300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neighbors - Background Investigation

As I was completing an application for a local PD (possibly the most recognizable city in my area), there was a section in the application asking for my adjacent neighbor information. This is not the first time I've seen this on an application. When I first saw it (around September/october) I left a note in my neighbor's mailbox with my contact information, explaining that I am in the police academy and applying to agencies and explaining that I will be needing my neighbors name/address/telephone number and if they could return the cards to my mailbox with aforementioned information. As of January, still no response to those cards. No worry. I finally was able to approach a neighbor about the need for information. I explained the situation again and asked for their help. The neighbor got highly defensive and explained that the police do not use that information and she would not give it to me, threatening to call the police if I did not leave her property (ironic?).

Anyway, my question is... do background investigators utilize neighbor information for references? If so, to what extent. Also, has anyone else encountered something similar?

Thank you in advance, as always.

Originally posted by CharlesInCharge23 View Post
    Anyway, my question is... do background investigators utilize neighbor information for references? If so, to what extent. Also, has anyone else encountered something similar?
    Of course they do...................................the neighbors will be contacted .

If they choose not to participate ---------oh well it's nothing you can control
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

If you don't know them, don't force them to give you information. I would have slammed the door in your face.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
        If you don't know them, don't force them to give you information. I would have slammed the door in your face.
        I definitely didn't force and I didn't think I was being pushy. I dont have an abrasive personality as is so I thought I came over friendly... Oh well, no love lost. Asked another neighbor. Thanks fellas

Comment

If you know their name(s), you can put it/them down along with the address as you obviously have that. If you don't even after trying to chat with them, then so be it. I've done investigations where the candidate told me, "I don't really talk to my neighbors, so I couldn't let them know you might be getting in touch." Sure enough when I show up to the person's residence and explain why I'm there, I got a "Don't know him, don't want to know him, don't need to know him. Please go away." (Surprisingly(!), I got the sense at that moment that some people just don't like the police being at their house)

It happens. It doesn't detract from you, so don't worry about it. But definitely don't badger them. That won't help.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan571 View Post
            If you know their name(s), you can put it/them down along with the address as you obviously have that. If you don't even after trying to chat with them, then so be it. I've done investigations where the candidate told me, "I don't really talk to my neighbors, so I couldn't let them know you might be getting in touch." Sure enough when I show up to the person's residence and explain why I'm there, I got a "Don't know him, don't want to know him, don't need to know him. Please go away." (Surprisingly(!), I got the sense at that moment that some people just don't like the police being at their house)

It happens. It doesn't detract from you, so don't worry about it. But definitely don't badger them. That won't help.
            I am meeting with my recruiter tomorrow so I will inform him as well. I keep to myself so my neighbors (except one) don't really know me haha. Thanks!

Comment

Contact with neighbors by the Investigator is pretty routine. Ordinarily, there should be NO need for you contact any of your neighbors in regard to any Background Investigation being conducted on you. I probably would not have especially appreciated you contacting me either. The Investigator would be another matter.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                Contact with neighbors by the Investigator is pretty routine. Ordinarily, there should be NO need for you contact any of your neighbors in regard to any Background Investigation being conducted on you. I probably would not have especially appreciated you contacting me either. The Investigator would be another matter.
                I completely understand that. The application asked name, telephone number and address. Was just trying to complete to the best of my ability. Live and learn i suppose

Comment

If you don't know your neighbors and an application asks for that information, is it better to make an attempt to get it from them or just indicated that you don't know them and have had no contact with them? I haven't come across it on any applications yet, but it sounds possible in the future. Also, how many neighbors would they want to know? I live in an end unit townhouse, so I have once person next to me , one behind me and a few across from me.

Comment

This happened to me as well. My one neighbor threatened to call the police on me. And at a later date yelled at me again while minding my own business and holding my young daughter. He has looked pretty sheepish now that he's seen me in uniform
                    NYPD Exam 2302 (July, 2011) - 9x.xxx
                    List number (December, 2011) - 2xx
                    APD -???

