300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this ruin my chances?

I had a couple of tickets when I was 18, I'm 21 now. One of them was careless driving and another was speeding. Since then they all have been wiped off my record. But I just had a fender bender about 3 weeks ago. I was at fault and received a improper lane change citation. Will this severely effect my chances of being hired?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You seem be having a little problem with traffic violations. That could very well be a problem for you. Any of the violations you noted, taken by itself, would not really be a problem. In total they are.

Should you apply, it will be imperative that you list each violation/infraction . Additionally, list the dates, times, and disposition of each case. Assume that NOTHING has been wiped off, or cleared from your Motor Vehicle History.

Comment

They won't "ruin" your chances. But when comparing you to someone who doesn't have a pattern of disregarding traffic laws and traffic safety, they certainly won't help.

Comment

Three movers and an at fault crash in three years doesn't bode well for you.

Comment

I understand, when I was in high school I was that one kid with the fast car. I've matured a lot since then, that last accident was just a case of me not paying attention.

Comment

It's not an excuse. Your driving history sucks...
            Give it 5-10 years.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by Dlittle93 View Post
              I had a couple of tickets when I was 18, I'm 21 now. One of them was careless driving and another was speeding. Since then they all have been wiped off my record. But I just had a fender bender about 3 weeks ago. I was at fault and received a improper lane change citation. Will this severely effect my chances of being hired?

Your driving history is one way departments judge impulse control, responsibility, maturity, respect for the law and the ability to follow rules (among others). In today's climate, you will need several years of violation and accident free driving before you are hired.

My advice is to earn a four-year degree (not CJ), obey the law (including the vehicle code), and build a positive employment history. Hopefully, that will allow you to reach your goal.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm still gonna give it a shot and see what happens. I may get a chance, I'll never know unless I try.

Comment

I understand, when I was in high school I was that one kid with the fast car. I've matured a lot since then, that last accident was just a case of me not paying attention.

OK, try to understand this. What you posted above^^^^^^^is B.S. When I did Backgrounds, and I heard something like that, I made certain those higher up in the hiring chain knew about it. It never helped an applicant.

Additionally, here's something from my Agency you might wish to ponder. "Any pattern of arrests/violations evidencing a disregard or disrespect for the law is grounds for Disqualification".

Once more, and this is a must, you're going to need to put a minimum of three, but more like five years, between your last violation and your application.

Comment

Think of it this way, one of the most common things you will do as a patrol officer is to drive a car. Do you really think that any department is really going to want to expose themselves to the liability that you have proven yourself to be?
                    In God We Trust
                    Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm still gonna give it a shot and see what happens. I may get a chance, I'll never know unless I try.

So, you come on this site asking for advice from professionals. When that advice tells you to wait for several years to prove your maturity you decide to ignore that advice and "give it a shot" anyway.

Good luck and good bye
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I just wanted a better perspective of what I'm getting into.

Comment

I just wanted a better perspective of what I'm getting into.

And, we've given you that. Honest, straight from the shoulder truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Country_Jim View Post
                            Your driving history is one way departments judge impulse control, responsibility, maturity, respect for the law and the ability to follow rules (among others). In today's climate, you will need several years of violation and accident free driving before you are hired.

My advice is to earn a four-year degree (not CJ), obey the law (including the vehicle code), and build a positive employment history. Hopefully, that will allow you to reach your goal.

Good luck in your endeavors.
                            Best advice you've gotten and I suggest you take it. Also taking a drivers class without being ordered to would be a really good idea.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3688 users online. 241 members and 3447 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X