Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DQ'd from L.A.S.D. should i appeal? please help!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DQ'd from L.A.S.D. should i appeal? please help!

i just recently got a letter that i have been DQ'd from LASD after failing my oral exam. i would like to appeal but i have heard everything from you can get black balled and you will never be a LEO to Yes do appeal and it shows you really want the job. to be honest i don't even know where to start with appealing an oral interview because you need to "show that an error was made in determining your eligibility and provide specific facts and information to demonstrate where an error occurred". they don't give me any facts or reasons why i failed in the letter except "not passing the oral interview portion of the background process" the man who interviewed me at the end told me that i needed to run, that i don't know what i am getting into, and i need to go on ride alongs and talk to more deputies. but i have done and completed all of those things.(the ride along came after) the interview lasted for less than two minutes and he didn't look at my packet so i don't know where he got that information to DQ me. my question is how do i write an appeal letter? my goal is not to prove this man wrong and make him look bad, my goal is to just complete the poly and get into the academy.
    any advice will help, thanks guys

on a side note- why do people on this forum despise newcomers? we were in the same shoes as you were at one point and all we want is guidance. i personally respect you guys but ****ing on peoples cheerios and telling them they cant make it, give up, do something else because they failed one test, doesnt give us much to look up to. i dont hate the guy that DQ'd me and i dont think he was being unfair i just wished he looked at my background packet and gave me more than a few minutes. yes my interview skills were not amazing (and i will read what ever material you suggest to help). i passed the JSQ, passed the written, passed the VPAT and i had 4 days to do my background packet till i had my oral interview and i had it all completed. i didnt have any time to study for the oral. the only advice i got was be honest and relax, that didnt work out. my goal was to find a way to get back into the hiring process and into the academy. i dont know anything about appeals and this letter just recently fell in my lap, i just wanted to know what would be the best strategy to write this appeal letter without offending the agency or even worse getting black balled, i didnt know it would turn into such a heated debate. yes im almost 23 and i dont have all the answers
    Last edited by west is the best; 06-01-2015, 01:07 AM. Reason: updated info

How did you fail LASD oral lol. All my friends from the academy said that the LASD oral was extremely easy. Do exactly what that deputy advised you to do. Show persistance.

Comment

You apply to other agencies. LASD doesn't feel you qualify. Move on.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by west is the best View Post
        how do i write an appeal letter? my goal is not to prove this man wrong and make him look bad, my goal is to just complete the poly and get into the academy.
        any advice will help, thanks guys
        Quite honestly if you can't figure out how to appeal by yourself you probably shouldn't

Move on
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Could possibly be that your interview skills sucked. Maybe your answers weren't what they were looking for. Maybe you aren't as qualified as other applicants. Regardless, failing an oral board is not a career killer.

You could appeal but 99.9% likely you will be disappointed with the response.

Or... Work on your interview skills, get some experience or education that will make you more competitive and keep testing.

Comment

After reading your post again... Sounds to me that the person who interviewed you gave you the precise reasons why. I suggest doing the things he told.

How old are you? Sounds to me that they don't think you have enough life experience or maturity at this point.

Comment

"not passing the oral interview portion of the background process"
              Originally posted by CarRamRod View Post
              Could possibly be that your interview skills sucked. Maybe your answers weren't what they were looking for. Maybe you aren't as qualified as other applicants. Regardless, failing an oral board is not a career killer.

I think you missed a major item in that run together paragraph.......................He failed the interview PORTION OF THE BACKGROUND

That is much more serious than failing an interview.

He has a fundamental problem that made the starting of a background unnecessary
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

When you fail the oral it's usually because you were unable to demonstrate that you meet the minimum standards for the position you are seeking. Here's what most orals rate you on in California. Do a self assessment and try to figure out where you stand in comparison with these criteria:

• Experience – assesses your ability and experience in accepting responsibilities and performing assigned tasks as demonstrated through achievements in work, school, and other activities.

