Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Squeaky Wheel Gets The Oil... Or Ignored?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Squeaky Wheel Gets The Oil... Or Ignored?

    An old piece of advice my father (a retired police sergeant) always told me: the squeaky wheel gets the oil. It has helped me in the past for other employment inquiries. Now as I enter the employment process of my local agency I wonder if the same hold true for police work. Of course based on my dad's experience and the fact that he has yet to steer me wrong, I am inclined to go along with his advice. But I also don't want to annoy my recruiter/future BI.

    I completed my medical screening/eye test/drug test (my first step in the process) on Tuesday. I told my recruiter to update him and emailed him again for other information regarding my application. Now it is going on Friday, no word on the results or anything. I don't anticipate immediate results but just want to know... is there a certain amount of time before I should contact him again in regards to the past test or next steps or should I just wait? Thank you.

  • #2
    Bother your investigator at your peril.

    You will be CONTACTED when they have further for you
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
      Bother your investigator at your peril.

      You will be CONTACTED when they have further for you
      Iowa, I've said it at nauseum but thank you very much for all your advice. Step by step you've saved my anxious rookie behind from looking like a fool this whole process. Thank you.

      Comment


      • #4
        It could be months. People need to learn patience...
        Now go home and get your shine box!

        Comment


        • #5
          Haha Yes, sir. It's a flaw and I'm working on it, I promise.

          Comment


          • #6
            Its all hurry up and wait... they will let you know one way or the other.
            sigpic

            "When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

            http://www.odmp.org/

            Comment


            • #7
              While it's true that the squeeky wheel gets the grease, attention, whatever, what you don't want is the wrong type of attention. In your case , that would be generated by your "pestering" the investigator. When I did backgrounds, it was a "collateral duty". That means I did the background as time and circumstances allowed me to.

              If and when an applicant "pestered or bothered" me, his/her file had a mysterious way of descending to the bottom of the applicant file.

              Comment


              • #8
                Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.

                I hope you understand things are pretty much out of your recruiters hands at this point. HR is now processing you and will continue to do so on their time table and as they deem fit.

                Just because you passed the test and scored high enough on the list to get this far in the process means little. Every government agency is budgeted for a specific number of positions. An applicant cannot be hired until one of those positions actually becomes vacant. Even then, there is the issue of an academy date. While there may be a vacancy now, if the next academy is not or a month or so, no one is going to pay you to sit around the office and do nothing waiting for classes to start.

                So the whole point is, they will process you as they deem appropriate and hire you on their time schedule and not yours. Leave them alone. Don't be that guy. Don't be the squeaky wheel that gets replaced.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                  Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.

                  I hope you understand things are pretty much out of your recruiters hands at this point. HR is now processing you and will continue to do so on their time table and as they deem fit.

                  Just because you passed the test and scored high enough on the list to get this far in the process means little. Every government agency is budgeted for a specific number of positions. An applicant cannot be hired until one of those positions actually becomes vacant. Even then, there is the issue of an academy date. While there may be a vacancy now, if the next academy is not or a month or so, no one is going to pay you to sit around the office and do nothing waiting for classes to start.

                  So the whole point is, they will process you as they deem appropriate and hire you on their time schedule and not yours. Leave them alone. Don't be that guy. Don't be the squeaky wheel that gets replaced.
                  Re-read this about the wheel being replaced.................................however I was think more about the squeaky wheel get attention. Just not the attention you are thinking of.

                  Like moved farther down on the pile,
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

                  My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Of course. I have only contacted the Officer (not the investigator at all) when necessary (i.e. he told me to) so I don't think I've reached the point of pestering yet. I was just wondering if there was a time frame before I should call and check on the process.

                    *Brief note of where I am in the process... I've taken my medical screening for the department as a special event officer with my actual police application still waiting. I've yet to meet with anyone regarding a CVSA or oral board or PAT or BI yet. So I guess my OP was regarding when I can call and let those at the department that I am still interested or find out if they have received my screening results etc. All of your answers have helped and I will wait diligently for the next step to be presented to me when it is supposed to be. Thanks again.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      What kind of info does he need about your application? Whoever did you medical screening needs to type it up (whenever they get around to it) and get it back to the BI. You are being impatient and he doesn't want to hear from you. When he has something to tell you, he will let you know. He has not forgotten that your BI has been assigned to him.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I think I'm going to take this advice for the chicago pd process, I'm done and lord knows I've bothered my BI. Lol can I copy and paste this to the CPD thread??

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                          If and when an applicant "pestered or bothered" me, his/her file had a mysterious way of descending to the bottom of the applicant file.
                          Funny how that seems to happen.
                          In God We Trust
                          Everyone else we run local and NCIC

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Slow and steady wins the race. Got a call from my recruiter (turned out to be the BI the whole time?) and he scheduled me to come into the PD thursday morning for "further processing" to include fingerprints. Asked me to bring SS card and DL. In addition to full time police, I am up for a special events officer position so it may just be for that position at this time. Either way, sitting and waiting worked well for me, I highly recommend it. Thanks everyone

                            P.S. All you officers can confirm or deny this, but I wanted to share another piece of knowledge from my father. He said police work is a whole lot of "hurry up and wait" While my wait wasn't all that significant, I feel like its a good outlook to have going into the hiring process

                            Comment

                            MR300x250 Tablet

                            Collapse

                            What's Going On

                            Collapse

                            There are currently 6329 users online. 345 members and 5984 guests.

                            Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                            Welcome Ad

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X