Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Input Requested on Applicant Suitability

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Input Requested on Applicant Suitability

    Hello everyone, I'm currently pursuing my goal of making a career out of Law Enforcement with the Gwinnett County Police Department. My father and grandfather were both officers in this Department and it's a legacy I strongly desire to continue for many reasons.

    If you'll bear with me I'd like to ask you for your advice, input and feedback on what I can do to better myself as an applicant and ultimately achieve my goal of being hired.

    I'm currently 19, and working out the details of enrolling in a technical college for a Criminal Justice Diploma or Associates Degree. I have no work history and I'm currently looking for employment, as I believe an applicant with no work history would not likely be hired, correct me if I'm wrong.

    I have never been pulled over, and have no traffic citations or criminal history. However during my Sophomore year of high school I made some bad decisions and joined some friends on a few occasions throughout the year in using marijuana. This is a mistake I've made and moved on from, I do not plan on ever using it again and will disclose all of this information when I apply.

    Any feedback or advice on what I can do to improve my suitability as an applicant is greatly appreciated and thank you for your time.

  • #2
    Don't pay any money to a private for profit school. Go to jr college, don't get a CJ degree.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

    Comment


    • #3
      Thank you for the feedback, can you explain why a CJ degree is a bad idea?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by S_Shell View Post
        Thank you for the feedback, can you explain why a CJ degree is a bad idea?
        You could use the search function, however…what if you don't cut it in LE or don't like it? That CJ degree is worth just as much as one in liberal arts. (Yes, I have a B.A. in CJ….)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BrownShirt View Post
          You could use the search function, however…what if you don't cut it in LE or don't like it? That CJ degree is worth just as much as one in liberal arts. (Yes, I have a B.A. in CJ….)
          Thank you for the response, I don't mean to come across as arrogant but I believe I would enjoy Law Enforcement. I'll keep this in mind though.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm not in law enforcement myself but from what I've read your already on the right path. Tell the truth and you shouldn't have any problems getting hired.

            As far as employment look for something that deals with the public (security is what I do and have been doing for 6+ years). I also volunteer for a fire department which is great community service and cross training. Just some ideas for you.

            Best of luck!


            Follow me on Instagram @CT2015Legacy
            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by KBB89 View Post
              I'm not in law enforcement myself but
              No but.... You shouldn't be responding in ask a COP
              NYPD Exam 2302 (July, 2011) - 9x.xxx
              List number (December, 2011) - 2xx
              APD -???

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by S_Shell View Post
                Hello everyone, I'm currently pursuing my goal of making a career out of Law Enforcement with the Gwinnett County Police Department. My father and grandfather were both officers in this Department and it's a legacy I strongly desire to continue for many reasons.

                If you'll bear with me I'd like to ask you for your advice, input and feedback on what I can do to better myself as an applicant and ultimately achieve my goal of being hired.

                I'm currently 19, and working out the details of enrolling in a technical college for a Criminal Justice Diploma or Associates Degree. I have no work history and I'm currently looking for employment, as I believe an applicant with no work history would not likely be hired, correct me if I'm wrong.

                I have never been pulled over, and have no traffic citations or criminal history. However during my Sophomore year of high school I made some bad decisions and joined some friends on a few occasions throughout the year in using marijuana. This is a mistake I've made and moved on from, I do not plan on ever using it again and will disclose all of this information when I apply.

                Any feedback or advice on what I can do to improve my suitability as an applicant is greatly appreciated and thank you for your time.
                So far the only thing you bring to the table as a candidate is your "legacy"---That will NOT get you hired
                Go get a degree-------------a FOUR YR degree in ANY THING YOU WANT TO STUDY If it is Criminal Justice that is fine.
                Go flip burgers at Micky D's and get some work history
                Keep your nose clean until you are 23-25 and then with a degree, work history and/or some military experience THEN apply
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

                My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by S_Shell View Post
                  Thank you for the response, I don't mean to come across as arrogant but I believe I would enjoy Law Enforcement. I'll keep this in mind though.



                  It's not an issue of "enjoying law enforcement". It's an issue of the marketability of the degree. That's where the C.J. is often lacking. We constantly urge prospective applicants to obtain just about any degree. Once more, I'll suggest you utilize the search function to see the numerous discussions we've done on this subject.

                  In very general terms, and as you begin entering any given hiring process, what will be critical is how well you test. This often includes a written exam, oral board/interview, physical ability/agility tests, medical exams, and a very thorough and comprehensive background investigation. Not all of these take place in the order I've mentioned them.

                  Testing, and how well you do in it, will be critical to your being hired just about anywhere.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by S_Shell View Post
                    Thank you for the response, I don't mean to come across as arrogant but I believe I would enjoy Law Enforcement. I'll keep this in mind though.
                    Do you realize that approximately 30-40 % of the people who make it through an academy, make it through FTO and start working on their own ----------------quit at or around their 5th anniversary on the job?

                    Do you know that approximately 10% of the people I have worked with in Law Enforcement over the 38 years I have been active actually RETIRED from law enforcement?
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

                    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      And rookie cops have been permanently injured or killed on their first day. Think THAT through very carefully.
                      Now go home and get your shine box!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks for all of the replies, I appreciate the advice.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by S_Shell View Post
                          Thank you for the feedback, can you explain why a CJ degree is a bad idea?
                          It's not a BAD idea, it just may not be the BEST idea.

                          Study whatever will get you the best grades, that's MOST important unless departments there REQUIRE degrees in CJ/police science/whatever. There are a few here that do. Also consider that your academy will likely count for college credit. No point in taking all those classes now and not getting credit for the academy because they double up.

                          A more broad skill set can be useful... IT, accounting, business, even hard sciences have their uses both in and out of law enforcement.
                          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

                          "With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                            It's not a BAD idea, it just may not be the BEST idea.

                            Study whatever will get you the best grades, that's MOST important unless departments there REQUIRE degrees in CJ/police science/whatever. There are a few here that do. Also consider that your academy will likely count for college credit. No point in taking all those classes now and not getting credit for the academy because they double up.

                            A more broad skill set can be useful... IT, accounting, business, even hard sciences have their uses both in and out of law enforcement.
                            A English major would help you a lot in this job. So many reports....

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                              Do you realize that approximately 30-40 % of the people who make it through an academy, make it through FTO and start working on their own ----------------quit at or around their 5th anniversary on the job?

                              Do you know that approximately 10% of the people I have worked with in Law Enforcement over the 38 years I have been active actually RETIRED from law enforcement?

                              This is dead on. I just finished my first year on the job. I had an 8 week FTO program. My FTO had a few minor concerns at the end of the 8 weeks. So they decided to release me for 4 weeks, then evaluate me again for a week. After that week he signed off on me. For the remainder of my first year my FTO kept an eye on what I did and now has written a letter approving of me passing my probationary period. It's not over when you get the offer. You MUST validate your departments decision...

                              Sorry for rambling, but the point is let's say you don't make it through all that, you may want a degree that you can fall back on.
                              NYPD Exam 2302 (July, 2011) - 9x.xxx
                              List number (December, 2011) - 2xx
                              APD -???

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4219 users online. 200 members and 4019 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X