300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on Contacting After Non-Acceptance Letter

So I recently applied with to a department which I thought was top notch and my dream place to work at. My background: B.S. in Neuroscience and working towards my Master's and will be completed with it next May and I was an out-of-state applicant, but I only live 4 hours from the department. My application was accepted and I went down for fitness testing and written exam, which I feel that I really well with the fitness testing and aced the written exam. Later that same day, I completed the polygraph and then the following day, the oral board interview, which I feel that I did amazing on. The recruiting staff was incredibly approachable and I spoke with the recruiting Sergeant multiple times throughout the process. I left the department feeling confident that I would receive a letter stating that I was inviting to the next step of the process, the medical/psychological evaluations. Unfortunately, I received a letter stating that the Chief went with the more qualified applicants. The applicant class that I was a part of was larger than usual, according to the recruiting staff, with about 12-14 applicants. Out of the class, I believe 1-2 went to the Citadel and 2-3 may have had prior military experience. Granted, I'm only going on 23 years old and my only experience is college-based, but I feel that my performance throughout the application process would have gotten me to the next phase.

My question: would it be unprofessional of me to email the recruiting Sergeant asking more information on why I wasn't selected to continue further through the hiring process? I understand against possible Citadel graduates and people with military backgrounds that they would be chosen over me, but I would just like to know if I actually did anything wrong so I can correct it for future applications to other departments.

Thank you in advance.

Just because you feel you did well or "amazing" in the process does not mean you in fact did so. Doing well in the process does not mean that other people did not do better than you. For protection against litigation, do not expect any feedback from the department.

Comment

Originally posted by trappd10 View Post
      My question: would it be unprofessional of me to email the recruiting Sergeant asking more information on why I wasn't selected to continue further through the hiring process? I understand against possible Citadel graduates and people with military backgrounds that they would be chosen over me, but I would just like to know if I actually did anything wrong so I can correct it for future applications to other departments.
      You were given the answer in the letter you received.

The Chief went with a better qualified candidate.

Most of the time, that is the only reason a person is not accepted to continue.............but most likely that is the only answer you will receive.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

While you feel did well in the phases of the process you participated in, it wasn't sufficient for you to move into the next phase(s) of the process. What counts at the end of the day, is how the agency feels concerning a given applicant.

As has been noted to you, agencies will seldom give an applicant a specific, in depth reason for his/her not being selected or advancing to a further phase in the hiring process. There are many reasons for this, including potential litigation. I would recommend you not contact the agency concerning your not being advanced in the process.

On a more positive note, your experience is more typical than you might think. Many applicants don't make the cut on their first attempt.
        I urge you to keep trying, and do your very best at any process you might enter. Good luck.

Comment

What is it with people not accepting 'No'?

You didn't make it. They don't want to hear from you.
          Move on.

This standard now of questioning every decision is ****ing stupidity at its ME finest.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
            What is it with people not accepting 'No'?

You didn't make it. They don't want to hear from you.
            Move on.

This standard now of questioning every decision is ****ing stupidity at its ME finest.
            My reasoning, as mentioned in my post, is so I can correct anything for future applying purposes. Considering the general consensus, I will not be contacting this department and will be moving on to other departments.

CCCSD, I believe that this standard of questioning stems from the amount of young, educated individuals entering the law enforcement field. Educated people want to know why something is the way it is and the older, more experienced officers tend to not understand that.

Comment

My reasoning, as mentioned in my post, is so I can correct anything for future applying purposes. Considering the general consensus, I will not be contacting this department and will be moving on to other departments.

CCCSD, I believe that this standard of questioning stems from the amount of young, educated individuals entering the law enforcement field. Educated people want to know why something is the way it is and the older, more experienced officers tend to not understand that.

Careful there Sprout. What my colleague posted is the pure unmitigated truth. You'd be wise to both assimilate and accept that fact. Simply stated, neither you nor I are automatically entitled to an explanation of why a particular decision was made concerning us. There are many exceptions to that very general premise, but a LE agency not explaining it's reason(s) for taking a pass on you, isn't one of them.

