Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question in becoming a officer, while being in national guard part time

Hi,
    As many of you guys probably know, getting into a law enforcement career is pretty competitive nowadays. I am 23 years old and have a B.A. degree in criminal justice. I do lack job experience, so to help with that I am about to enlist into the national guard part time (infantry). Should I wait out my contract and apply for LEO jobs? And is it possible to apply and get hired into LEO after my basic training but still have couple years left into my contract?

Thousands of police officers nationwide are in the National Guard
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

First, I’m going to suggest you are headed down the wrong path.

Most state, county and city civil service agencies hire based on your combined written and oral test scores. Work and life experience won’t help you on the written. They will help on the oral but will only count for a fraction of your score. Instead, here’s what most orals score you on:

• Experience – assesses your ability and experience in accepting responsibilities and performing assigned tasks as demonstrated through achievements in work, school, and other activities.

• Problem Solving – assesses your reasoning skills in developing timely, logical responses to a wide variety of situations and problems.

• Communication Skills – assesses your oral communications skills, which includes speaking, listening, and non-verbal communication.

• Interest/Motivation – addresses your interest in and preparedness for the peace officer job. It includes an assessment of your general level of interest, initiative, and goal orientation.

• Interpersonal Skills – assesses many facets, such as social knowledge/appropriateness, social insight, empathy, social influence, social self-regulation, sociability, team orientation, social self-confidence, conflict management skills, and negotiating skills.

• Community Involvement/Awareness – focuses specifically on your experiences and interest in community issues, as well as your interest in and ability to fill multiple roles and serve a diverse community.

In some respects, being in the Guard can be a hindrance. If you apply with a small to medium agency, being away for drills or emergencies can put a crimp in your department’s scheduling needs. Federal law says a department may not discriminate against an applicant who is in the guard, however, if a Chief has a choice between an applicant who is in the Guard and one who is not, many have been known to go with the one who does not have military obligations that can adversely impact departmental needs. OTOH, if you are applying with a large agency where they have enough staff to absorb the loss, it is usually not an issue.

I say go for it now. The worst that can happen is you fail a couple of orals. There is no dishonor in that and it is not looked upon as a DQ.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

The above. Again and again!
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by marty_mcfly View Post
          Hi,
          As many of you guys probably know, getting into a law enforcement career is pretty competitive nowadays. I am 23 years old and have a B.A. degree in criminal justice. I do lack job experience, so to help with that I am about to enlist into the national guard part time (infantry). Should I wait out my contract and apply for LEO jobs? And is it possible to apply and get hired into LEO after my basic training but still have couple years left into my contract?
          Do the military for 4-8 and then look into becoming an LEO. Also, don't get married, have a girlfriend, or any pets until your adult life is in order and you are out of the military. Since you plan on joining the military, regulate your personal conduct and your spending habits religiously. Contrary to what your peers might tell you, you are not entitled to many of the things that you might consider spending your military pay on and you may later regret many of the things that you might end up doing with your peers because you thought it would be fun/make you happy/whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
            Thousands of police officers nationwide are in the National Guard
            Probably tens of thousands.

Comment

Being in the guard or reserve is not going to help you get hired. If you need job experience, get a job.

+1 to L-1.

Comment

I'm in the National Guard and got hired by my dept while I had about 3 years left on my current contract. Like others have said, it depends on your dept whether being the the Guard helps or hinders. I'm lucky to work for a dept that is large enough to have quite a few people in the Guard. But I'd say if you're joining solely in order to "be more competitive" and not because you actually want to serve, you're going to be miserable for 6+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                  Probably tens of thousands.
                  I know...............heck it seemed like a thousand were in the guard in MY agency alone
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I appreciate some of the helpful comments. Thank you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11705 users online. 416 members and 11289 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X