300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disqualified at Medical

Recently, I was disqualified at the medical evaluation for a local PD. The physician noted that I had a hernia and requested a letter of recommendation from my doctor. The physician noted that the hernia would need to be repaired before he would clear me for police work. Upon being evaluated by my doctor, he noted that my hernia wasn't severe enough that it would require surgery and wrote a waiver to clear me for police work, however the county physician still disqualified me, saying that despite my doctors opinion, there have been cases of other police applicants going through the academy only for their hernias to get worse.

I am in the early stages of the hiring process with other agencies and would rather not wait to get to the medical evaluation, only to be disqualified again or deferred because of the same problem, so would it be best if I went ahead and talked with my doctor again and attempt to get the hernia repaired or is it rare that a department's physician would override an applicant's personal doctor's opinion?
    Last edited by AM92; 06-26-2015, 03:06 PM.

Let me attempt to assist you with how this works. The examining physician in this instance works for, or is directly employed by the entity you've applied to. He/she must evaluate you in light of the existing physical standards for that agency.

OTH, your personal physician is precisely that. Your personal physician. He/she may state that you're physically qualified to work in a LE position. If however, your condition is one which would disqualify you, the agency's physician would render the operative medical finding.

I'm not calling your personal physician's qualifications into account. I'm merely stating that unless/until your medical issue(s) is corrected, you're going to encounter this problem.

In the other applications you referenced, you may wish to determine from these agencies if your hernia will pose a problem. Hope things work out for you.

Comment

Also, hernia's do NOT heal themselves. They will eventually get worse. And they will get worse at a very inopportune time.

True story.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
        Let me attempt to assist you with how this works. The examining physician in this instance works for, or is directly employed by the entity you've applied to. He/she must evaluate you in light of the existing physical standards for that agency.

OTH, your personal physician is precisely that. Your personal physician. He/she may state that you're physically qualified to work in a LE position. If however, your condition is one which would disqualify you, the agency's physician would render the operative medical finding.

I'm not calling your personal physician's qualifications into account. I'm merely stating that unless/until your medical issue(s) is corrected, you're going to encounter this problem.

In the other applications you referenced, you may wish to determine from these agencies if your hernia will pose a problem. Hope things work out for you.
        From speaking with the recruiters at the other agencies, they could not give me a definitive answer and stated that, it would also have to be determined by their department's physician. Honestly, instead of waiting to find out, I would rather and will try to get this taken care of ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by AM92 View Post
          The physician noted that the hernia would need to be repaired before he would clear me for police work..........................., however the county physician still disqualified me, saying that despite my doctors opinion, there have been cases of other police applicants going through the academy only for their hernias to get worse.
          There are your operative statements

You are NOT going to be cleared by that agency without corrective surgery. End of story

Your mileage MAY vary at other agencies
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
            There are your operative statements

You are NOT going to be cleared by that agency without corrective surgery. End of story

Your mileage MAY vary at other agencies

Yep, that's what I was trying to tell you. Iowa did it better.

Comment

Your hernia WILL rupture at the wrong time. Get it fixed now. Reapply in a year when it's completely healed.
              Last edited by CCCSD; 06-27-2015, 06:15 PM.
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Like others have said a hernia can be a life threatening condition. I ignored mine and it got worse. They don't heal themselves. The surgery I had to repair it was a breeze and I was back in short order. Don't ignore it, get it fixed or take your chances on a life threatening condition.

BTW, I'm a chicken when it comes to going under the knife but that wasn't bad, don't know what I was worried about.
                Last edited by bpd303; 06-27-2015, 05:16 PM. Reason: BTW
                Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
                In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
                Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
                Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

Under the workers compensation laws of most states, if a preexisting medical condition is made worse by a work related injury, the employer is not only liable for the cost of curing the condition, they may also be liable for the cost of treating it for the rest of your life.

Lifting, squatting, pushing, pulling and altercations are all common tasks of law enforcement that can cause a hernia to rupture. No employer in their right mind will hire you with a hernia, knowing they risk having to pay to fix it down the road and for the rest of your life.
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by AM92 View Post
                    From speaking with the recruiters at the other agencies, they could not give me a definitive answer and stated that, it would also have to be determined by their department's physician. Honestly, instead of waiting to find out, I would rather and will try to get this taken care of ASAP.

Great idea.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                      Yep, that's what I was trying to tell you. Iowa did it better.

No. You attempted to educate in a thoughtful & articulate way and the guy doesn't want to listen. Iowa is just driving the stake through the heart of the beast in his typically efficient and straight forward way due to the beast not wanting to listen.

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                      Under the workers compensation laws of most states, if a preexisting medical condition is made worse by a work related injury, the employer is not only liable for the cost of curing the condition, they may also be liable for the cost of treating it for the rest of your life.

Lifting, squatting, pushing, pulling and altercations are all common tasks of law enforcement that can cause a hernia to rupture. No employer in their right mind will hire you with a hernia, knowing they risk having to pay to fix it down the road and for the rest of your life.
                      ^^THIS

Listen, AM92, if you get picked up by that agency w/o the hernia being fixed THEY will then have to pay for the eventual repair of hernia (matter of time). The LE doc is just doing his responsibility in protecting the agency as he's paid to do. Get the dang thing fixed and move on in the hiring.......or don't.
                      Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
                      “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
                      “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
                      "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
                      ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

I would like to give you all an update. I met with a general surgeon, and after a thorough examination, he determined that I did not have a hernia, but merely a strain. He advised me to refrain from doing certain exercises for few weeks and to follow up with him if the strain worsens.

Thank you all for your help!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3623 users online. 181 members and 3442 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X