300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would it be worth it?

So my background is wishy washy... nothing criminal, no current points on my license, credit is in the mid 600's. I'm 27, ive had around 12 jobs since I was 16 years old. I have a background in police work as a seasonal officer, but with full arrest powers. I have a high school diploma but no college or military... I've been rejected at least 50 times in the last 5 years.

My current employer is a private school and will pay for me to obtain a class B CDL license with both a passenger and school bus endorsement. Do you think this type of license would be a plus in the eyes of some sheriff's offices (doesn't seem it'd make a difference for police departments), or would it hardly be enough to make much of a difference to my current application.

No. It will not help at all.

Comment

Originally posted by randomacts13x View Post
      So my background is wishy washy... nothing criminal, no current points on my license, credit is in the mid 600's. I'm 27, ive had around 12 jobs since I was 16 years old. I have a background in police work as a seasonal officer, but with full arrest powers. I have a high school diploma but no college or military... I've been rejected at least 50 times in the last 5 years.

My current employer is a private school and will pay for me to obtain a class B CDL license with both a passenger and school bus endorsement. Do you think this type of license would be a plus in the eyes of some sheriff's offices (doesn't seem it'd make a difference for police departments), or would it hardly be enough to make much of a difference to my current application.
      So let's straighten this out. In five years of trying to obtain employment in LE you have been rejected fifty times and the only way you have tried improve your background is by getting a CDL license? I do admire your persistency, however something has to change if you want in. I would say try looking at college, military, volunteering and or all three, otherwise look for employment elsewhere.

Comment

Well I started applying to LEO jobs while in Arizona. I did mass applications hoping to get picked up by someone. Since moving back from Arizona I attended a vocational school for PC programming and network security, obtained some IT certifications and training. And after that, I was enlisted in the Marine Corps in the Delayed Entry program for 1 year but never shipped to Parris Island because I could not make weight (5'10" and 205 pounds, I needed to get to 185 pounds). I was told after a year that I need to go through MEPs again to renew my enlistment or I can take a discharge. I was accepted to a police department to work as a seasonal shortly after so I declined going through MEPs. Since then I have just worked to improve my credit, and with all the debt ive worked to clear I could not afford to go back to college. Instead, I took the best opportunity I could find after the police, as a security officer for a private school, selected as 1 of 3 among over 500 applicants. I have currently in the process with about 6 or 7 different agencies but over the years I refused to give up on my dream, but some days it feels like a lost cause because of my lack of a college education as well as a poor job history (although i only have good references and never any disciplinary actions or terminations from any of my past employers)

Comment

Then I encourage you not to give up. But you have to do something to set yourself apart from the pool. The employer is going to ask you and you should yourself this "why should I hire you ?". You say that you can't afford to go to school, but the real question is can you afford not to? Start thinking outside the box and be resourceful.

Comment

I appreciate the motivation. I'll take a look at doing some online courses somewhere to revolve around my work schedule.

Out of curiosity... some applications have you list the departments/agencies youve applied to in the past. How important is this part of the application but at this point I have completely lost count of when and where I have applied over the last 5 or 6 years. I think in the past year alone I've applied to 13 departments throughout Maryland, DC, and Virginia.
            Last edited by wickedta; 01-16-2015, 01:13 PM. Reason: had to switch profiles, having email issues

Comment

The license will not help in LE but if it helps in your current job I recommend you getting it.

A massive number of people are 'hopeful' candidates for LEO jobs. Many are going to have better records and worse records than you. You must do well on testing (top 5-10% minimum), you must shine in appearance and personality.....and with the numbers of ex-military looking into LE work you'd better have a mature demeanor.....and quite frankly it doesn't hurt to know somebody inside an agency who can help 'make a case' for your hire behind the closed doors of the selection process. Even BFE and rinky-dink agencies can be extremely picky.

Bottom line...if you're not in the top 5% for what a PARTICULAR agency wants...your not going to get hired.
              Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
              “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
              “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
              "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
              ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

Originally posted by randomacts13x View Post

At first blush it looks to me like you don't have a chance getting hired with a 4 yr degree. You just really bring nothing to the table that makes you STAND OUT

I also still think that being rejected 50 times in 5 yrs (even with mass applications) is saying something is really wrong. Don't know what, but there is a reason you are not being picked up by someone with that many applications

The CDL would mean nothing to anyone------
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Well as my last background investigator at ocean city told me when I was selected for full time employment but not past the final 7 to final 4: my credit was in shambles from past closed accounts. So I've been getting further with my applications now that my credit is a lot better so I think that explains all the rejections to a good extent.

But i agree with everyone... i don't have anything that really stands out except my evaluation from that department as a seasonal.

Comment

Originally posted by wickedta View Post
                    I appreciate the motivation. I'll take a look at doing some online courses somewhere to revolve around my work schedule.

Out of curiosity... some applications have you list the departments/agencies youve applied to in the past. How important is this part of the application but at this point I have completely lost count of when and where I have applied over the last 5 or 6 years. I think in the past year alone I've applied to 13 departments throughout Maryland, DC, and Virginia.
                    You should ALWAYS keep a copy of any application you turn in............
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4221 users online. 275 members and 3946 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X