300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some advice

Ok so basically I applied at about 8 different agencies, I passed the PT test, written test, and interview with my number one pick department but my interview score was low, passing but low. Well they are in the process of doing our background investigations. I have about 3 different PT and written test dates for other departments. And there is one department where I am in the final stages of there process with a final interview Thursday with a high possibility of getting a final offer. Here's the issue they can't compete with any of the other departments I applied with, they are a smaller town of about 3,000 people or so with a entry salary of $27,000. I don't know if I should take the job to get my foot in the door or turn it down to look at other agencies with better pay but risk not getting hired anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And YOU want US to decide for you? The caps are for emphasis. Try this. Do some critical thinking, apply a little deductive reasoning, both of which are another way of saying, "weigh the options". Then, make a decision. Best of luck.

Comment

Yea your right, I guess I just wanted to rant a little, the decision is already stressing me out and I haven't even got to that point to make it yet.

Comment

The general consensus on this forum is to take the job that is offered. Over 50% of all new officers seem to move around a bit. As in they find another job after the first one.

That "better" agency might not be "better" ------or in a year or two they might hire again THEN you have a leg up on other applicants by having experience......................OR you might find and even BETTER job.

Like PhilipCal stated.........................we can't make your decision for you

FYI, if you got a low interview score, your chances of being hired just drop considerably
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Yea after thinking about it more, I shouldn't be getting too picky because my driving history isn't perfect so I think I'll take whatever I can get. Thanks guys.

Comment

We cannot make up your mind for you. Having said that, you have to start somewhere. I went from working as a jailer to a campus PD to a large metropolitan PD during the first three years of my career. Since then I have settled down, making one more move after my divorce when I decided to move home to take the job I had always wanted.
            In God We Trust
            Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

LB, you were a campus cop? I KNEW there was a reason I liked you!!

OP, you are counting your chickens before they're hatched. Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                LB, you were a campus cop? I KNEW there was a reason I liked you!!

OP, you are counting your chickens before they're hatched. Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
                I started out life at the University of Houston. Quite a bit of water under the bridge since then.
                In God We Trust
                Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                  The general consensus on this forum is to take the job that is offered. Over 50% of all new officers seem to move around a bit. As in they find another job after the first one.

That "better" agency might not be "better" ------or in a year or two they might hire again THEN you have a leg up on other applicants by having experience......................OR you might find and even BETTER job.

Like PhilipCal stated.........................we can't make your decision for you

FYI, if you got a low interview score, your chances of being hired just drop considerably
                  Just like Iowa said, most people are going to tell you take the job that is offered to you first. If you don't your gambling and could end up with nothing.

Comment

Well guys I just completed my interview with the second department, it went a lot better than my 1st one. They just asked about my military experience. Just waiting to see if I made the cut now.

Comment

Just a quick update, I passed and have an interview with the Chief Monday.

Comment

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Comment

Just got done with my interview with the Chief, got my conditional offer and will be doing medical and pysch exam soon.

Comment

You know, I love being an officer. I truly do. Several years into it, I still get excited when I head in to work. You know what else I love? Eating, a roof over my head, a reliable car, etc. Sorry to say it, but as much as I love the job, I could not do it for $27k/year. The economic realities of life supersede my passion for the career.

Comment

Originally posted by PSUMedic View Post
                              You know, I love being an officer. I truly do. Several years into it, I still get excited when I head in to work. You know what else I love? Eating, a roof over my head, a reliable car, etc. Sorry to say it, but as much as I love the job, I could not do it for $27k/year. The economic realities of life supersede my passion for the career.
                              In some parts of the country you could
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6254 users online. 332 members and 5922 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X