Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you want to be a police officer?

Ah, yes. This daunting question of the oral board... and actually, ever since getting into the academy my friends, family and beyond have given me that question. But what is the answer the oral board wants? I know why I want to be an officer. I believe I could write a thesis paper on the different reasons why I believe being a police officer is right for me. But what is the right answer?

If my learnings from the academy do not stick with me after graduation, the one thing I know WILL stick with me is that "I want to help people" is NOT the correct answer to this question. I actually saw a presentation today from a recruiting department who said that by saying that answer, you pretty much give up the interview. So its a major no no.

But I know that they want my honest to god response. But there are so many reasons. Do those sitting on the board care more about how I morally wish to catch bad guys and aid those who are victimized, etc... or should I say that I want an exciting career where I interact with my community, always outside, ever changing, etc, etc...

I do not want to give generic answers. I want the board to fall in love with what I have to offer to the department. But my experience in public speaking has taught me to always know your audience. I'm just curious what kind of responses do those on the oral boards grow sick of and what kind of answers do they prefer?

As always, any and all input is appreciated. Thanks!

I want a good job, where I can wear a uniform and badge, carry a gun, and look cool... Oh yeah, and help my community, yeah. That's it. Do I have to work nights and weekends...?
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Personally, there is an uncontrollable passion inside of me for law enforcement. To be apart of this brotherhood is worth more to me than all of the money in the world. I'd give the shirt off of my back to any officer for the courage they have to put on their uniform each and every day.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
        I want a good job, where I can wear a uniform and badge, carry a gun, and look cool... Oh yeah, and help my community, yeah. That's it. Do I have to work nights and weekends...?
        Ya know, in jest I said something like that after the aforementioned presentation.... I, of course, wouldn't since I actually want to get hired but it was funny to think about for a second

Comment

Growing up with a father as a police officer, and a long family history of LEOs I can honestly say it's in my blood. I've always had the desire to protect those who can't protect themselves. Ever since I was little, with an interest in law enforcement and the military, I have valued a job that is rewarding over a job that pays extremely well. Once I took a ride along I was hooked, and the Sergeant called me a week later and told me "you were made for law enforcement" which only reinforced what I wanted to do with my life.

Comment

Those of you who are replying to this thread who aren't in LE, please stop. The ability to follow directions is an attribute needed for LE.

Stay safe.

Comment

OP,

The oral board members do not want our answers, they want yours. Most members of LE on this forum will not provide you with cookie cutter answers to oral board questions. I will tell you, that as corny as this sounds, answer from your heart. That bit of advice has always worked for me (I've been in LE for 21 years).

Good luck in your endeavors.
              Last edited by Country_Jim; 01-16-2015, 09:43 PM.

Comment

You should understand that particular question really doesn't have an answer.

Actually the panel really doesn't listen to the answer you are giving (unless you pull an answer like CCCSD's) It's a time filler where the panel finishes their notes from the "real' questions, marks their score sheets, and quickly looks over the packet of the next interview.

Overly passionate or overly aggressive answers will flag you and might change the interview score but for the most part it is a throw-away question.

We often called it a deal breaker question where the candidate talked us out of recommending them for hire.
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                  Holidays too? Oh snap!!!

Comment

(message deleted)
                    Last edited by triniboy05; 11-29-2019, 11:41 PM.
                    God never promised that it would be easy, just that he would be there with you every step of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Country_Jim View Post
                      OP,

The oral board members do not want our answers, they want yours. Most members of LE on this forum will not provide you with cookie cutter answers to oral board questions. I will tell you, that as corny as this sounds, answer from your heart. That bit of advice has always worked for me (I've been in LE for 21 years).

Thank you! I am definitely not looking for cookie cutter answers but guidance and this response as well as Iowa's was just that. I thank you both.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesInCharge23 View Post
                        Thank you! I am definitely not looking for cookie cutter answers but guidance and this response as well as Iowa's was just that. I thank you both.
                        You're welcome. I'm sure you will do just fine.

Iowa is full of great advice, I know I enjoy his posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Country_Jim View Post
                          OP,

This is exactly right.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4821 users online. 243 members and 4578 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X