Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background question - would love your input please

Good Morning,
    This is my first time ever making it to the background stage.
    I am wondering if I could get your opinion on my situation and if you think I will be hired or not.

Me:
    -early thirties
    -live in California
    -went to UC-Berkeley for undergraduate
    -went to post grad school and got a doctor degree
    -i am tri-lingual (speak fluent Farsi & German)

-T-Score 57
    -Orals score 95% and up

Interviews:
    -1st agency - didn't make it to the Chief's
    -2nd agency - made it to the Chief's interview, but there was 1 spot open and 6 people going into the Chief's interview. Lateral was picked. (there was no backgrounds done yet at that stage).
    -3rd one in backgrounds - about 250 made it to backgrounds and only 50 spots
    -4th agency in backgrounds soon

-no crimes or misdemeanors in background
    -my 10 year driving record shows 3 tickets in 2005-2006 but nothing after that
    -pulled my credit: have $400k in educational loans w/ payments of $450 for them
    -don't have credit cards
    -own a car
    In 2014 I was late on those student loans for about 3 months. The reason was that the payments were about $1,000 a month. I called the lending companies was trying to have them lowered, but that process took about 3 months. All together the payments are now $450 per month. In the last 6 months I have made all payments on time. I know the $400k is a really big amount for student loans. This is my biggest worry. Do you think I have a chance of being selected?

Thank you for your service!
    Be safe out there
    Last edited by havedirection; 03-20-2015, 10:32 AM. Reason: added more detail

What are you doing with that 400K PhD?

Comment

Hi Joe, it's a Doctor of Chiropractic degree Sir.
      When I was in undergraduate, I wanted to join LE. At that time I was very young and my family thought it a LE career was not safe. After graduating from Chiropractic school and having worked at offices, I got to talk to a lot of LE officers that came in for treatments. I thought about it a lot and talked to my family again. They are 100% supportive now.
      Last edited by havedirection; 03-20-2015, 12:36 PM. Reason: added more detail

Comment

Originally posted by havedirection View Post
        it's a Doctor of Chiropractic degree.
        Unless your are a defense doctor working for State Fund, I think the first question most BI's will ask is, how many times has the Department of Insurance investigated you for workers comp fraud?
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

hahaha L-1 it's always fun to read your comments Sir. I work in a few offices. Don't have my own practice. So far no investigations

Comment

Originally posted by havedirection View Post
            hahaha L-1 it's always fun to read your comments Sir. I work in a few offices. Don't have my own practice. So far no investigations
            Oh, that's even worse. You work for multiple duck farms.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
              Oh, that's even worse. You work for multiple duck farms.
              lol L-1 what do you think about my situation though?

Comment

The only potential issue I see is debt to income ratio and what your past credit history looks like.

Many years ago one of my very sharp officers applied for a job with another agency. She was experienced, well regarded and scored high. They had limited openings and went other candidates who had higher credit scores and better debt to income ratios.

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                  The only potential issue I see is debt to income ratio and what your past credit history looks like.

Many years ago one of my very sharp officers applied for a job with another agency. She was experienced, well regarded and scored high. They had limited openings and went other candidates who had higher credit scores and better debt to income ratios.
                  Thank you so much for your input L-1!
                  I truly appreciate it Sir.

Comment

That $400,000 is really gonna not help…at $450 a month, that makes 74 years to pay them off…
                    Otherwise, you're well qualified as can be with no experience.

Comment

If your student loans are federal, you can qualify for loan forgiveness after 10 years of employment as a certified law enforcement officer. The program is called the Public Service Loan Forgiveness plan.

If you've defaulted on your federal loans, you might hit a road block in backgrounds. You will have a lot of explaining to do… but otherwise you sound like a solid candidate. Be prepared to get looked at weird for coming from UC Berkeley. I did a few times when I was shooting out applications.

Comment

Originally posted by BrownShirt View Post
                        That $400,000 is really gonna not help…at $450 a month, that makes 74 years to pay them off…
                        Otherwise, you're well qualified as can be with no experience.
                        Thank you for your input BrownShirt!

Comment

Originally posted by miketheberkeleygrad View Post
                          If your student loans are federal, you can qualify for loan forgiveness after 10 years of employment as a certified law enforcement officer. The program is called the Public Service Loan Forgiveness plan.

If you've defaulted on your federal loans, you might hit a road block in backgrounds. You will have a lot of explaining to do… but otherwise you sound like a solid candidate. Be prepared to get looked at weird for coming from UC Berkeley. I did a few times when I was shooting out applications.
                          Wow ty Ty for your detailed reply Mike!
                          Were you able to get hired anywhere?
                          Thank you for the heads up!

Comment

Many agencies, mine included, seem to be hiring a lot of candidates with degrees. Some have been hired with their only job experience being a life guard. Everyone has student loans. As long as you show that you can manage your money it shouldn't stop you from getting the job.

There's a big difference between late payments and default. As long as you can explain why it happened you should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by bmo210 View Post
                              Many agencies, mine included, seem to be hiring a lot of candidates with degrees. Some have been hired with their only job experience being a life guard. Everyone has student loans. As long as you show that you can manage your money it shouldn't stop you from getting the job.

There's a big difference between late payments and default. As long as you can explain why it happened you should be fine.
                              Thank you so much for your input Bmo! I really appreciate it

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7813 users online. 342 members and 7471 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X