• Problem Solving – assesses your reasoning skills in developing timely, logical responses to a wide variety of situations and problems.

• Communication Skills – assesses your oral communications skills, which includes speaking, listening, and non-verbal communication.

• Interest/Motivation – addresses your interest in and preparedness for the peace officer job. It includes an assessment of your general level of interest, initiative, and goal orientation.

• Interpersonal Skills – assesses many facets, such as social knowledge/appropriateness, social insight, empathy, social influence, social self-regulation, sociability, team orientation, social self-confidence, conflict management skills, and negotiating skills.

• Community Involvement/Awareness – focuses specifically on your experiences and interest in community issues, as well as your interest in and ability to fill multiple roles and serve a diverse community.

Sometimes orals can be lengthy, other times they can be short if the applicant says or does something that immediately indicates a lack of qualifications. For example, an officer who sat on his department orals spoke of a candidate who was disqualified after just one question. When asked why he thought he would make a good police officer, the applicant's response was, "Because I'm a good boy. My mommy said so." Because his response indicated a lack of maturity and life experience, the interview ended after that one question.

In order for you to successfully appeal you must demonstrate one of two things. Either you provided appropriate responses to the oral board questions and were improperly scored, or the questions/responses used to fail you had no legitimate relationship to the position you are seeking. If you can't establish either of those, there is no basis for appeal.

Please understand that law enforcement is a profession that operates by rules and policies that for the most part are written to establish fairness for everyone. If you are appealing just because you don't like failing and want a do over rather than on legitimate grounds, you will appear to be an immature applicant who is unworthy of consideration, not only to LASD but to every agency you apply with in the future.

There is no dishonor in failing an oral. It simply means you didn't score high enough to move on to the next step in the process, so you learn from it, prepare yourself better for next time and keep applying elsewhere or apply again later at LASD. Some colleges CJ Departments and some PDs hold mock orals to help prepare applicants. Call around, see who does this and when you find out who does, sign up. It may be of immense help at the next place you apply.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I'm almost 23 years of age

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                    You apply to other agencies. LASD doesn't feel you qualify. Move on.
                    Would it be better if I applied to a different sheriffs/ police department and a good amount of years then transfer? I heard they had a dual track program where lasd will put you straight onto patrol. That being said I do want to spend some time in corrections, you learn a lot but I really don't want to stay there for years.
                    Last edited by west is the best; 05-31-2015, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                      Quite honestly if you can't figure out how to appeal by yourself you probably shouldn't

Move on
                      Forgive me but this is my first time receiving a disqualification letter

Comment

You need to figure out what you want. If LASD isn't in the cards, don't go somewhere else in the hopes you can lateral.
                        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

An appeals process for hiring is unheard of around here. If you don't cut it you either go work at McDonald's or start the process all over again. If you lasted only two minutes I would say you aren't going to get another shot. That could be applied to other things as well.
                          Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

Forgive me but this is my first time receiving a disqualification letter
                            It doesn't matter if it is the first or the 50th time.

You are 23 yrs old.......................

If you can't figure out what to say about why the agency didn't' hire you and why YOU feel that disqualification is not fair, I don't think you are qualified for the job to begin with.

Obviously neither did the background investigator who interviewed you and dropped you from contention without further measures

The reasons for your DQ letter were quite clear.

He stated (according to YOU) "not passing the oral interview portion of the background process" the man who interviewed me at the end told me that i needed to run, that i don't know what i am getting into,

The BLUE highlighted portion is saying you don't have a clue about the job and what it entails...........The RED portion told you that you didn't meet enough of the basic qualifications for the job that it was worth their while to even process you any further

Comment

Originally posted by CarRamRod View Post

You could appeal but 99.9% likely you will be disappointed with the response.

Or... Work on your interview skills, get some experience or education that will make you more competitive and keep testing.
                              i will take your advice and wait, that seems like the best strategy. is there any study material you would recommend?
                              Last edited by west is the best; 05-31-2015, 08:31 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6080 users online. 315 members and 5765 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X