300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiring process while in school

Hey guys so I'm currently a student halfway through to getting my bachelor's. At the recommendation of a former LEO professor I've recently had, I'm think I'm gonna start taking local police civil service exams to not only take the first step, but also to give me some sort of idea what I'll be up against when I take more in the future. However, starting in August of 2015, I'll be in school up to two hours away from where I took any police exams because of school. So I have a couple questions so I can prepare myself for all possible contengencies, and I want a second opinion or two confirming this "early attack" is actually a good idea and not a detrimental one.

1) Is my professor right? Is it really "never too early" to start taking exams?

2) If selected to move further by an agency after a test, is the hiring process something I could do from a distance? I do have a dependable car and don't mind coming back and forth so long as I have ample notice before I'm asked to be anywhere.

3) I absolutely want to work as an LEO someday. You hear a lot about how competitive this sort of career is to secure for yourself right now. If I do end up ultimately receiving some sort of offer of employment while in school, would I be making a bad choice by leaving college to pursue it instead of continuing school? How long would I have to get my academic affairs in order before I would be expected to attend training, generally speaking?

Thanks for any input you guys might have on this topic. I really do appreciate it.

I disagree with your prof. I have taken a number of tests over the years, none of which were the same. They also did not build on each other. If you can graduate from college, you can pass a civil service test. Learn how to be a good test taker while you are in school and apply that later. Personally, I think you are wasting everyone's time. For my agency, no, you can't do things remotely. Finish school. There is no reason for you to start testing before your senior year. As a side note, my CJ classroom experience in a community college provided me with the ability to speak with folks who had significant, real life law enforcement experience (police management was taught by a large metro chief, evidence was taught by the director of the crime lab, organized crime was taught by an FBI agent, etc.). Almost without exception my undergrad and graduate school profs were academics who had zero real life experience in the world of criminal justice and law enforcement. I say that to say this, unless your prof has recent and real life LE experience, take everything he/they say with a grain of salt. Most of them know a lot about theory, but they don't know **** about real life.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
      I disagree with your prof. I have taken a number of tests over the years, none of which were the same. They also did not build on each other. If you can graduate from college, you can pass a civil service test. Learn how to be a good test taker while you are in school and apply that later. Personally, I think you are wasting everyone's time. For my agency, no, you can't do things remotely. Finish school. There is no reason for you to start testing before your senior year. As a side note, my CJ classroom experience in a community college provided me with the ability to speak with folks who had significant, real life law enforcement experience (police management was taught by a large metro chief, evidence was taught by the director of the crime lab, organized crime was taught by an FBI agent, etc.). Almost without exception my undergrad and graduate school profs were academics who had zero real life experience in the world of criminal justice and law enforcement. I say that to say this, unless your prof has recent and real life LE experience, take everything he/they say with a grain of salt. Most of them know a lot about theory, but they don't know **** about real life.
      Re-Read ths ^^^^^
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I honestly thought the same things as you two just pointed out to me again when he first said it, but he seemed to really push for it so it got me thinking. It's strange that he would make a bad recommendation because he does have SIGNIFICANT experience as a captain in my county. But thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by NewYorkerStudent View Post
          he does have SIGNIFICANT experience as a captain in my county. But thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated.
          That doesn't mean he has significant (or any ) experience in how other agencies work
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Are you going to take the job if offered to you and still have a year and a half left on your degree? If the answer is no, wait until closer to graduation. The only place I would apply with 2 years still to go is NYPD, just because, from what I understand, the process takes several years.
            "To hell with a supervisor, men follow a leader" -Texas Ranger Captain Allee

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."
            -Sun Tzu

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3666 users online. 232 members and 3434 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X