Certainly, you may inquire. Simply be prepared for the realities we've attempted to explain to you. There's just the slightest hint of entitlement, mingled with a little "snarkiness" in your post to my colleague. You'd better ditch that, here and now. That is, unless you really want to continue to be a "Non Select" in any process you enter.

Keep in mind that this whole thing is really about impressions. Make a bad one here, and yeah, you'll get away with it. You'll get called on it, but at the end of the day, so what? Give an agency the wrong impression, you're toast. That really is simple, and it's also the truth.

Grow up a little, get on with your life. Make some adjustments though. Once more, good luck.

Comment

Huh, and you didn't get selected. Imagine that. I *wonder* if there's any correlation between the non-selection and the above statement......
                Originally posted by kontemplerande
                Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Jesus... ANOTHER self entitled moke.

Since I've got a Masters and 30 years in various fields, I'll just step aside and continue with MY work, while "educated" ****tards like you continue to believe their so ****ing special.

Go get your shinebox. Learn a people skill.
                  Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                    Jesus... ANOTHER self entitled moke.

Since I've got a Masters and 30 years in various fields, I'll just step aside and continue with MY work, while "educated" ****tards like you continue to believe their so ****ing special.

Go get your shinebox. Learn a people skill.
                    CCCSD, in no way whatsoever was I trying to disrespect you, your profession or your experience; I was merely stating a fact that I have learned from speaking with experienced law enforcement officers and from conducting research on older officers that tend to cringe at the sight of young, curious minds. Young people tend to think they are a plethora of knowledge and try to challenge their superiors and I for one can tell you that I am most certainly not one of them and I am absolutely not even the slightest bit self-entitled. I have worked hard for everything that I have, but I do not believe I am any better than anyone else.

Now that I have the attention from very experienced forum members (granted, this attention was not intentional), out of curiosity (hopefully this time it won't get me in trouble) how many agencies did you all apply to before you were picked up?

Comment

WHAT?

No junior....................the OLDER MORE EXPERIENCED officers tend to understand the word NO. Because we were taught that no means no, not maybe.

We were also taught that hiring decisions are made by EXPERIENCED commanders who take a myriad of factors into their decisions and they are not accustomed to explaining their decisions.

As far as "better educated"-------------you probably need to watch who you are talking to.......
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

When you get the dreaded letter, it usually means there was an issue during the last phase of the testing process you participated in. Based solely on your description of the timeline of events, it would appear you failed to score high enough during the oral to continue in the process.

Going with "other more qualified candidates" means they will hire someone who got a passing score on the oral and has not otherwise been disqualified in other phases of testing.

No one will discuss your oral exam with you because doing so could violate test security practices and disclose information that could give you or others you might share it with an unfair advantage in future testing.

There is no dishonor in not scoring high enough in any part of the testing process. You just keep trying until you pass.
                        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Huh, well this thread went to a furball quick.

Short answer: Don't ask, they won't tell. Do your best next time and the time after that until you get hired or you give up.

The end.
                          I miss you, Dave.
                          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                            WHAT?

No junior....................the OLDER MORE EXPERIENCED officers tend to understand the word NO. Because we were taught that no means no, not maybe.

We were also taught that hiring decisions are made by EXPERIENCED commanders who take a myriad of factors into their decisions and they are not accustomed to explaining their decisions.

As far as "better educated"-------------you probably need to watch who you are talking to.......
                            At no point in any of my post did I say "better educated". And the purpose of my post was not to evoke an onslaught of rage from experienced members of this forum. I am just trying to get advice from experienced members and better myself for the next time around. I have the upmost respect for all of you and this forum.

Comment

At no point in any of my post did I say "better educated"..
                              It was implied........................and you are lying if you purport anything else

You got your advice and editorialized about that advice.................THAT is when you received "rage" .

Oh, you haven't seen "rage" yet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5375 users online. 222 members and 5153 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X