300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clothing / Transcripts Questions

Hello all, I have an interview Monday with a panel. I'm female so I was going to wear the standard black pantsuit with a white collared button-up shirt underneath. However, as I don't want to appear too "feminine" or "prissy" for a primarily-male job, I have the following questions: Should I wear my shoulder-length hair back (duty ready) or down? Also, I was planning on wearing low heels but should I opt for something flat instead?

Finally, the job position requires a college degree with proof of transcripts, but gave no space to attach them on the electronic application. Should I bring these to the oral board or wait til they are requested by email?

Thanks all.

Originally posted by barnes14 View Post
    Hello all, I have an interview Monday with a panel. I'm female so I was going to wear the standard black pantsuit with a white collared button-up shirt underneath. However, as I don't want to appear too "feminine" or "prissy" for a primarily-male job, I have the following questions: Should I wear my shoulder-length hair back (duty ready) or down? Also, I was planning on wearing low heels but should I opt for something flat instead?
    I would advise against trying to "hide" the fact that you are female This is 2015, there have been female police officers for nearly a century. Dress for success.

Originally posted by barnes14 View Post
    Finally, the job position requires a college degree with proof of transcripts, but gave no space to attach them on the electronic application. Should I bring these to the oral board or wait til they are requested by email?

Thanks all.
    At some point you will be asked for the transcripts-----------I would have them with you on Monday and you should have a time to ask someone from the agency about when/where to turn the documents in.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

A pantsuit is fine, as is a skirt and a blouse. Most women also wear heels with those outfits. Be conservative with your makeup and jewelry. Wear your hair however you wear your hair. Like Iowa said, everyone already knows you're a woman. Let me share one bad experience I had in interviewing a female candidate. I think most people would have considered her to be a moderately attractive woman, who happened to be wearing a blouse with not enough buttons buttoned, who seemingly looked for opportunities to lean over the table and put the girls on display... I think most men are admirers of the female form but, even we, with our caveman brains, know there is a time and a place, and an interview isn't either of those. Spidey senses say, "she's gonna be trouble; do not hire her no matter what." The "hey! Look at these!" interview strategy does not work (at least not for me). Present yourself as a professional and confident woman.

Comment

You're a female, dress like a female. Simple good taste is the rule. Simply dress professionally. You've nailed the proper attire, just go with that. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
          A pantsuit is fine, as is a skirt and a blouse. Most women also wear heels with those outfits. Be conservative with your makeup and jewelry. Wear your hair however you wear your hair. Like Iowa said, everyone already knows you're a woman. Let me share one bad experience I had in interviewing a female candidate. I think most people would have considered her to be a moderately attractive woman, who happened to be wearing a blouse with not enough buttons buttoned, who seemingly looked for opportunities to lean over the table and put the girls on display... I think most men are admirers of the female form but, even we, with our caveman brains, know there is a time and a place, and an interview isn't either of those. Spidey senses say, "she's gonna be trouble; do not hire her no matter what." The "hey! Look at these!" interview strategy does not work (at least not for me). Present yourself as a professional and confident woman.
          Just Joe nailed it with the answer.As a matter of personal taste I would wear a bit of a heel, but nothing extreme, but then too I am vertically challenged and usually opt for heels away from work anyhow.
          In God We Trust
          Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Thanks guys I nailed the interview and was selected for the next phase.
            By the way, I was more professionally dressed than some of the women in the interview (cleavage, ill fitting shirts, extremely tight pants) so I'm sure that helped!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6027 users online. 300 members and 5727 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X