Comment

Originally posted by nyislesfan42 View Post
                      If you don't know your neighbors and an application asks for that information, is it better to make an attempt to get it from them or just indicated that you don't know them and have had no contact with them? I haven't come across it on any applications yet, but it sounds possible in the future. Also, how many neighbors would they want to know? I live in an end unit townhouse, so I have once person next to me , one behind me and a few across from me.
                      There's no one answer to that. As an investigator, I personally would appreciate you making an attempt to contact your neighbor but wouldn't expect you to put forth any effort beyond a cordial greeting if you didn't know them at all. Generally you don't see reclusive people in law enforcement. If you put down that you've lived at a residence several years but don't know your neighbors whatsoever, I'm going to wonder why. Don't give me extra reasons to be inquisitive (or, actually... please do!).

In my own experience, years before I was hired I actually posed this same question to an agency. In my case I had just moved in and hadn't caught up to meet my neighbors (vacation season) and the application deadline was a couple of days away. I was told by the recruiter that no box on the application was to be left blank nor filled with any information except what was asked lest I prefer not be considered at all. He left it at that. Given that though, I will say (in only my experience) that does not appear to be the norm.

As for what I'm looking for when I'm doing neighborhood visits, direct neighbors to your left and right suffice just fine. If I need more after that, I'll go knock on doors. Basically I'm just looking for the closest people who are going to be able to tell me if you flip them off driving home, peel out of your driveway in your IROC-Z with Van Halen blaring, if you're out drinking beer on your porch at all hours of the night, screaming "Get off my lawn!" to squirrels, you know - things like that.

Comment

There's no one answer to that. As an investigator, I personally would appreciate you making an attempt to contact your neighbor but wouldn't expect you to put forth any effort beyond a cordial greeting if you didn't know them at all. Generally you don't see reclusive people in law enforcement. If you put down that you've lived at a residence several years but don't know your neighbors whatsoever, I'm going to wonder why. Don't give me extra reasons to be inquisitive (or, actually... please do!).

In my own experience, years before I was hired I actually posed this same question to an agency. In my case I had just moved in and hadn't caught up to meet my neighbors (vacation season) and the application deadline was a couple of days away. I was told by the recruiter that no box on the application was to be left blank nor filled with any information except what was asked lest I prefer not be considered at all. He left it at that. Given that though, I will say (in only my experience) that does not appear to be the norm.

As for what I'm looking for when I'm doing neighborhood visits, direct neighbors to your left and right suffice just fine. If I need more after that, I'll go knock on doors. Basically I'm just looking for the closest people who are going to be able to tell me if you flip them off driving home, peel out of your driveway in your IROC-Z with Van Halen blaring, if you're out drinking beer on your porch at all hours of the night, screaming "Get off my lawn!" to squirrels, you know - things like that.
                        Hm... is Van halen a disqualifier

Comment

. If you put down that you've lived at a residence several years but don't know your neighbors whatsoever, I'm going to wonder why. Don't give me extra reasons to be inquisitive (or, actually... please do!). if you're out drinking beer on your porch at all hours of the night, screaming "Get off my lawn!" to squirrels, you know - things like that.
                          24 yrs at my current residence and I know their names...(well for the ones that lived here when we moved in , the rest are newer and I could care less who they are)..................nothing more I have the phone number of one of the neighbors but that is only because their cattle are always getting out and I call them to advise them of such.
                          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by nyislesfan42 View Post
                            I was told to put 3 adjacent neighbors. I live on the corner. I put my neighbor to the right, a neighbor on the other corner to my left and since my across the street neighbor pull their shenanigans, I provided a neighbor the next street over that I actually speak with's information. Just tried to provide any and all information I could find to make the investigators job easier.

Comment

Iowa brings up an excellent point that I failed to address. If you live in an area where you have an appreciable distance between you and your neighbors, I would certainly look at that differently. I unfortunately live in an area where most candidates live 6 to 12-feet from their neighbors.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5272 users online. 312 members and 4960 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X