Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HI629
    replied
    Go take your ASVAB and see what the USAF can offer you. Doesn't hurt to check it out. Your ability to get a security clearance will be contingent on many factors. Without going fully into detail, simply be honest and do your job and you should do fine.

If you still want to wear a badge and uniform, you can go see if Paul Blart's agency will hire you. All kidding aside, depending on where they put you, some security officers are paid more than police with less BS to deal with.

At this point, the military would probably be your best bet.

Leave a comment:

• option1
    replied
    Originally posted by Mysticine View Post
    For the military side, do you know for a fact the job you would be going for even requires a clearance? Or what level clearance is required?

In my experience getting a clearance is easier than getting hired by a PD, provided someone is sponsoring your clearance. I currently work for a government agency and am cleared, and was a county police officer before moving into this line of work.
    I don't know anything about the military. I was hoping to get an idea of what my chances were before trying to join the military. I know this is officer and not military forum, but was hoping to get some ideas on where i stand with the military (Air Force) if anyone knows.

thanks

Leave a comment:

• Mysticine
    replied
    For the military side, do you know for a fact the job you would be going for even requires a clearance? Or what level clearance is required?

In my experience getting a clearance is easier than getting hired by a PD, provided someone is sponsoring your clearance. I currently work for a government agency and am cleared, and was a county police officer before moving into this line of work.

Leave a comment:

• Dinosaur32
    replied
    You pretty much are done in NYC for LE jobs and most Statewide and larger local PDs. Not sure about the military but have heard that their have gotten more selective in their recruitment policies.

Leave a comment:

• option1
    replied
    will the military take me? in other words, will i be granted a security clearance if joining the military....assuming i don't get bounced before i even apply for clearance? (USAF reserve)

Thanks for all the responses

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
    option....What you wrote sounds like charges from the NYS Penal Law. If so, the art 100 covers crimes of criminal solicitation and art 200 involves bribery. If there are charges under those two articles, I doubt any agency would hire you. The other charges don't make you a good candidate either.
    I looked at the disposition document and It was written as 110-120.0 which I think is: "110/120.00: Attempted Third Degree Assault". Not that it matters though, i think I'm screwed either way.

Leave a comment:

• Dinosaur32
    replied
    option....What you wrote sounds like charges from the NYS Penal Law. If so, the art 100 covers crimes of criminal solicitation and art 200 involves bribery. If there are charges under those two articles, I doubt any agency would hire you. The other charges don't make you a good candidate either.

Leave a comment:

• eaker995
    replied
    Just google the Lautenberg amendment.

Although you say the cases were sealed, none are sealed during a background investigation. Your "private" life becomes public. In also of the mind that there is more to that incident than described. Most people only tell what will show them in the best light, even when admitting wrongdoing.

Leave a comment:

• KingofSix
    replied
    Originally posted by tj05 View Post
    Sorry OP, but any kind of domestic violence charge is getting you kicked from most East coast agencies.
    most agencies period.... domestics are the biggest career killers in our profession.

Leave a comment:

• tj05
    replied
    Sorry OP, but any kind of domestic violence charge is getting you kicked from most East coast agencies.

Leave a comment:

• option1
    replied
    Thank you, I appreciate the feedback.

Leave a comment:

• Hanmo
    replied
    I have recommended applicants be tossed for much less.

Leave a comment:

• PhilipCal
    replied
    My colleagues have more than answered your question. Best of luck in your non-LE plans and aspirations.

Leave a comment:

• option1
    replied
    Not what I wanted to hear, but I have to face the realities of my past and its effect on today. Thank you both.

