300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potential Problem in reference check

Last edited by barnes14; 02-05-2015, 02:28 AM.

Background investigator are normally pretty good at sifting through the chaff they get during background interviews with former employers.

Somebody telling me that an applicant was "immature" but not elaborating (especially when I asked for expansion---and I would) would most likely be taken with a grain of salt.

If you get a chance to talk to your BI before he starts calling references...........inform him/her of the earlier problem
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

When I used to do backgrounds, I use to ask the applicant's ("Bob") references to tell me who doesn't like applicant Bob. It was just to get an all around picture of Bob, but we were able to see through the BS. Don't sweat it.
      I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

I agree totally with my colleague's thoughts. My first, and probably most obvious thought is that you have to be extremely careful with any "social media" you participate in. Casual, even innocent comments can come back to bite you in the backside.

Let me comment about the function of the Background Investigator. His/her function is to gather facts, and report those findings to those more highly placed in hiring chain. Seldom does the Investigator make recommendations concerning an applicant's advancing in a process.

Regarding the comment of the person who described you as "immature". When I did Backgrounds, a comment of that nature would have to justified or qualified. If the reference or person in question didn't wish to expand on the remark, I would resolve any doubt in the favor of the applicant.

The vast majority of Background investigators can pretty well tell when an applicant is simply being "bad-rapped" as opposed to the person supplying verifiable, accurate information regarding that applicant.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
          Background investigator are normally pretty good at sifting through the chaff they get during background interviews with former employers.

Somebody telling me that an applicant was "immature" but not elaborating (especially when I asked for expansion---and I would) would most likely be taken with a grain of salt.

If you get a chance to talk to your BI before he starts calling references...........inform him/her of the earlier problem
          What he said

Comment

And now you've learned a lesson about social media and work.

Comment

Originally posted by barnes14 View Post
              Hey guys. I'm in the pre-employment process for the 2nd job I applied for. The first, which was last year, was very comprehensive in the background phase because it was a state agency. That meant neighbor checks, friends, family, and dozens of coworkers. Here's the problem.

During the last phase, all my references and people they talked to said great things about me, except one. He happened to be the leader of the agency I work for, and while he doesn't personally know his employees, he recognized my name. Regardless of many awards and commendations I received in the past 2 years, he only remembered that, a few months prior to my background check, he saw a Facebook post where I shared an article about his new building project getting approved. I had titled it with a caption that said something to the effect that I sure hope we could get new equipment too. He was pretty upset about that and his only opinion to the background investigator was that I was "immature", with no explanation. Although, I'm sure it was due to the post because that's the only violation I've had. Well since this comment came from such a high ranking official, the background investigator deemed me unsuitable for continuing. So I've put about 6 months of distance between that, and applied somewhere new. Unfortunately, many of my coworkers got in trouble for social media violations and I'm sure my incident is still in his mind.

Now with this new process, I'm worried this will happen again. How would you handle this? No, I don't believe any of us would ever be granted a sit-down with him, but even if that happened, I couldn't say anything that would make him change what he already thinks. It is also worth mentioning that in the 1st job, I disclosed my written warning for the social media violation, including what was said, and I guess that didn't matter. Should I even mention it in this process?
              My concern is you asking about disclosing your written warning. Omissions are considered lies to most background investigators. If you get caught, kiss your career goodbye.

Good luck in your endeavors and stay off Facebook, FB has cost a lot of good people their careers.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4282 users online. 241 members and 4041 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X