300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another Background Question

Recently I have decided to choose a potential career path in LE. However, after doing some research, I am afraid that some past mistakes that I've made will most likely limit my ability to do so. 4 years ago (when I was a Juvenile in the state of TN) I received a citation for simple possession of a Schedule VI narcotic (marijuana). Additionally, throughout my sophomore and junior years of high school I experimented with a long list of other narcotics. However, despite my shaky high school years, I have since completely turned my life around (cliche, but also accurate). Since graduation I have remained drug-free and enrolled in The University of Kansas where I hold a junior standing and a cumulative 3.9 GPA (business major, minor in economics). I also have held numerous part time jobs, and been offered acceptance to a variety of honor societies. I plan on applying for LE after college graduation which will be in the year 2017, and further the gap between me and my past indiscretions. I have moved from state to state my whole life and am therefore impartial about where I have to live in order to become an LEO, so I will apply just about anywhere that is accepting applications. Any thoughts on my chances, as well as some advice on what I can do to make myself more appealing to departments?

Thank you so much for your time. All of your responses will be greatly appreciate.

Sounds like you've gone over the threshold for drug experimentation...and based on your statement of a LONG LIST of other narcotics I'm going to say don't waste your time. You've probably done some sort of drug that will perm DQ you such as acid, ecstasy, coke, ect ect. Doesn't matter how much time passes or what you did it school since then...you'll forever be a DQ.

Comment

Thank you for the reply!

So, are you referring to only your department when it comes to those permanent DQ's, or are you addressing policing as a whole? From the research I've done not all departments have a perm DQ on the drugs that you've listed (although some do). Some simply have a time requirement since the last time you partook.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by LEOHopefulKS View Post
        Thank you for the reply!

So, are you referring to only your department when it comes to those permanent DQ's, or are you addressing policing as a whole? From the research I've done not all departments have a perm DQ on the drugs that you've listed (although some do). Some simply have a time requirement since the last time you partook.
        Re-read Hot Soup's answer.

Where does it say he was referring to only his agency?

The MAJORITY of agencies have very specific limits on illegal NARCOTIC usage.......and that is usually ZERO tolerance..............(By the way MARIJUANA is NOT a narcotic)

Your "research" might show they are not PERMANENT disqualifications but I will assure you that if you have a "long list" of narcotic usage, you are not going to be a viable candidate for a law enforcement officer position. ANYPLACE.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

So, are juvenile infractions and those committed as an adult looked at the same way when it comes to applications? Also, if I waited a longer amount of time (say, 5-10 years) and kept my nose clean would I still be a highly unlikely candidate for the "minority" of departments that don't hold the past use of narcotics a permanent DQ?

Apologies for misusing the term "narcotic" when referring to marijuana in my original post. I now realize my error.

Thanks!

Comment

Recently I have decided to choose a potential career path in LE. However, after doing some research, I am afraid that some past mistakes that I've made will most likely limit my ability to do so. 4 years ago (when I was a Juvenile in the state of TN) I received a citation for simple possession of a Schedule VI narcotic (marijuana). Additionally, throughout my sophomore and junior years of high school I experimented with a long list of other narcotics. However, despite my shaky high school years, I have since completely turned my life around (cliche, but also accurate). Since graduation I have remained drug-free and enrolled in The University of Kansas where I hold a junior standing and a cumulative 3.9 GPA (business major, minor in economics). I also have held numerous part time jobs, and been offered acceptance to a variety of honor societies. I plan on applying for LE after college graduation which will be in the year 2017, and further the gap between me and my past indiscretions. I have moved from state to state my whole life and am therefore impartial about where I have to live in order to become an LEO, so I will apply just about anywhere that is accepting applications. Any thoughts on my chances, as well as some advice on what I can do to make myself more appealing to departments?

Thank you so much for your time. All of your responses will be greatly appreciate.
            First, let’s talks about drugs. Rather than tells us what you used, how many times and for how long, you just glossed over it. Slick tongued devil that you are, I see a better future for you in politics than in law enforcement where specifics and lack of drug use are important.

You indicate having numerous part time jobs. Depending on the circumstances that can be a red flag indicating instability in employment.

