Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got rejected without even getting to orientation...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got rejected without even getting to orientation...

Applied to a SP agency, and I already got a rejection email and I couldn't even move on to the orientation...the first part of the process...I don't feel good about myself at all right now or how things are looking

Should I just give up at this age? I'm 21 with an Associate's.

It was Maryland State Police

If you quit that easily, don't be a cop.
    This is what happens when we create an everybody wins nation...
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
      If you quit that easily, don't be a cop.
      This is what happens when we create an everybody wins nation...
      I meant quitting currently because I'm too young...maybe wait till I'm 25+

I've already been rejected at another agency (I am currently going with them again) but at least I made it to the end with them and only got rejected because there were not enough spots left for me and I'm able to get in for the next class if I pass the requirements. I'm just disappointed that I didn't even get to the first part with MSP. I sent in the application and a week later I'm rejected. It's just a bummer.

Comment

Originally posted by MCR1 View Post
        I meant quitting currently because I'm too young...maybe wait till I'm 25+

I've already been rejected at another agency (I am currently going with them again) but at least I made it to the end with them and only got rejected because there were not enough spots left for me and I'm able to get in for the next class if I pass the requirements. I'm just disappointed that I didn't even get to the first part with MSP. I sent in the application and a week later I'm rejected. It's just a bummer.
        State police agencies are notoriously hard to crack. I know many GREAT cops who have not been able to get hired with one but work their butts off in other agencies.

Their standards are usually VERY strict.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
          State police agencies are notoriously hard to crack. I know many GREAT cops who have not been able to get hired with one but work their butts off in other agencies.

Their standards are usually VERY strict.
          I agree. I'm looking at many other agencies outside of my state because the state is going down at this point, and Christie has destroyed the pension. But a lot of other agencies require you to be a resident of their county, or city...

Comment

I think I can speak for most officers on this board that we've gotten "no" more often than "yes"
            NYPD Exam 2302 (July, 2011) - 9x.xxx
            List number (December, 2011) - 2xx
            APD -???

Comment

Why were you rejected? Lets start there and work our way towards a better answer for you!
              sigpic

"When a police officer is killed, it's not an agency that loses an officer, it's an entire nation." -Chris Cosgriff, ODMP Founder

http://www.odmp.org/

Comment

Originally posted by wutzcrack3n View Post
                Why were you rejected? Lets start there and work our way towards a better answer for you!
                That would be a good place to start.

Comment

You probably had an issue on your background that was immediate DQ for MSP but not for whatever other agency you are processing with. I am fairly familiar with MSP processing and I believe the orientation is one step after the initial application which means something on there triggered a red flag with them. But without knowing your history none of us can do anything but speculate at this point. I would urge you to revisit the MSP website and re-familiarize yourself with their mandatory minimum requirements.

Comment

MSP states you are auto DQ from the inital application if you've used marijuana the past 3 years or used any control substance. I have never done drugs.

One thing that happened to me in high school is that I was arrested for fighting a bully at age 15. No charges were ever filed and I was released the next day. Stupid is as stupid does as a teenager but I would never assume I would be DQ for that. I don't have an arrest record either. I was never finger printed or booked to a detention center. I was kept overnight at a police station and I was released under my parents the next day.

EDIT: I must add that it says I have been put on the inactive list. Is this MSP way of saying "You're permanently disqualified"?
                    Last edited by MCR1; 01-13-2015, 12:13 PM.

Comment

MSP states you are auto DQ from the inital application if you've used marijuana the past 3 years or used any control substance. I have never done drugs.

One thing that happened to me in high school is that I was arrested for fighting a bully at age 15. No charges were ever filed and I was released the next day. Stupid is as stupid does as a teenager but I would never assume I would be DQ for that. I don't have an arrest record either. I was never finger printed or booked to a detention center. I was kept overnight at a police station and I was released under my parents the next day.

EDIT: I must add that it says I have been put on the inactive list. Is this MSP way of saying "You're permanently disqualified"?
                      No clue about the inactive list that's something you should call MSP and ask. The fighting doesn't look that good and you are still young. Its pretty rare for a agency to hire a 21 year old, especially a state agency.

Comment

I tested at over 15 departments. Worked part time at two for a year and then moved 1700 miles for a full time LEO position. It just depends how bad you want it.

Comment

Nope, just a personal thought, and being retired from a State law enforcement agency, I don't think the juvenile "arrest" did it. To tell you the truth, your post (initial) raises more questions than answers.

It's possible that:

You don't meet the basic requirements for appointment. (minimum age, education, physical fitness).

That there is an issue in your background which removed you from further consideration.

That you failed to properly complete the application, or other required documents.

These are just a few possibilities which came to mind. Only you know which of them, or others might apply.

Comment

MSP has 2000+ applicants a month, and 2-3 orientations a month with 150 applicants each. Statistically, most people won't get an invite to the orientation. Unless you have a bachelors, are a paramedic (their flight medic program), and/or extensive military experience, you won't make the cut..

Consider starting with a local department (Baltimore is always hiring), get your degree and try again.

Comment

Consider getting a 4 yr degree and learn another language if you only speak English. Don't take it so personally.
                              Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2677 users online. 151 members and 2526 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X