Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a few questions on becoming a police officer.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a few questions on becoming a police officer.

created new post and don't know how to delete this one..
    Last edited by Mr. Determine ; 05-27-2015, 11:58 AM. Reason: created NEW post

Originally posted by Mr. H View Post
    HI everyone, I'm new to the forum and have a few questions On becoming a police officer here in Maryland or anywhere in the United states or territories.............

In 2002 my girlfriend and me had a domestic dispute that ended up in court. She wanted to drop the case but the state wouldn't let it go. I pled guilty and was charged with 2nd degree assult. I was placed on one year unsupervised probation and ordered to attend a anger management class
    I stopped reading here...........................You were charged with an assault after a DOMESTIC DISPUTE. You then plead GUILTY to the Assault charge

You are pretty much unemployable in the Law Enforcement field ANYWHERE IN THE UNITED STATES.

Ok, you are going to say that you were not convicted or plead guilty to Domestic Abuse-------but you did plead guilty to an assault STEMMING from a Domestic Dispute.

Doesn't matter.

No POLICE administrator is going to take a chance on hiring someone with a history of domestic violence. The fact is that there are just too many candidates that don't carry the baggage that you do. Also, SHOULD something happen later on down the line ---your conviction would be brought up and the agency would be crucified for hiring you.

You also need to read Brady v Maryland---which means that any time you would be called to testify in court ---the prosecutor would be required to disclose your conviction for assault to the defense so they would be able to use that conviction to impeach your integrity in court. In short that means you are not going to be very effective as a witness for the prosecution

NO Distirict Attorney is going to like to do that every time you testify and THEY would pressure the agency to put you in a place/assignment where you didn't bother THEM

Below are two links to the Brady V Maryland situation.

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/m...ssue_id=102003

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brady_v._Maryland
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

"In 2002 my girlfriend and me had a domestic dispute that ended up in court. She wanted to drop the case but the state wouldn't let it go. I pled guilty and was charged with 2nd degree assult."

Being from MD, I can tell you, my agency would NOT hire you... same goes for 99.9% of agencies in the US.
      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
      that we are all that stands between
      the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

That history is not good, my friend. What irks me the most is the fact you continued to have a relationship with someone after that many domestic calls at your place.

Comment

You have some definite problems, among them a profound lack of good judgement. ANY Domestic Violence situation you're a party to, either as a perpetrator or victim is going to be viewed critically by ANY law enforcement agency to which you apply.

The fact that you were convicted of an offense arising from a DV incident pretty well excludes you from ANY consideration for employment in any capacity with an LE entity.

Additionally, there is NO such thing as an "Expungement" in a Police Background Investigation. Background Investigators routinely and typically access records which have been expunged, sealed, altered, modified, vacated, or set aside. You have NO realistic chance at employment in this profession.

Comment

Originally posted by Hanmo View Post
            That history is not good, my friend. What irks me the most is the fact you continued to have a relationship with someone after that many domestic calls at your place.
            I was told to leave her by a couple officers but it's hard to leave someone that you truly love and have a kid together. We were both very young at the time and moved into our own apartment right out of high school....

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
              I stopped reading here...........................You were charged with an assault after a DOMESTIC DISPUTE. You then plead GUILTY to the Assault charge

You are pretty much unemployable in the Law Enforcement field ANYWHERE IN THE UNITED STATES.

Ok, you are going to say that you were not convicted or plead guilty to Domestic Abuse-------but you did plead guilty to an assault STEMMING from a Domestic Dispute.

Doesn't matter.

No POLICE administrator is going to take a chance on hiring someone with a history of domestic violence. The fact is that there are just too many candidates that don't carry the baggage that you do. Also, SHOULD something happen later on down the line ---your conviction would be brought up and the agency would be crucified for hiring you.

You also need to read Brady v Maryland---which means that any time you would be called to testify in court ---the prosecutor would be required to disclose your conviction for assault to the defense so they would be able to use that conviction to impeach your integrity in court. In short that means you are not going to be very effective as a witness for the prosecution

NO Distirict Attorney is going to like to do that every time you testify and THEY would pressure the agency to put you in a place/assignment where you didn't bother THEM

Below are two links to the Brady V Maryland situation.

http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/m...ssue_id=102003

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brady_v._Maryland
              What do you think are my chances in any law enforcement career Even as an invistigator?
              Last edited by Mr. H; 01-28-2015, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                You have some definite problems, among them a profound lack of good judgement. ANY Domestic Violence situation you're a party to, either as a perpetrator or victim is going to be viewed critically by ANY law enforcement agency to which you apply.

The fact that you were convicted of an offense arising from a DV incident pretty well excludes you from ANY consideration for employment in any capacity with an LE entity.

Additionally, there is NO such thing as an "Expungement" in a Police Background Investigation. Background Investigators routinely and typically access records which have been expunged, sealed, altered, modified, vacated, or set aside. You have NO realistic chance at employment in this profession.
                This is very depressing.

Comment

And also very true. Simply stated, and once more, You have ZERO chance of employment in this profession. You need to consider career options other than law enforcement. The assumption is made by the forum, that posters are seeking the truth. That's what you've received. The challenge for you now is to deal realistically with that truth.

A truth, which BTW, is one of your own creation.

Comment

What do you think are my chances in any law enforcement career Even as an invistigator?
                    Law Enforcement investigators are nearly ALWAYS cops...................Investigators always have to testify in court

Read my post #2 about Brady vs Maryland

You can read the THIRD line in my post #2-------------or the second paragraph in PhilipCal's post #5.....or the last sentence in SmallCityCop's post #3
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                      And also very true. Simply stated, and once more, You have ZERO chance of employment in this profession. You need to consider career options other than law enforcement. The assumption is made by the forum, that posters are seeking the truth. That's what you've received. The challenge for you now is to deal realistically with that truth.

A truth, which BTW, is one of your own creation.
                      understood. What about in the private sector: Armed security, D.C. SPO, Fugitive recovery, executive protection ect...... have all these certificates and can't use them.

Comment

Please look at your "location" in your profile. I can't get past the misspelling of the state that you live in.

And yes, little things like that can cost you a job before they even read about the DV.

Comment

Originally posted by Shush View Post
                          Please look at your "location" in your profile. I can't get past the misspelling of the state that you live in.

And yes, little things like that can cost you a job before they even read about the DV.
                          Ouch. Thanks for pointing that out...

Comment

understood. What about in the private sector: Armed security, D.C. SPO, Fugitive recovery, executive protection ect......
                            Check out Ask An Armed Securty, Ask a Fugitive Recovery etc...........Not Ask A cop

DC SPO is probably a law enforcement job..................what executive protection company is going to want an operator who can't get clearances

have all these certificates and can't use them.
                            probably should have thought about that first

Comment

Just start applying and be honest on you applications.

Start with Baltimore City.

If you get 3 or 4 "no" from different departments all before you make it past the personal history booklet then you know you are DQ'd.

Honestly if Police is your goal your certs mean nothing. No department is going to honor them you'd have to do their training.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4334 users online. 292 members and 4042 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X