Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I qualified for the LAPD?

Hello everyone,

I was hoping to get some feedback on passing the LAPD background investigation. I am 22 years old, I graduated from USC with a 3.784 GPA in December 2014, I have a completely clean record, never tried any drugs (not even cigarettes), both of my parents were in the LAPD for 30 years, my older brother is an LAPD sergeant, I am physically fit, very knowledgeable of the department, and I have nothing but positive references to give. I actually even won a scholarship from the LAPD!

What I am worried about is my employment history. I worked two different part-time jobs during school, both of which I worked for over a year and have great references from. However, after I graduated, I worked for a start-up for 5 months (though I was their intern for 4 months leading up, so 9 months total), then left for another position, but left that position after only two weeks because I was extremely uncomfortable with the business's ethics. My managers would come into work intoxicated, perform questionable business practices, gloat about using illegal drugs on the weekends, etc.

Joining that company was a huge mistake on my part. I should have done more research before jumping in. I've been unemployed for 3 months now, but I am about to start a new job next week. Though I've never been fired from any job, that two week position and period of unemployment worries me.

My question is that given my clean background, references, college degree, and history of involvement with the LAPD, how much will that two week job hurt me? I want to start the LAPD application process as soon as possible because I know this process takes 6 months to a year, and I honestly don't want to waste any more time not doing my dream job. I was thinking of starting the application process the beginning of next year to put some time between the two week stint and the application. Any thoughts on this? I hear the LAPD is on a hiring push lately, so is it worth potentially applying earlier?

You should post this in the CA section of the forum.
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

You're fine.

Comment

Hopefully, this site is still active. Try www.policebackground.net. This is a privately owned website, geared to assisting LAPD applicants. You'll meet some great folks, and gain some really good insights.

Now, get your butt down to personnel and begin applying. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the motivation PhilipCal! I've been trying to get login access to that forum for months. I think the administrator might have let it die.

Comment

Stop worrying man, if that's the worst part of your background you'll be fine.

Comment

Why don't you ask your brother?

Comment

LAPD has a recruitment web page and actually a recruitment unit that will answer any and all questions you might ask
                Give them a call

http://www.joinlapd.com/recruitment.cfm
                My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

You'll be fine. Your background looks solid and you have close family at the agency which will help.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                    Hopefully, this site is still active. Try www.policebackground.net. This is a privately owned website, geared to assisting LAPD applicants. You'll meet some great folks, and gain some really good insights.

Now, get your butt down to personnel and begin applying. Good luck.
                    www.policebackground.net is still active since 2006. Thanks PhillipCal for the referral!
                    Policebackground.net - Background investigation consulting & forums
                    http://www.policebackground.net
                    Facebook page: The Police Applicant Group (North America)

Comment

Originally posted by LA_Backgrounds View Post

www.policebackground.net is still active since 2006. Thanks PhillipCal for the referral!
                      Phil has been dead for 3 yrs
                      My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Oh so sorry to hear this. He was one of our admins on the website and I hadn’t heard from him. Such a great guy. Ok, thanks for the information.
                        Policebackground.net - Background investigation consulting & forums
                        http://www.policebackground.net
                        Facebook page: The Police Applicant Group (North America)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3121 users online. 159 members and 2962 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X