300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it game over

I actually had made it into municipal LE last year after 7 years of applying. I did very well in the academy and the first two phases of field training. In the middle of second phase I was placed with a 3rd trainer and things went south. Day one I went through what I felt was like a productive day, I asked questions I got to answer calls, I was doing a majority on my own. I didn't receive one word of critique so I felt like I did good, right? wrong! The next day I got several not meeting the standards in every category.

- not using a light bar when pulled off the side of the road to look at my map
    -going through a yellow light
    -making a U turn when I was going one block in the wrong direction
    -answering the radio after callsign was said twice.
    -Parking in front of a No parking in this side of the street sign in response to a service call

I tried not repeating these "mistakes" again but each day it was a new thing. Such as
    multiple times writing/rewriting reports (period missing, comma missing)
    I went to hand cuff someone, who committed trespass, behind their back and I was yelled at by the FTO to handcuff her in the front because "she's harmless"

I would say stuff to myself in the car and the trainer would say, "that's wrong", and mark me down for it.

I was "tricked" a couple times where my trainer would tell me not to take notes and just watch (trainer) perform the task or answer the call. When we got back to the station the (trainer) would say "ok well why didn't you write anything down?"

There were times where my trainer would say, "I have personal things after the shift so I can't afford to stay later"

Oh and also on days where did perfect, my trainer would say, "Its going to be a non evaluation day today".

Now don't get me wrong, I did make mistakes along the way but with every other trainer, I focused on not making any more of the same after that. However with this one, it seemed if I did something wrong once I failed the entire category.

This led to a resignation in lieu of termination.

I tested with multiple police depts., I'm almost done with a major metropolitan city's testing process, Campus PD's are saying "F*** you", on smaller towns, Detectives doing backgrounds and polygraphs understood, however the psychologists administering psych exams did not. I had one psych actually say I don't want to face the liability of passing you and something happening.......

This honestly seems like a road block that I cannot overcome.

What should I do? Am I blackballed from ever getting another shot? I have a passion for the law and am considering law school

I'm a former FTO Supervisor, so perhaps I can offer you some cogent thoughts. Warning: You may not like some of what I offer you.
    First, and you no doubt already know this, but there are usually three sides to every story. We've heard yours

A properly administered FTO program is actually a "post graduate" course which supplements the academy curriculum. The program I was involved in began with a "limbo" period, usually of two to three days duration, in which nothing, negative or positive, was recorded. Past that, each and every activity the recruit performed was "on the record"

That record consisted of a Daily Observation Report (DOR).This document recorded each and every activity of the Recruit, and was reviewed and signed off on by both the FTO and The Recruit. The DOR was supplemented by a Weekly Observation Report, again reviewed and signed off on by both the FTo and the Recruit. Additionally, at the end of each week, the recruit was given a written examination. Again the results of that exam were recorded. A MINIMUM passing grade of 70% was required.

If a pronounced weakness in any procedure(s) was noted during the course of the week, remedial training was provided, and again, the results were documented. The particular FTO program I was involved with was 10 weeks in duration.

You have to realize that successful completion of any FTO program is usually a condition of employment. Most if not all agencies will terminate an employee who fails to successfully complete the required FTO program.

Will this result in your never being given another chance? Possibly not, but your resignation in lieu of termination won't help you either. My suggestion to you is that YOU take a long, hard, objective, and critical look at where YOU might just have dropped the ball.

In doing that, in being prepared for what will be an uphill battle, you might have one more shot. Good luck in your efforts.

Comment

You have several hurdles and red flags. A probationary discharge/resignation is always going to be scrutinized and examined. We hired a guy who was fired from another department, but we felt he was a probationary release from that dept because he was not a good fit for that dept., as oppossed to not being capable of being a good fit for us. We hired him and he has done well in his career. Your biggest hurdle is not making it past the head docs. It sounds like you have been dinged in the psych at least two times; that is a killer by itself and, it is more significant than your job loss.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
        You have several hurdles and red flags. A probationary discharge/resignation is always going to be scrutinized and examined. We hired a guy who was fired from another department, but we felt he was a probationary release from that dept because he was not a good fit for that dept., as oppossed to not being capable of being a good fit for us. We hired him and he has done well in his career. Your biggest hurdle is not making it past the head docs. It sounds like you have been dinged in the psych at least two times; that is a killer by itself and, it is more significant than your job loss.
        yea, I noticed a few red flags that so far no one else has mentioned-------------

I am going to be nit picky here but I really have problems with Ilconfidential's post

Ilconfidential------------------before I start I want you to know I went back and looked at your prior posts. I wanted to see if you had talked about any of this before and I couldn't find anything about your FTO problems in prior posts.

I don't know you nor do I know the cities in which you applied and worked BUT------I see problems.

Originally posted by ILconfidential View Post

I was doing a majority on my own. I didn't receive one word of critique so I felt like I did good, right? wrong! The next day I got several not meeting the standards in every category.

