Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concerns about background

Good Afternoon,

While I am probably a year or two away from starting the application process, I have some questions in regards to my past background. While I see many people asking the same question, everyone could have different circumstances.

First, traffic violations. While I have no moving violations, I would expect this to come up and I would answer with utmost honesty when questioned. So here is everything:

When I was 17, I was pulled over on 3 separate occasions.

The first was for cutting off a vehicle (which was actually girlfriend and she knew I was doing it). The officer understandably questioned my behavior, performed a sobriety test (I was not drinking) and gave me a warning for failure to signal a lane change

The next two were for expired registration and inspection, consecutively. Both occasions I was ticketed and they were both dismissed when I presented evidence that the violation was resolved.

That aside, the only other issues I can see were from underage drinking on around 5 or 6 occasions, none of which involved any driving while intoxicated.

No substance abuse or illegal drugs, however the president of the car club I am a member of has mentioned on occasion that he smokes marijuana, which I have been in the presence of one time.

There has been only one occasion which I was driving when I was probably over the limit. No excuses there.

I have been in one accident, however I was not at fault nor was I ticketed. However the driver that caused the incident fled the scene. I was responsible for the damages to the other involved car since I had departed from my lane.

Last, my job history is solid aside from being fired from my first job after 2 years for attendance issues. I was 17 at that time. Attendance has not been an issue since, aside from a couple of health related issues.

Please let me know your thoughts. I understand this may vary depending on the situation.
    Last edited by rlacy321; 01-14-2015, 03:54 PM.

I don't see anything, standing by itself, that would DQ you. I do see, a hint of minimization and rationalization. Should you elect to apply, you'll be asked if you've ever committed a crime/offense/violation for which you were not arrested of prosecuted. Full and complete disclosure of the incidents you noted in your post will be required. That is imperative.

While I noted that I didn't see any real DQ's in your "resume", there is also nothing there which would make you anything more than a very average, possibly below average applicant. You can change that, and make yourself a more attractive candidate by building s solid record of citizenship. This includes a stable job history, an arrest free, violation free personal and driving record.

It is equally imperative that you're careful with whom you associate. That includes ANY people who habitually, or even occasionally use illegal or controlled substances, or who drink excessively. Unlike politics, law enforcement still maintains some rather exacting standards, and if it's your wish to join us, you have to meet those standards.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
      I don't see anything, standing by itself, that would DQ you. I do see, a hint of minimization and rationalization. Should you elect to apply, you'll be asked if you've ever committed a crime/offense/violation for which you were not arrested of prosecuted. Full and complete disclosure of the incidents you noted in your post will be required. That is imperative.

While I noted that I didn't see any real DQ's in your "resume", there is also nothing there which would make you anything more than a very average, possibly below average applicant. You can change that, and make yourself a more attractive candidate by building s solid record of citizenship. This includes a stable job history, an arrest free, violation free personal and driving record.

It is equally imperative that you're careful with whom you associate. That includes ANY people who habitually, or even occasionally use illegal or controlled substances, or who drink excessively. Unlike politics, law enforcement still maintains some rather exacting standards, and if it's your wish to join us, you have to meet those standards.
      Thank you for the excellent insight. This helps me greatly to understand myself outside of my own perspective. I did not even realize the rationalization and minimization till you pointed it out, this helps me understand how I come across.

This is why I have set a goal to be in the proper condition, both mentally and physically, to start the application process within 1 to 2 years. Thanks again, very helpful.

Comment

As long as you didn't pick your feet in Poughkeepsie, you will be fine.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
          As long as you didn't pick your feet in Poughkeepsie, you will be fine.
          How about twiddling his thumbs in Twinsburg?
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by rlacy321 View Post
            Thank you for the excellent insight. This helps me greatly to understand myself outside of my own perspective. I did not even realize the rationalization and minimization till you pointed it out, this helps me understand how I come across.

This is why I have set a goal to be in the proper condition, both mentally and physically, to start the application process within 1 to 2 years. Thanks again, very helpful.
            It's great to see someone with your attitude. Good luck in your endeavors.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3271 users online. 190 members and 3081 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X