300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad is my background?

I'll get straight to the point because you've all probably read a million of these threads

I'm 21 now and will graduate with a CJ degree next year.

16: Hit and run- Backed into a car, cracked left tail light and fled (was never caught)

17: Smoked MJ a total of 3 times.

17: Drove while intoxicated (never caught) (First/last time I drank is high school)

18-19: Drank roughly 2-4 times per month while in college

I also occasionally take food from work (less than $5 at a time) 5-7 times a year.

I appreciate the straight forward answers this forum provides. Hopefully I can get an idea if I need to put more time between myself and my crimes, assuming I haven't already DQ'd myself. Thanks
    Last edited by UCBC12; 01-07-2015, 09:43 PM.

Honestly, your still young and have made some not so good decisions when it comes to alcohol, theft and drug use. Sounds horrible but this is how you are seen by potential employers. Getting your CJ degree is a good start but many people feel that getting their degree seems to wash away their mistakes and gives them a clear start....it doesn't....Its a good start to showing maturity but you will need to put some distance between yourself and the bone head things you did as a youth.

I am not so sure you are automatically DQ'd but with the current state of police departments having well qualified applicants to choose from, you are looking at a uphill climb until you can distance yourself from your past alittle. Good luck
    Last edited by 31BLaxer; 01-07-2015, 09:52 PM.

Comment

You are a thief.
      You hit and ran.
      You are a substance abuser.

You have issues.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

You have a problem with alcohol

You also are a thief

I would have troubles recommending a hire
        Last edited by Iowa #1603; 01-07-2015, 10:09 PM.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

What do you mean when you say you "take food from work?"

Comment

Thanks for the answers 31BLaxer, CCCSD, and Iowa.

Just Joe, I mean taking home food, like a hamburger for example, after my shift without paying

Comment

Originally posted by UCBC12 View Post
              I mean taking home food, like a hamburger for example, after my shift without paying
              It is a common practice in the restaurant industry for workers to get one free meal per day. What is the policy of your employer?
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
                It is a common practice in the restaurant industry for workers to get one free meal per day. What is the policy of your employer?
                OP: This is what I am trying to get at. Do you work in a restaurant? Is this approved by management? Are you expected to pay for all food?

Comment

My first question to you is going to be what is your employer's policy on taking food?

Time and honesty may work in your favor with the other things, but I have concerns there as well.
                  In God We Trust
                  Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

I'll get straight to the point because you've all probably read a million of these threads

16: Hit and run- Backed into a car, cracked left tail light and fled (was never caught)

17: Drove while intoxicated (never caught) (First/last time I drank is high school)

I also occasionally take food from work (less than $5 at a time) 5-7 times a year.

I appreciate the straight forward answers this forum provides. Hopefully I can get an idea if I need to put more time between myself and my crimes, assuming I haven't already DQ'd myself. Thanks
                    It would appear that "take food from work" is a euphemism for "steal food from work". If it wasn't you wouldn't have mentioned it. You are a thief, who steals while working on a CJ degree with a goal of being a LE officer. To be blunt, we don't need your type in our ranks.
                    Last edited by Country_Jim; 01-08-2015, 02:41 AM.

Comment

As the others have pointed out pretty well, the stealing of food, even if just $5 worth, is going to be an issue.

Alcohol could be if it becomes a problem and causes other "mistakes".

Drug use, you'll need to put time between you and those events and keep off them.

DUI and a hit and run will also be a hard one to get through.

I'll say that you seem to be trying to minimize and justify your actions when it comes to the stealing. It's not the dollar value that will hurt you it's the fact you are doing it. An honest person with integrity doesn't go and not pay for things. If you try to tell us you are a "struggling college student" I will come back with "so you talk with your manager and get permission or you pay." This would fix any theft issues.

The other issues, the "young and dumb" excuse only goes so far. At 16 you can drive. You have the cognitive ability and have been trusted with controlling a nearly 1/2 ton machine that has been responsible for many being hurt and killed when not use properly. The ability to make decisions, right and wrong, is well established by this time and someone who has "dreamed" of this line of work makes good and ethical decisions during their life and not just starting in college and when they have that CJ degree they are afraid they can't use.

I think we are beating this horse well and I hope you get the point. Right now you'll have problems getting hired. Put some time and maturity into it and eventually, you might be able to make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                        You have a problem with alcohol

You also are a thief

I would have troubles recommending a hire
                        This is exactly right. Also the hit and run is really bad. The best advice I can give you is find another career right now and I'd say you have about 10 years before someone really considers you. In this 10 years you can't get in any trouble, not even a speeding ticket.

Comment

OK, here's straight. You've got issues: major issues. Let's review. Based on your post, you have a drinking problem. Taking food from your place of employment tells me you have an ongoing integrity problem.

In addition you have a propensity to rationalize, minimize, even justify your drinking, and your continuing theft. ("less than $5 at a time) 5-7 times a year.

Should you apply, you'll be asked if you've EVER committed a crime or offense for which you were never arrested or prosecuted. Yes, it will necessary for you to put some time between your last offense and application. My sense says a minimum of at least five years. Even then you'd emerge as no more than a below average to average candidate.

Comment

L-1, the policy at the restaurant is $16/month and you can eat however much you like. The policy is irrelevant though since the food should not be leaving work without approval.

Comment

Thank you all for the honest replies.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5033 users online. 273 members and 4760 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X