300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenario questions during interviews

I have a couple interviews coming up with departments and I was wondering what types of scenario questions to be prepared for? I am not looking for any help/answers just the types of scenario questions I will see so I can be prepared. Thank you.

Let's begin at the beginning. If you're an entry level applicant, you're not really expected to reply to a scenario question from the perspective of experience. What a given agency is looking for is your ability to think and reason clearly. To articulate your thoughts and reasoning in a clear manner, and not be chivied into backing down or changing your answers.

It would be impossible for me to accurately predict what type of question(s) you'll be asked. OTH. it's entirely possible for you to over think any possible questions or your replies. It's natural to be a little nervous, but don't over think the interview. Good luck.

Comment

I'll help you half way. This is what most orals score you on. Anticipate questions that address all of these areas.

• Experience – assesses your ability and experience in accepting responsibilities and performing assigned tasks as demonstrated through achievements in work, school, and other activities.

• Problem Solving – assesses your reasoning skills in developing timely, logical responses to a wide variety of situations and problems.

• Communication Skills – assesses your oral communications skills, which includes speaking, listening, and non-verbal communication.

• Interest/Motivation – addresses your interest in and preparedness for the peace officer job. It includes an assessment of your general level of interest, initiative, and goal orientation.

• Interpersonal Skills – assesses many facets, such as social knowledge/appropriateness, social insight, empathy, social influence, social self-regulation, sociability, team orientation, social self-confidence, conflict management skills, and negotiating skills.

• Community Involvement/Awareness – focuses specifically on your experiences and interest in community issues, as well as your interest in and ability to fill multiple roles and serve a diverse community.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

The above responses pretty much cover it all. Just remember, they want YOUR answers, not someone else's. The members of the interview panel have built in bull**** detectors and can see through shenanigans easily. Just think about your answers before you respond. If you don't understand something, ask them to read it again or to clarify. Keep safety, common sense, and problem solving in the front of your mind and you'll do fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Amigo1342 View Post
          Just remember, they want YOUR answers, not someone else's.
          Would humorous answers be frowned upon in this situation? Would it be better to have bottled ‘professional’ responses or put your TRUE personality on the line with ‘I’m unleashing my inner artist’ type answers?

Say if the question was along the lines of:

"Would you arrest your favorite uncle if need be?"

and the answer was something like: "My favorite uncle? No....but I have a couple non-favorite uncles that I wouldn't mind parting with. Like a two for one deal." But then maybe completing that with a more serious answer.

Would that come off a deflective and ‘unprofessional’ or would that be seen as ‘down to earth’ and someone you wouldn’t mind spending time with?

(sorry OP, not trying to hijack thread)

Comment

Originally posted by Wac-a-guacamole View Post
            Would humorous answers be frowned upon in this situation?
            ABSOLUTELY. This is a professional interview not a comedy routine

Would it be better to have bottled ‘professional’ responses or put your TRUE personality on the line with ‘I’m unleashing my inner artist’ type answers?
            Your answers should not be "canned" or "bottled" either. This interview could be the difference between you flipping burgers and being a cop. It should be taken seriously and above all you should put your heart and soul into answering the questions posed

If the panel thinks you are just going through the motions..............so will they

and the answer was something like: "My favorite uncle? No....but I have a couple non-favorite uncles that I wouldn't mind parting with. Like a two for one deal." But then maybe completing that with a more serious answer.

Would that come off a deflective and ‘unprofessional’ or would that be seen as ‘down to earth’ and someone you wouldn’t mind spending time with?

Do so at your peril
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Would humorous answers be frowned upon in this situation? Would it be better to have bottled ‘professional’ responses or put your TRUE personality on the line with ‘I’m unleashing my inner artist’ type answers?

I've got a serious question for you. Where in the hell are you getting this crap? These boards aren't interviewing George Burns, John Bulushi, or Bob Hope. Want to totally fail one of these interviews? Show up like you're one of the Three Stooges, and you'll end up yucking it up all the way out the door.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                I've got a serious question for you. Where in the hell are you getting this crap? These boards aren't interviewing George Burns, John Bulushi, or Bob Hope. Want to totally fail one of these interviews? Show up like you're one of the Three Stooges, and you'll end up yucking it up all the way out the door.

My question was out of curiosity based on Amigo's answer; the above was probably a poor example on my part but the idea was valid:

- Would they rather be presented with disingenuous, stiff (professional) responses or would they be willing to take casual responses in order to extract that individual's personality?

It was always my assumption that they were never looking for the actual answers to these questions; rather that these questions were rhetorical in order to determine what that person is actually like the 'real world' - how they respond to stimuli, stress, etc.

So, If that person happened to have a sense of humor, just as a specific example, would they want to see that?

And 2 out of 2 have said "no". So that answers that.
                Last edited by Wac-a-guacamole ; 02-15-2015, 05:57 PM.

Comment

and the answer was something like: "My favorite uncle? No....but I have a couple non-favorite uncles that I wouldn't mind parting with.
                  I actually did answer a similar question that way.

Q: "Would you give your own mother a ticket?"
                  A: "My father or brother, maybe not unless it was something outrageous that couldn't be ignored and I'd probably call another unit to handle it. My mother I'd give a ticket in a heartbeat. Thanksgiving would be glorious."

Note I didn't get hired by that agency.
                  Last edited by tanksoldier; 02-15-2015, 06:04 PM.
                  "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

^ That's a better example of showing your personality off.

I've only had one interview for a small gig enforcement officer position…years ago....but they had questions like:

1.) What is the motto of the XYZ PD?
                    2.) Would you give a ticket to an elderly lady?
                    3.) What would you do if you caught someone smoking marijuana?
                    4.) How would you respond to a domestic violence scene?

All my responses were what they probably wanted to hear, but I felt like that completely dissolved the purpose of the interview. …and I still didn’t get the job.
                    Last edited by Wac-a-guacamole ; 02-15-2015, 06:29 PM.

Comment

It was always my assumption that they were never looking for the actual answers to these questions; rather that these questions were rhetorical in order to determine what that person is actually like the 'real world' - how they respond to stimuli, stress, etc.
                      Actually they do care about the answer......................but not in a specific answer. What the want is to see how well you think on your feet, how you formulated your answer, and then defend your answer.

Determining how you are in the "real world" is done at the Background investigation phase.

But it is serious business
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

OP a quick search on google will answer your question.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5519 users online. 310 members and 5209 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X