Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disqualified from military service

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Disqualified from military service

    I've seen a couple of posts from here stating that some LEOs were disqualified from military service so they became police officers instead. I was wondering if a potential candidate with the same issue should disclose this information during the recruitment process.

    I was PDQed from military service for some BS medical reason. When applying to become a LEO in the near future, would a background/medical investigation reveal this info? Should I disclose this info when they ask?

  • #2
    Originally posted by LandTurtle View Post
    When applying to become a LEO in the near future, would a background/medical investigation reveal this info?
    I have never known a question like this to come up on an application nor a BI. There are medical questions.
    Originally posted by LandTurtle View Post
    Should I disclose this info when they ask?
    You must answer any question asked honestly. If you lie, you are automatically outta there.

    “Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

    Miyamoto Musashi

    “Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

    George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

    Comment


    • #3
      The military has reasons for having very stringent medical entry requirements, even if you think they are BS.

      Many things that will get you DQ'd from the military will not have an bearing on the hiring process.

      You are expected to truthfully answer your medical questionaire.

      Comment


      • #4
        I was medically retired from the Army and attended the academy and am a sheriff's deputy.

        It depends on the specific medical issue, and on the state or department medical standards.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

        "With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

        Comment


        • #5
          Yep, I know several peeps w/ Diabetes that, though don't qualify for military, are great officers.
          Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

          Comment


          • #6
            They had me take a psych eval for the Army. The eval, which was administered by a civilian psychologist instead of a military one resulted in a diagnosis of PDD-NOS (Pervasive developmental disorder) which is one of the three autism spectrum disorders.

            I called BS on their results, and so did my family doctor(who I've known for years) and parents, yet I was denied a wavier and permanently barred from enlisting into the military. I just graduated out of high school at the time(I was 17) and was volunteering with my local PD's Explorer program. Years later, I'm still an Explorer, volunteer with the Red Cross, have a stable full-time job and will start college if I'm barred from becoming a police officer. My life is pretty normal, yet I'm still worried about the diagnosis and how it will impact my entry into becoming a LEO.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by LandTurtle View Post
              They had me take a psych eval for the Army. The eval, which was administered by a civilian psychologist instead of a military one resulted in a diagnosis of PDD-NOS (Pervasive developmental disorder) which is one of the three autism spectrum disorders.

              I called BS on their results, and so did my family doctor(who I've known for years) and parents, yet I was denied a wavier and permanently barred from enlisting into the military. I just graduated out of high school at the time(I was 17) and was volunteering with my local PD's Explorer program. Years later, I'm still an Explorer, volunteer with the Red Cross, have a stable full-time job and will start college if I'm barred from becoming a police officer. My life is pretty normal, yet I'm still worried about the diagnosis and how it will impact my entry into becoming a LEO.
              We don't know.

              Apply and find out--------------then you will know
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

              My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by LandTurtle View Post
                They had me take a psych eval for the Army. The eval, which was administered by a civilian psychologist instead of a military one resulted in a diagnosis of PDD-NOS (Pervasive developmental disorder) which is one of the three autism spectrum disorders.

                I called BS on their results, and so did my family doctor(who I've known for years) and parents, yet I was denied a wavier and permanently barred from enlisting into the military. I just graduated out of high school at the time(I was 17) and was volunteering with my local PD's Explorer program. Years later, I'm still an Explorer, volunteer with the Red Cross, have a stable full-time job and will start college if I'm barred from becoming a police officer. My life is pretty normal, yet I'm still worried about the diagnosis and how it will impact my entry into becoming a LEO.

                In one sense of the word, you're asking us to look into our collective crystal balls and tell you you're cool to be a cop. We're pretty cool, quite knowledgeable, experienced, etc, but we're not prophets.

                Neither am I going to second guess, analyze, or Monday Morning Quarterback the opinions of the health care professionals who examined you. Will your condition(s) past or present effect you in processing for this profession? I (we) don't know. Yes, they could be a factor, and yes, they could impact you negatively.