- not using a light bar when pulled off the side of the road to look at my map
        -going through a yellow light
        -making a U turn when I was going one block in the wrong direction
        -answering the radio after callsign was said twice.
        -Parking in front of a No parking in this side of the street sign in response to a service call
        ok I can understand that

I tried not repeating these "mistakes" again but each day it was a new thing. Such as
        multiple times writing/rewriting reports (period missing, comma missing)
        yep that is the process

I went to hand cuff someone, who committed trespass, behind their back and I was yelled at by the FTO to handcuff her in the front because "she's harmless"

I would say stuff to myself in the car and the trainer would say, "that's wrong", and mark me down for it.

I was "tricked" a couple times where my trainer would tell me not to take notes and just watch (trainer) perform the task or answer the call. When we got back to the station the (trainer) would say "ok well why didn't you write anything down?"
        Ok, HERE you are accusing your FTO of not only being dishonest, but actively sabotaging your career. I have problems with those scenarios because IF things happened this way.......... I can't understand why you didn't stand up for yourself at the time. There are ways of a trainee to appeal FTO remarks and/or scores. You should have availed yourself of those procedures...........Instead you laid down and not only took it-----you resigned

Now don't get me wrong, I did make mistakes along the way but with every other trainer, I focused on not making any more of the same after that. However with this one, it seemed if I did something wrong once I failed the entire category.

This led to a resignation in lieu of termination.
        why didn't you address this at the time instead of with us a year later-----------

I tested with multiple police depts., I'm almost done with a major metropolitan city's testing process, Campus PD's are saying "F*** you", on smaller towns, Detectives doing backgrounds and polygraphs understood, however the psychologists administering psych exams did not. I had one psych actually say I don't want to face the liability of passing you and something happening.......
        I think your troubles are far deeper than what you are admitting--------------either that or what you have admitted is closer to what I am reading into your answers

You probably are not going to like what I am thinking-----------------but you asked and I am going to say it anyway

I really think you have a problem accepting that you just are not suitable for law enforcement. You “did good' in the academic portion (academy) but failed the practical (FTO) part of the training. You just couldn't hack it and are here blaming your instructor rather than accepting the fact you can't do the actual job.

Not being able to do the job is not something to be ashamed of. Many if not most people can't or shouldn't be in our profession. Not cutting the mustard here isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I don't know----------------I could be wrong and some stupid *****er didn't like your looks and totally derailed you at your last cop job. I know some FTO's have attitudes and CAN have a God complex.

But , I doubt it.--------------almost every training officer I know really has TRIED to help new officers rather than ***** them.

This honestly seems like a road block that I cannot overcome.
        I am going to agree

I just don't think you are ever going to be a functional police officer................... a failure at FTO followed by at least 2 psych testing procedures------and then blaming the FTO for your inability to be trained ---------sorry I am not going to be a cheer leader

What should I do? Am I blackballed from ever getting another shot? I have a passion for the law and am considering law school
        Only you know what to do------------------------I think I gave you my thoughts...............which along with $2.95 will get you a cup of coffee at your favorite lunch wagaon.
        Last edited by Iowa #1603; 12-23-2014, 03:17 PM.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
          yea, I noticed a few red flags that so far no one else has mentioned-------------

I am going to be nit picky here but I really have problems with Ilconfidential's post

Ilconfidential------------------before I start I want you to know I went back and looked at your prior posts. I wanted to see if you had talked about any of this before and I couldn't find anything about your FTO problems in prior posts.

I don't know you nor do I know the cities in which you applied and worked BUT------I see problems.

ok I can understand that

yep that is the process

Ok, HERE you are accusing your FTO of not only being dishonest, but actively sabotaging your career. I have problems with those scenarios because IF things happened this way.......... I can't understand why you didn't stand up for yourself at the time. There are ways of a trainee to appeal FTO remarks and/or scores. You should have availed yourself of those procedures...........Instead you laid down and not only took it-----you resigned

why didn't you address this at the time instead of with us a year later-----------

I think your troubles are far deeper than what you are admitting--------------either that or what you have admitted is closer to what I am reading into your answers

You probably are not going to like what I am thinking-----------------but you asked and I am going to say it anyway

I really think you have a problem accepting that you just are not suitable for law enforcement. You “did good' in the academic portion (academy) but failed the practical (FTO) part of the training. You just couldn't hack it and are here blaming your instructor rather than accepting the fact you can't do the actual job.

Not being able to do the job is not something to be ashamed of. Many if not most people can't or shouldn't be in our profession. Not cutting the mustard here isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I don't know----------------I could be wrong and some stupid *****er didn't like your looks and totally derailed you at your last cop job. I know some FTO's have attitudes and CAN have a God complex.

But , I doubt it.--------------almost every training officer I know really has TRIED to help new officers rather than ***** them.

I am going to agree

I just don't think you are ever going to be a functional police officer................... a failure at FTO followed by at least 2 psych testing procedures------and then blaming the FTO for your inability to be trained ---------sorry I am not going to be a cheer leader

Only you know what to do------------------------I think I gave you my thoughts...............which along with $2.95 will get you a cup of coffee at your favorite lunch wagaon.

