300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow Heart Rate And The Academy

I have recently been selected to attend the police academy as a sponsored recruit by my current department while serving as a reserve deputy. This academy will render me POST certified. It's been a long time coming to even make it to this point.

Now, here is the issue. I was required to have a physical in order to complete the application to the academy itself. Everything seemed squared away until I noticed a remark near the EKG section of the physical results. Evidently, I have a slow heart rate that is also known as sinus bradycardia. My heart rate was 59 bpm. Apparently, the average is between 60-100. It seems very common, based on my brief research, that a slower heart rate is normal in adults that stay active and workout regularly. I work out in some capacity between 4-5 days per week.

Am I worrying over nothing, or will I be rejected for this? Do any of you have first hand experience or have any insight into this situation? It's hard to stomach that something like this may keep me from taking this step toward my ultimate goal of being employed full time as a law enforcement officer.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings.

It's nothing. Athletes can have 40 bpm and are fine.
    Go have fun...
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

It sounds like the physician cleared you-------------so you are good to go
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Just because it was noted, doesn't necessarily mean it is a problem.

I'm a distance runner and have a slower heart rate due to that fact. I wouldn't waste your time worrying.

Comment

Thanks guys. I kind of felt like is was no big deal.

I'm not sure how all the medical clearances are handled. Apparently, my current department leaves the "clearing" up to the physician associated with the academy. The medical paperwork has yet to be sent to him/her.

Comment

Next time drink an espresso with a red bull chaser before your medical. That will bump you up a notch.

Comment

Only if you are New School... Old School, just another coffee...
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Yes, you are worrying over nothing.

"Sinus bradycardia" is a descriptor. Average heart rates for humans are just that...average.
                "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                  It sounds like the physician cleared you-------------so you are good to go
                  When the doc signs off on it, you are good to go.
                  Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                  It's nothing. Athletes can have 40 bpm and are fine.
                  Go have fun...
                  Mine was 52 when I did my physical for academy and doc didn't bat an eye.

Originally posted by Amigo1342 View Post
                  Just because it was noted, doesn't necessarily mean it is a problem.
                  I'm a distance runner and have a slower heart rate due to that fact. I wouldn't waste your time worrying.
                  Case in point.

Originally posted by ArmyVet View Post
                  Yes, you are worrying over nothing.
                  "Sinus bradycardia" is a descriptor. Average heart rates for humans are just that...average.
                  Yes, they look at ranges and if you are GREATLY outside the norm, then they will look into it.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6250 users online. 364 members and 5886 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X