                OTH, it's possible too, that you could do well in the pysch exam,and the entire hiring process. In the interest of fairness to both yourself and any agency to which you apply, you should:

                Measure yourself honestly and objectively against the established hiring standards for a given agency.
                Speak to a Recruiter or an H/R Person with respect to your situation.
                All things being equal, apply and go through all phases of the hiring process to which you're admitted.
                Should the issue(s) you referenced come up during the process, be totally honest with regard to them.

                DO NOT, under any circumstances call B.S. to any past problems, diagnoses etc. That's OK here, and I know where you're coming from, but it could bite you in the butt big time if you do it with a department. Good luck.

                Comment


                • #9
                  It's not bs. You were evaluated, at cost (which is rare), and found to not meet standards.
                  Just because YOU didn't like the result doesn't mean it wasn't fair.

                  Grow up. Move on.
                  Now go home and get your shine box!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                    DO NOT, under any circumstances call B.S. to any past problems, diagnoses etc. That's OK here, and I know where you're coming from, but it could bite you in the butt big time if you do it with a department. Good luck.
                    Of course. That would be a stupid way to present myself to a hiring agency. ..Sorta like how job seekers badmouth their bosses at interviews.

                    Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                    It's not bs. You were evaluated, at cost (which is rare), and found to not meet standards.
                    Just because YOU didn't like the result doesn't mean it wasn't fair.

                    Grow up. Move on.
                    We live in the USA. I'm entitled to an opinion. Until I find out if this issue from the past will be a disqualifying factor when applying to LE agencies, obviously I won't be able to fully move on. I obviously don't think about the diagnosis as much anymore but always remember how a few questions like "Would you shoot a kid if your commander ordered you?" or "What would make a better pet, a cat or dog?" would destroy my dream job of being a soldier or police officer.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by LandTurtle View Post
                      but always remember how a few questions like "Would you shoot a kid if your commander ordered you?" or "What would make a better pet, a cat or dog?" would destroy my dream job of being a soldier or police officer.
                      you will be asked similar questions when taking an MMPI or any of the normal psych tests

                      Your answers to those questions will be part of the decision process for becoming a police officer.

                      AS will your prior diagnosis from the military......it will play a part
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

                      My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If you are asking if you should lie on the PHS, this job is not for you.


                        Originally posted by LandTurtle View Post
                        I've seen a couple of posts from here stating that some LEOs were disqualified from military service so they became police officers instead. I was wondering if a potential candidate with the same issue should disclose this information during the recruitment process.

                        I was PDQed from military service for some BS medical reason. When applying to become a LEO in the near future, would a background/medical investigation reveal this info? Should I disclose this info when they ask?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by LandTurtle View Post
                          Of course. That would be a stupid way to present myself to a hiring agency. ..Sorta like how job seekers badmouth their bosses at interviews.



                          We live in the USA. I'm entitled to an opinion. Until I find out if this issue from the past will be a disqualifying factor when applying to LE agencies, obviously I won't be able to fully move on. I obviously don't think about the diagnosis as much anymore but always remember how a few questions like "Would you shoot a kid if your commander ordered you?" or "What would make a better pet, a cat or dog?" would destroy my dream job of being a soldier or police officer.

                          Your attitude will do you in before any medical condition. I worked backgrounds for a large ageny and if you came at me like you did to CCCSD, I wouldn't recommend you for hire. As for as any medical or psych issues, medical professionals will evaluate your suitability after the background process is completed and a conditional job offer is made.

                          I know you are young so I will give you some advice to help you in the hiring process. Earn a bachelor's degree (not CJ), make sure you only have friends who are law abiding, watch what you post on social media, have a positive work history and obey the law (including the vehicle code).

                          Good luck in your endeavors.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'm entitled to an opinion.
                            You're entitled to believe the sun rises in the West, too...

                            Military physicians don't DQ people for the fun of it.

                            That said, the only way to find out if it's a DQ for being a cop is to apply.

                            always remember how a few questions like "Would you shoot a kid if your commander ordered you?" or "What would make a better pet, a cat or dog?"
                            I went thru MEPS _four_ times. I was never asked anything like that. Something flagged you for additional attention.
                            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

                            "With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Yep. They don't ask that. He got referred and sent out.
                              Now go home and get your shine box!

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4691 users online. 280 members and 4411 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X