Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for field training?

Hey guys,

I just recently got hired on by my local agency in Florida for a full-time sworn position in road patrol. I start on the 26th doing some adminstrative paperwork, and get sworn in on the 27th. I would appreciate any advice that could be given, from either experienced LEOs or those who recently went through the field training process themselves. I have searched and browsed through the forums quite a bit, and received a lot of useful information already, but there is always room to learn more.

Thank you!

Be a sponge.
    Don't mimic anyone, develop your own style.
    FTO calls the shots. LISTEN to them.
    KNOW your GOs.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

You have two eyes and two ears but only one mouth for a reason.

That reason is Field Training.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Review the material in the "Rookie Corner" section of the forum, specifically this thread: http://forums.officer.com/t10673/

Comment

Avoid the phrase "I know" even of you do. The best way to show your FTO you know is by doing. Soak it all in!
          NYPD Exam 2302 (July, 2011) - 9x.xxx
          List number (December, 2011) - 2xx
          APD -???

Comment

Always know where you are. ie: I am at the corner of Elm Street and Wanker Lane. Or the 3000 block of Campbelton Road. Practice doing this while you're driving in your POV. It will become a habit

And read what the others above have written. Good luck and Congratulations.
            Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Read out license plates as you see them on your off time until you're comfortable. Also if you're going to priority calls don't be afraid to take charge immediately and put your hands on people and handcuff them. After they are cuffed and it's safe you can slow down and start to problem solve. Officer safety above all. Be safe.

Comment

Ask lots of questions.

Don't question your FTO

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist View Post
                  Always know where you are. ie: I am at the corner of Elm Street and Wanker Lane. Or the 3000 block of Campbelton Road. Practice doing this while you're driving in your POV. It will become a habit
                  Definitely what Zeitgeist said. Until you really know the area, get in the habit of looking at street signs every time you turn a corner while on patrol. It will help you to always know where you are.
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

(message deleted)
                    Last edited by triniboy05; 11-30-2019, 12:42 AM.
                    God never promised that it would be easy, just that he would be there with you every step of the way.

Comment

Things that have worked well for me:

Be receptive of feedback. If you don't know something, ask. Be a team player. Even if it's not your case, you can still help by inputting data or packaging evidence. When SHTF, jump in and do your part. Be safe.
                      "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                        Be a sponge.
                        Don't mimic anyone, develop your own style.
                        FTO calls the shots. LISTEN to them.
                        KNOW your GOs.
                        ^^^Yes!
                        Mimic only those things that are professional from your top-notch guys.
                        Be humble. Too many new rookies coming out of academies have a serious 'entitlement' attitude. DON'T be that guy. Remember that you are BLESSED to be in the BEST profession on Earth in this very tough economy. NOBODY owes you ANYTHING. Go out there and WORK HARD.

Comment

Just keep in mind that it gets better than field training. Some of the most unhappy days of my life were during field training, but it gets so much better when you are riding solo. Stress levels way down.

Comment

Actually the fact that you asked this question speaks volumes about your work ethic and attitude. Read all of the suggestions above. Good luck, I have a feeling you will do well.
                            Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Hanmo View Post
                              Just keep in mind that it gets better than field training. Some of the most unhappy days of my life were during field training, but it gets so much better when you are riding solo. Stress levels way down.

Yes, yes and yes; once you're cut loose and on your own, a lot of things improve for the better.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4931 users online. 278 members and 4653 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X