Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any tips for my interview with chief and others?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any tips for my interview with chief and others?

I've gone thru the beginning stages, background check etc. They did a home visit and such. I'm waiting to be called for my interview which they told me will be coming up quick, as the academy is starting in march. They're hiring 6 officers.

A few things they'll ask/bring up that's making me nervous is; my credit history, my strengths/weaknesses, and why I don't have a college degree.

I'm aware that they might ask about all of those or maybe just 1, or maybe none. They will probably be doing "good cop/bad cop" as I've read many interviews go, with 1 or two guys giving me a hard time or keep bringing up a certain thing from my background check or history (which I'm not worried about, I'm totally clean), and there will probably be 1 man or woman who is just doing the interview and acting normal.

I'm not too nervous about the interview in general, just about these few questions. I'm not quite sure how to answer my strengths and weaknesses without seeming full of myself, or saying a weakness that may DQ me. Also I have no good reason why I have a bad credit history other than stupidity, so I wouldn't know how to answer any questions about it without coming off incompetent.

Any suggestions?

Well, here are a few, and guess what? There's nothing new, revolutionary, or ground breaking in anything I suggest to you.
    Dress appropriately. In 99.9% of all cases, that means suit and tie. Be clean shaven, well groomed, shoes shined, nails trimmed, dressed for success in other words.

Allow for traffic and arrive a few minutes early. Be prepared to discuss the reasons you wish to be a member of the agency. Have some knowledge of the community, it's ethnic makeup, particular crime areas, and other issues which might impact the department's mission.

Answer all questions clearly and decisively. If you're challenged on a particular point, stick to your guns. Oral Boards often look for indecision or confusion on the part of the applicant. Do NOT act like some slime ball politician. If a board member offers to shake hands, do so firmly. Command respect.

Take no notes, no references. The Board wants to hear from you, not watch you read your notes or reminders. Speak distinctly and sincerely. Oral Boards have built in B.S. Detectors, so don't lay it on too thick. Hopefully, some of my colleagues can offer you some additional thoughts. Good luck, hope things work out for you.

Comment

Its sometimes hard to say,maybe depends on what they are looking for or just how you present yourself.

I interviewed with our Captain. i went in jeans and a tee shirt and had a full beard.

I had already passed the background , can still remember him telling me as i was getting up to leave, " you know your going to have to cut all that beard off dont you "

25 years worth of beard gone but it was for the best.I wouldnt recommend anyone tho doing it like i did.I just got lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by jdthor View Post
        Its sometimes hard to say,maybe depends on what they are looking for or just how you present yourself.

I interviewed with our Captain. i went in jeans and a tee shirt and had a full beard.

I had already passed the background , can still remember him telling me as i was getting up to leave, " you know your going to have to cut all that beard off dont you "

25 years worth of beard gone but it was for the best.I wouldnt recommend anyone tho doing it like i did.I just got lucky.
        As long as it was a Mountain Dew or Doritos tee shirt!

Comment

just an update: Alright so i FINALLY got called for an interview, and it i tomorrow. Very excited and very nervous at the same time. Ive done a bit of research, talked to a guy who got hired here a few years ago (under the same chief) and he said the interview wasnt as bad as you read they are online, it was mostly lifestyle questions. no scenario questions, or anything like that. just basic interview material. Which makes me feel a little better, but i have never interviewed with more than 1 interviewer. Especially the Chief and 2 captains and possible an Lt or 2.

I have everything squared away, as far as appearance goes. I just hope my nerves dont deter me from being confident and articulate.

Any suggestions for some questions i might ask, if prompted with "Do you have any questions?" at the end of the interview? I dont really have any questions, but im not sure if SHOULD be asking some or not?
          Last edited by mr.mayhem; 05-19-2015, 06:37 PM.

Comment

You'll be fine just don't rush to answer a question, think about it first.

Comment

Also, I have pretty bad credit as of now... my wedding is on friday and all my money has been poured into that for about a year now. Im sure it will probably get brought up, not sure how to go about answering that. Im sure they dont want excuses

Comment

One's credit history and their standing with lenders is viewed as an indication of their dependability and integrity. Offering "stupidity" as a reason for bad credit may get you points for honesty, but it doesn't make your financial conduct acceptable.

Whether it be for this interview or the background, you need to come up with a better reason for your credit issues and be able to spell out a viable explanation for what you are/have been doing to pull yourself out of the financial hole your are in.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3057 users online. 157 members and 2900 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X