You also indicate constant movement from state to state. Again, that raises the question of why.

I don’t see an easy background here.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

So, are juvenile infractions and those committed as an adult looked at the same way when it comes to applications? Also, if I waited a longer amount of time (say, 5-10 years) and kept my nose clean would I still be a highly unlikely candidate for the "minority" of departments that don't hold the past use of narcotics a permanent DQ?

Apologies for misusing the term "narcotic" when referring to marijuana in my original post. I now realize my error.

Won't matter one iota whether you were a juvenile or an adult...if you did any of the drugs I mentioned you'll be DQ'd especially if you did any type of psychedelic such as X-tasy...YOU will be a PERM DQ for any dept if you have done it...nation wide....doesn't matter how much time has passed or if you've kept your nose clean for 20 years.

Thanks!

Comment

Won't matter one iota whether you were a juvenile or an adult...if you did any of the drugs I mentioned you'll be DQ'd especially if you did any type of psychedelic such as X-tasy...YOU will be a PERM DQ for any dept if you have done it...nation wide....doesn't matter how much time has passed or if you've kept your nose clean for 20 years.

Comment

I am seeing a pattern here, You are glossing over the really bad parts of your history with pharmaceuticals by not giving all the details. I suspect that X, meth, heroin, etc would figure prominently in there somewhere. Age does not play a role in this. You have been told from an early age that drugs are not a good thing. Many many students go through school without sampling these products, but you failed to follow siut. That is on you. You did not get to that point by simply trying MJ a time or two. I would speculate that you indulged yourself frequently there too. You might have only been caught the one time, but you did not simple experiment. You have a track record of drug usage that disqualifies you from ever being an police officer here in the United States. Maybe one of those European countries where they hand out free needles at taxpayer expense will be willing to hire you but no agency here will.
                  In God We Trust
                  Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Thank you for the reply!

Thanks again!

Let's cut to the chase on this one. Your "long list" of drugs is bound to include crack, crack cocaine, ecstasy, etc. Any one of them, even if one time would permanently DQ from most, if not all agencies in the country.

Comment

I understand where all of you are coming from and I honestly do appreciate the responses. I think for the most accurate information, however, I should directly contact the departments in which I intend on applying. I understand that it is going to be an uphill battle, but if I were to give up my pursuit after reading a few responses on an internet forum I am even less cut out to be an LEO than my past drug use would indicate. This will not be the case.

Again, I am very appreciative of your responses and pray that you remain safe while on duty. God bless, and thank you for your service.

Comment

There won't be a battle because your drug usage will stop you before you start... You just aren't getting it....I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you.....but its no skin off my nose...the only time and energy wasted will be yours....I'd like to know what you're told so please keep us informed

Comment

Originally posted by HotSoup
                          ... I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you ...
                          It's quoteworthy.

Comment

I understand where all of you are coming from and I honestly do appreciate the responses. I think for the most accurate information, however, I should directly contact the departments in which I intend on applying. I understand that it is going to be an uphill battle, but if I were to give up my pursuit after reading a few responses on an internet forum I am even less cut out to be an LEO than my past drug use would indicate. This will not be the case.

Again, I am very appreciative of your responses and pray that you remain safe while on duty. God bless, and thank you for your service.

WRONG: concerning uphill battle. It will be a losing battle. Your disqualified as a result of your past drug usage. As my colleague suggested, politics might be more of a possibility for you. Two dopers and former neighborhood pharmacuetical reps get together at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave on a regular basis.

We even have a "poser" here who claims to have knocked back a few cool ones with one of them back in the day.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                              WRONG: concerning uphill battle. It will be a losing battle. Your disqualified as a result of your past drug usage. As my colleague suggested, politics might be more of a possibility for you. Two dopers and former neighborhood pharmacuetical reps get together at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave on a regular basis.

We even have a "poser" here who claims to have knocked back a few cool ones with one of them back in the day.
                              I think it's safe to assume you're referring to me even though I've never posed here or anywhere else as anything I'm not. Yes I did talk with Barry at a bar prior to him running for office. He was courteous and articulate and I disagreed with him on most matters.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9270 users online. 395 members and 8875 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X