Respectfully,

Leave a comment:

• Country_Jim
    replied
    Originally posted by option1 View Post
    Strike 1:
    10 years ago I was arrested with my at-the-time girlfriend. We had just got home around 6am from a night of partying, she saw my phone ringing and smashed my phone, yelling at the top of her lungs. Roomate called police, they came and arrested both of us. We were arraigned with the same charges:
    Assault 3rd degree (A Misdemeanor);
    Menacing 3rd degree (B Misdemeanor);
    Harassment Second degree (violation);
    -the 4th charge I do not understand: its Article 100 to article 200 so i guess all the article 100 offense to article 200 offenses are the 4th charge???...???
    i did not touch her, but that's neither here nor there at this juncture. I got arrested and here we are 10 years later. I am assuming these are domestic violence charges...and since she was arrested i am assuming she was arrested with the same charges, although i could be wrong about what her charges were. We spent the weekend in jail, when we faced the judge he told us to stay out of trouble. Charges were dismissed and the cases sealed. My certificate of disposition says "Court Action -dismissed."

Strike 2:
    9 years ago, a year after strike 1 i was stopped by police and given a ticket/summons for open container of alcohol in public.

strike 3
    8 years ago i was stopped by police and given a ticket/summons for urinating in public. it was 4am (not that the time matters, but for "context" if you will)

strike 4
    6 years ago I was stopped by police as i boarded a train to work. i had just paid my fare and went to sit down when two plainclothes approached me and asked for my ID. They then ran my ID and took me to city/county jail. The reason being i had not paid my ticket or appeared in court for strike 3 above. I don't have all those fine details but my name came up when they called and ran my name. spent the night in jail, appeared before the judge and the case was dismissed the next day. I can't recall exactly what happened in court but I didn't pay anything and the case was dismissed. I'll obtain the court records for exact wording of disposition.

I have since been free of any trouble. All my previous employers speak highly of me and i have never had incidents at work. They would all write me letters of recommendation and/or hire me back. My current employer is seeking to promote me into a supervisor position. They are extremely happy with my performance. I have been happily married for 5 years. Perfect credit, $0 debt. I volunteer from time to time but nothing really major...maybe once a month for 5 hours a day, sometimes months go by without a volunteer assignment. I don't have a college degree, only about 35 credits of college courses to my name.

I am ashamed about my past transgressions. I do not have anyone to blame but myself. They have been humbling experiences to say the least. I have owned up to my mistakes, moved on with my life and hopefully a career in law enforcement is possible.

Questions I have:
    1) The obvious question is the infamous "what are my chances?" This is the perfect time to ask given my hellish background. I am looking at law enforcement positions in California, Texas, Arizona, West Virginia and possibly some federal agencies. West Virginia and Texas are at the top of my list but I am not sure if I can be anywhere on their lists. Am i automatically disqualified?

2) Does it matter that I was charged and not convicted? Or does law enforcement not distinguish between the two when hiring?

3)I do not live in California, but if I self-sponsor myself through the P.O.S.T. academy, would it help my chances of being hired given my spotty background? (Assuming i do pass the academy...) I have the funds and the time to do it, just don't know if its a waste of money at this point. Any insight on this would be appreciated.

4)Is there anything else I can do to make myself standout? Or is it time to think of other career options? Although my health is great and I am in excellent physical shape, I turn 40 soon.

5)Any other comment(s) or opinion(s) that I should consider at this juncture.

Thank You all for your time.

Respectfully,

me.

As long as you weren't convicted of the domestic violence, nothing you mentioned is an automatic DQ. That being said, there is just too much in your past to land a LE job. If I were you, I would not waste my time and money on the academy. Not being suitable for LE does not make you a bad person, the truth is that very few people will ever be hired in this profession.

It sounds like you have made a great life for yourself, plenty of people would gladly trade places with you. Good luck in your endeavors.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Quite honestly even if there ISN"T a disqualification event in that post (I didnt' read much after STRIKE 1)------I wouldn't recommend hiring you due the aggregate offenses.

I am going to assume that the Strike 1 (10 yrs ago) happened when you were an adult...........so all of the rest just show a continued immaturity lasting at least 4yrs AS AN ADULT.

You are a marginal candidate when you look at the caliber of applicants now being screened nationwide.

I wouldn't waste your time and money on self sponsoring

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4949 users online. 290 members and 4659 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X