Iowa and everyone else. I honestly do not like what I heard. However it is something I needed to hear and something that I have been waiting to hear. I consider myself a perfectionist, and I haven't had a lot of experience "failing" at things. I used that as defense internally to avoid the concept of failure. I have been doing that lately and it needs to stop. Since I was young I wanted to join the FBI actually. Somewhere along the way I had this desire to be a police officer. I kept testing and working in security. Pretty soon the passion ended up turning into a thrill of the hunt. When I got on the department after 7 years, I wasn't necessarily overcome with joy. I did the academy and performed well, however, during scenarios I was pretty confused. Fast forward FTO, nothing seemed "right". I was taking a while on reports and overthinking things like crazy. I seriously overthought the job. Some shifts were hit or miss, I would lose focus at times. I didn't have the "police mindset" and I wanted to ignore it. I didn't feel like the police and I wanted to ignore it. I would come home tired and stressed after my shifts. I thought it was part of the daily stresses of field training. I was meeting standards in all the categories, but I felt like there were mistakes overlooked because I felt that my FTO's "liked" me. Second phase I returned from AIT with my reserve unit and I got a impartial trainer. She saw the mistakes I was making and legit called me out on it. My training sergeant told me that I would make a good officer but was not quite ready for the job. Also my commanders would give me positive recommendations should I decide to renter the profession

Men, when I read your posts, I stopped dead in my tracks and all of this just came out. If I pursue policing again, on the inside its really only going to be for the thrill of the hunt and nothing else. Being a police officer is not for me. I don't have the passion that I never even had in the first place. I humbly step down and will pursue something more in line with my goals and skillsets.

Comment

Sounds like you've made the correct decision. I hasten to add, there is NO dishonor in that. Best of luck in your endeavors.

Comment

You tried it and it's not for you; nothing wrong with that. A lot of people do multiple things before they find what is right for them. Good luck.

Comment

Iowa and everyone else. I honestly do not like what I heard. However it is something I needed to hear and something that I have been waiting to hear. I consider myself a perfectionist, and I haven't had a lot of experience "failing" at things. I used that as defense internally to avoid the concept of failure. I have been doing that lately and it needs to stop. Since I was young I wanted to join the FBI actually. Somewhere along the way I had this desire to be a police officer. I kept testing and working in security. Pretty soon the passion ended up turning into a thrill of the hunt. When I got on the department after 7 years, I wasn't necessarily overcome with joy. I did the academy and performed well, however, during scenarios I was pretty confused. Fast forward FTO, nothing seemed "right". I was taking a while on reports and overthinking things like crazy. I seriously overthought the job. Some shifts were hit or miss, I would lose focus at times. I didn't have the "police mindset" and I wanted to ignore it. I didn't feel like the police and I wanted to ignore it. I would come home tired and stressed after my shifts. I thought it was part of the daily stresses of field training. I was meeting standards in all the categories, but I felt like there were mistakes overlooked because I felt that my FTO's "liked" me. Second phase I returned from AIT with my reserve unit and I got a impartial trainer. She saw the mistakes I was making and legit called me out on it. My training sergeant told me that I would make a good officer but was not quite ready for the job. Also my commanders would give me positive recommendations should I decide to renter the profession

Men, when I read your posts, I stopped dead in my tracks and all of this just came out. If I pursue policing again, on the inside its really only going to be for the thrill of the hunt and nothing else. Being a police officer is not for me. I don't have the passion that I never even had in the first place. I humbly step down and will pursue something more in line with my goals and skillsets.
                Like I said before -----------------there is no dishonor in not being suited for the job.......

When I was a trainer and later as a supervisor I counseled several people who were just not making it-----They were trying and they were just not right. When some of them chose to resign, I told them to hold their head up high when doing so as it was NOTHING to be ashamed of..... Some of those who did NOT resigned needed to be terminated later ----that was not fun for any of us.

Failure is not fun for anyone-------------however sometimes "failure" is needed in order to point people in the correct direction. I am a firm believer in "There is a reason for everything". Many times you don't like the direction you are being pushed but you do it and lo and behold it works out.

I have told a few people here that I got fired from a police job many years ago. Well , officially I resigned but it was 10 steps ahead of being terminated. It crushed me---------but I ended up working a career in Corrections and excelling in that career. People who knew me from my police job hired me in retirement with a Sheriffs Office because they knew my mindset and my work ethic-------

Good luck
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thanks guys I felt so anger and bitter and ashamed this year applying and getting rejected. I have never felt such at peace with what I decided in a long time. What's funny is that I got farther in those processes within the year than I did in the seven year period. Thank you for reaching out and I hope to connect again with you guys in the future

Comment

I actually got feedback from the dept from a federal investigation and I was considered too "timid" for the position. Also said was that I seemed too nice and that they couldn't afford the time and money to allow me to adjust within the time frame

That explains the psych results so yes game over. At least I got a shot to see the job firsthand....
                    Last edited by ILconfidential; 01-22-2015, 11:58 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7022 users online. 369 members and 6653 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X