300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chief Interview?

Last edited by barnes14; 02-05-2015, 01:24 AM.

Most often a "Chief's Interview" is nothing more than a meet and greet for the chief to get to see and talk with the person who is in contention for a job.

It's the place where you are made or broke.
    BUT normally it is just a chat and a handshake
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Most agencies work under something called the Rule of Three. They can fill a vacancy taking anyone from the top three test scores on the hiring list. If there is one vacancy they can pick anyone in ranks 1, 2 or 3. If there are five vacancies they can pick any five people from ranks 1 through 8. (Other agencies may have a Rule of Five or a Rule of 10, your mileage may vary depending on their hiring rules.)

The purpose of the Chief's interview is to pick those candidates that seem like they are the best fit. Best fit can mean anything. Chief’s traditionally have absolute discretion in making this choice and don’t have to say why. They could base their selection on a gut feeling, or because you possess a unique skill, or because you demonstrate the same philosophy as the chief, or because you just wore a spiffy suit. It's sort of a crap shoot and literally depends on what is important to the chief, which will vary from department to department. All you can do is go in there, be humble and make your best impression.

Should you not be picked, your name will remain on the top of the list and you will be considered again against the remaining top candidates when the next vacancy comes up. This process will continue until your are hired, the list is exhausted or the list expires, whichever comes first.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Thanks guys, your answers are awesome...that is exactly what I was inquiring. But what happens if there's no "test scores"? Just a fitness test and interview?

Comment

Originally posted by barnes14 View Post
          Thanks guys, your answers are awesome...that is exactly what I was inquiring. But what happens if there's no "test scores"? Just a fitness test and interview?
          You are overthinking this.
          The interview was scored and you had a pass/fail fitness test
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Refer once more to L-1's Post. It still applies in it's entirety.

Comment

I once was present when my boss interviewed a candidate shortly before choosing his picks for officer were made. His exact words were

"Oh yea, I remember you from when you tested. You were the guy in shorts and a t-shirt "

He wasn't selected that round.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                I once was present when my boss interviewed a candidate shortly before choosing his picks for officer were made. His exact words were

"Oh yea, I remember you from when you tested. You were the guy in shorts and a t-shirt "

He wasn't selected that round.

Yep, that particular guy does get around. I've seen him too. "Barnes", hope you get our collective point. Good luck.

Comment

Our chief interviews are pretty informal, when I went in for mine he had me sit in his office while he went and retrieved some test scores. When he came back in he asked me if I planned to stay at the department or wanted to go to a bigger agency. I told him I really liked what I had seen at the department and planned to spend my career there if I was hired. That was about the end of it, he said I would hear from them shortly and then said thanks for coming in.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4126 users online. 208 members and 3918 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X