Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For time Out of state applicant (Ohio to Texas) - background and questions

Edit: my title should say "FIRST time out of state applicant" oops

Hey everyone, I'm new to this and this could turn into a lengthy post, but I'll do my best to keep it short and to the point.

I am a 23 year old college senior about to graduate this may with a criminal justice degree. My overall GPA is 3.2 and my major GPA is 3.4
    I am in great physical shape. My vertical is 29 inches, my 300 meter run time is 47 seconds and push-ups/pull-ups/sit-ups are of no issue to me. My 1.5 run time is somewhere around 11 minutes.
    As far as my criminal background goes, I have been pulled over a few times, but never received a ticket. My freshman year of college I received a citation for underage drinking, but because it was my first offense I completed a diversion program and the charges were dropped and my record was expunged.

My work history involves part time jobs since I am a full time student. I've been a personal trainer for most of my employment history.
    My father is a lieutenant and law enforcement runs in my family. I've been on multiple ride alongs through busy night shifts with my dads department and know this is what I want to do.

After all of this... My first question is, is applying to big departments out of state worth the investment despite my lack of experience? I have applied to Austin and am going to apply to Houston. But because of the long testing process, flying repeatedly to Texas could get pricey. Basically I'm hoping my lack of LE experience won't hurt my chances.

I have always wanted to move down south and get out of the cold. I met with my dads police chief who recently retired from Miami Dade PD and he gave me the run down on how to research PDs and when I mentioned wanting to work in Texas he had nothing bad to say. I've noticed that there is lots of growth in the big cities and that the pay is much better than it is up north.

One last question, would it be a smarter move for me to apply my application efforts to smaller departments before trying for the big cities?

Thanks for all your help and I look forward to using this forum to help me land a job very soon!
    Last edited by jtroy13; 01-07-2015, 05:11 PM.

Originally posted by jtroy13 View Post
    E

After all of this... My first question is, is applying to big departments out of state worth the investment despite my lack of experience? I have applied to Austin and am going to apply to Houston. But because of the long testing process, flying repeatedly to Texas could get pricey. Basically I'm hoping my lack of LE experience won't hurt my chances.

One last question, would it be a smarter move for me to apply my application efforts to smaller departments before trying for the big cities?

Thanks for all your help and I look forward to using this forum to help me land a job very soon!
    For the most part larger departments are usually more likely to hire people with little to no experience in law enforcement.

They are big enough to absorb a green rookie & have the resources to train them. PLUS they like to NOT have to "retrain" those who have habits from prior jobs.

Smaller departments would often rather hire experienced officers and not have to put so much time into them .

Really, really small agencies are the ones that almost always have to hire inexperienced officers............but that is a whole different story

^^^^^^^ All of the above are general statements and not meant to talk about all agencies or their hiring practices......Your mileage is going to vary depending on the agency (s) in question.

If you want to move out of your current state and get a job, it is going to be pricey..............unless you move to that state and THEN get a job there.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

The first thing I need to emphasize to you is to fully disclose any arrests, citations, summon's, or contacts other than casual with the police. In a police Background Investigation there is NO such thing as an Expungement. Records which have been expunged, modified, sealed, or set aside, are routinely accessed by Background Investigators.

Now that that's out of the way, the decision when/where to apply is essentially yours. Very generally, larger jurisdictions will pay more, and offer better benefits than smaller venues. There are exceptions though, so research will be your friend.

Most agencies, especially larger ones will maintain websites. More often than not, these sites are very informative, and will offer you information on hiring requirements, testing, and contact information for Recruiters and H/R personnel.

You should measure yourself objectively against the posted standards and requirements. Best of luck in your efforts.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
        The first thing I need to emphasize to you is to fully disclose any arrests, citations, summon's, or contacts other than casual with the police. In a police Background Investigation there is NO such thing as an Expungement. Records which have been expunged, modified, sealed, or set aside, are routinely accessed by Background Investigators.
        I fully disclosed the incident with which I recieved my underage along with the process and how it was expunged. My dad made sure I understood that being honest with everything is of utmost importance! Thanks for your reply

Comment

You're entirely welcome. Yeah, I make full disclosure a point. Best of luck.

Comment

Work experience, specifically LE experience, is not that big of a factor for us. We look for attitude and aptitude. If you have the right attitude and the right aptitude, you can learn LE, even if you previously worked in an unrelated field.

I highly encourage you to apply with the Houston Police Department!

www.hpdcareer.com

Assistant Chief Vazquez

Comment

If I were looking to get into a big city environment, HPD would be one of the first places I looked, along with Ft. Worth. Barring that there are also some smaller agencies that surround the two cities that I would also take a serious look at as well.

As my colleague stated, looking for work out of state will be expensive. Some agencies will work with you to minimize the number of trips you have to make, so that will help. Texas is a great place to be a police officer, so i encourage you to invest in finding out what we have to offer,
              In God We Trust
              Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

You could also look into the Texas DPS.

Before I got hired in NY, I went through the process with them. I had to fly back and forth a couple times, but they could tell I was serious and had the right attitude by doing so. I ultimately received a conditional offer from them at the same time as my home town. Staying at home was the better decision for me so I respectfully explained the situation and turned it down.

All in all, everyone I dealt with in Texas was extremely helpful and professional. I would recommend looking into it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5420 users online. 340 members and 5080 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X