package in the trash
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

      My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

      Comment


      • #4
        Understood. And taking an offer off of the table would be a honest concern. With both departments talking to each other, as far my steps and in one case knowing what the other was going to do prior to it happening(conditional offer), I didn't know if this was a rare case that should be handled with kitten mittens

        My mindset going in is this is the place I will reside for years to come. I think I made that apparent at the boards and interviews after, but I understand the concern...the academy and the training there after isn't cheap.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by NotOldButSeasoned View Post
          Understood. And taking an offer off of the table would be a honest concern. With both departments talking to each other, as far my steps and in one case knowing what the other was going to do prior to it happening(conditional offer), I didn't know if this was a rare case that should be handled with kitten mittens

          My mindset going in is this is the place I will reside for years to come. I think I made that apparent at the boards and interviews after, but I understand the concern...the academy and the training there after isn't cheap.
          If you are planning on turning down an offer do so at your peril.

          Yep they may be talking to each other and looking to see how you handle the challenge.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

          My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

          Comment


          • #6
            Waiting for an offer from your dream agency may be a great tactic... Depends on what kind of gambler you are....

            As the smart guys (and gals) on this forum already stated.... "Better to have one than none"

            I've see offers go "upside down" for minuscule reasons.... Trust your gut....

            As always.... Your Mileage May Vary
            Everything rises or falls on leadership. Everything.
            drjayirvin.wordpress.com

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by NotOldButSeasoned View Post
              I consider myself extremely honored to potentially be in a unexpected situation within the next few days... receiving offers from several departments locally.

              Dream on. Background DQ. Lacks real life experience.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                The consensus opinion on this forum is to advise potential officers to take the first job offer you get.
                "One bird in the hand is worth 50 in the bush"

                There are often WAY more applicants than jobs..................you tell job A that they are your "backup" and trust me, MOST will go with THEIR backup and toss your application package in the trash
                What he said.

                Comment


                • #9
                  it would never be wise to tell an agency you dont want to work for them. if they ask about other apps, be honest. they want people who want to work there and stay around after the time and money invested into their ranks.

                  if you get two offers decide then politely tell the other you decided to work elsewhere.

                  honestly if u told me that, i would immediately lose all interest in an applicant even if you were first in consideration.
                  sigpic

                  "When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

                  http://www.odmp.org/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    If you don't want to work for them, why did you apply?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BanJoe View Post
                      Waiting for an offer from your dream agency may be a great tactic... Depends on what kind of gambler you are....

                      As the smart guys (and gals) on this forum already stated.... "Better to have one than none"

                      I've see offers go "upside down" for minuscule reasons.... Trust your gut....

                      As always.... Your Mileage May Vary
                      Originally posted by kontemplerande
                      Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Go with the agency that gives you the first offer. My "dream" agency took forever to process me, another agency processed me in half the time and offered me a job. I accepted and loved it. Stayed a few years, got some good experience, and then did the lateral move to my "dream" agency. I had no regrets with the first agency. In the long run the first agency couldn't offer me where I wanted my career to go, due to size and budget, that's the only reason I made the move.

                        Take the first offer .... You may end up loving it and retiring from there. Don't be cocky.
                        It is Attitude, not circumstance, that makes Success possible even in the most unlikely conditions.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Understood. I have been honest and they are aware of the other agencies I applied to as well as my current status with said agencies. It has been a question on each oral board, a a mayor's interview and even prior to the start of my poly appointment. Is it expected to for me to accept on the spot? This process is completely different my real life experiences...or lack there of..

                          Thank you for the insight.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by NotOldButSeasoned View Post
                            U Is it expected to for me to accept on the spot? .
                            I don't believe any of the answers you have been given here are ambiguous.
                            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

                            My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I agree, they have been helpful too. In my state and a few others they utilize policeapp.com for not only job postings but messages from department to applicant. Every step aside from my conditional offer, was updated and presented through a message from the department through via the website directly to me. Only time will tell if I receive an actual offer; the medium in which it is presented, will determine if I have time to make a choice or go with what is offered.

                              Taking the knowledge from those that posted, the "choice" seems obvious though.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 8618 users online. 367 members and 8251 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X