300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worried a bout being dropped from philly pd recruitment process

I interviewed July 2014 and my rank is 3xx. I hit a huge bump in the road I got terminated from a job back in 2012 and I was totally honest about it. I was scared to tell it and I convinced myself I would just say I got laid off on the interview but when I got there I just didn't wanna run from it anymore and told the truth. My BI seemed Ok about it but she said I would be in review that could last a year that was July 2014. I heard nothing from anyone until early last month asking for another phone number from my past employer that terminated me and I gave the number. She called back saying that my past supervisor declined to answer any questions about me except my start date and finish date. I called her 2 weeks later to try to get a status update she said I was back in review because that supervisor wouldn't speak about me. Now I'm really scared feeling like I won't make it. I failed the pat twice before passing it on the 3rd try my wife and I were so happy now it's just nervousness all the time when I check the mailbox. Possibly waiting another year just to possibly be told no is depressing. does anyone have any insight?

Not much you can do about it now.

I can't understand the department blaming YOU for your former supervisor not wanting to talk about your employment. Most private sector employers will only give dates of employment and possibly wage rate when asked for information.
    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

should I have not told the truth or did I do the right thing?

Comment

Originally posted by Duff View Post
        You did the right thing - ALWAYS tell the truth.

Remember, you are applying for a job where your personal ethics will dictate your success or failure. Once you lie about 1 thing, the trust is forever broken. Telling the truth is ALWAYS the right thing, even if it causes the outcome to be less than you hoped for.

Comment

Originally posted by Duff View Post
          If you even have to ask that question, you should go ahead and drop out of the hiring process for law enforcement.

Comment

It's a liability thing. Your former employer won't talk because anything they say about your time there is admissible in a court of law, as far as a lawsuit is concerned. If they say a bunch of unsubstantiated things about you, you can sue them and win fairly easily. It's no biggie, but some agencies are so anal retentive about it that they consider it a problem.

Comment

I'm just worried. This is a big deal for me and my family and I'm just scared I may have blown it. I've been running from the termination since 2012 and this is the 1st time I'm getting right in front of it. Thanks for replying

Comment

It's not that complicated. The employer won't talk to them so they have nothing good or bad to go on. Unless they can find coworkers who have personal knowledge of what transpired, all they have to go on is what you admitted to.

So what it boils down to are two things. Did whatever you admitted to meet their criteria foe DQ and are they convinced they got the whole story from you?

If you care to share with us what it was that got your fired we can probably give you a ballpark idea.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Shush View Post
                  You did the right thing - ALWAYS tell the truth.

Remember, you are applying for a job where your personal ethics will dictate your success or failure. Once you lie about 1 thing, the trust is forever broken. Telling the truth is ALWAYS the right thing, even if it causes the outcome to be less than you hoped for.
                  Originally posted by AppState View Post
                  If you even have to ask that question, you should go ahead and drop out of the hiring process for law enforcement.
                  Read the above answers 3 or 4 times

Comment

Same exact thing I was going to say

Comment

A little harsh but it's the reality of the profession. The first thing thing that I was told when I got hired on, was TELL THE TRUTH! We lost a guy who just got off the program because he lied when he crashed his cruiser. All he would have gotten was a slap on the wrist but he lied. I was told these things get cops in trouble most..1. Don't Lie 2. Keep your private parts inside your pants while on duty.

Comment

Originally posted by rentacop05 View Post
                        A little harsh but it's the reality of the profession. The first thing thing that I was told when I got hired on, was TELL THE TRUTH! We lost a guy who just got off the program because he lied when he crashed his cruiser. All he would have gotten was a slap on the wrist but he lied. I was told these things get cops in trouble most..1. Don't Lie 2. Keep your private parts inside your pants while on duty.

Nope, not harsh at all

ANYONE who would even consider not telling the truth isn't what is wanted in the profession.

Comment

Long long story .. Just want to be nyc correction officer

I was arrested for takeing a gun to school when i was 14 years old it belong to my step father the found it in my book bag .. I was charge as a minor ..... 25 years later i saw given a desk apperance ticket for menacing 3 degree wich i was not even there judge threw it out , next public hurination wich i paid a fine for and last one for dui that was also thrown out of court... Please if you reply there is no need to offend me .. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by brooklyn 7815 View Post
                            I was arrested for takeing a gun to school when i was 14 years old it belong to my step father the found it in my book bag .. I was charge as a minor ..... 25 years later i saw given a desk apperance ticket for menacing 3 degree wich i was not even there judge threw it out , next public hurination wich i paid a fine for and last one for dui that was also thrown out of court... Please if you reply there is no need to offend me .. Thank you
                            Well, if you are offended by answers you get from professional law enforcement officers on an internet message board you probably don't have the gonads to be a Correctional Officer

My guess is that your public URINATION (not hurination) was alcohol related as was your DUI arrest. No, it doesn't matter that the DUI was "thrown out". You were arrested for it and just because the charge was dismissed doesn't mean you didn't commit the offense.

I am concerned about your alcohol use/abuse record but even more so about you grammar in this "question" statement you typed here

Past charges are investigated by the agency -------------MANY times it doesn't matter if there is a conviction or not. The mere fact that you were charged is enough to raise red flags (alcohol related charges are usually in this category)

Time will be your friend as far as all of your "offences" you relate........ Some agencies will just forget about you totally because of the juvenile gun charge. Some won't like the "menacing" charge

None will like the DUI charge.

My opinion is you are going to me a marginal candidate for employment.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                              Well, if you are offended by answers you get from professional law enforcement officers on an internet message board you probably don't have the gonads to be a Correctional Officer

My guess is that your public URINATION (not hurination) was alcohol related as was your DUI arrest. No, it doesn't matter that the DUI was "thrown out". You were arrested for it and just because the charge was dismissed doesn't mean you didn't commit the offense.

I am concerned about your alcohol use/abuse record but even more so about you grammar in this "question" statement you typed here

Past charges are investigated by the agency -------------MANY times it doesn't matter if there is a conviction or not. The mere fact that you were charged is enough to raise red flags (alcohol related charges are usually in this category)

Time will be your friend as far as all of your "offences" you relate........ Some agencies will just forget about you totally because of the juvenile gun charge. Some won't like the "menacing" charge

None will like the DUI charge.

My opinion is you are going to me a marginal candidate for employment.
                              What he said

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4976 users online. 314 members and 4662 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X