Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chances of winning an appeal for a psych exam?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And yes, I have moved on by applying elsewhere.

Comment

I always cringe when someone who is afforded an appel blows it because they have absolutely no comprehension of what they are doing or why.

A psych exam is given to determine whether an applicant is free from any emotional or mental condition that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a police officer, and to otherwise ensure that the candidate is capable of withstanding the psychological demands of the position. If you were DQed it was because the psychologist determined you were not free from an emotional or mental condition that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a police officer, or that you were incapable of withstanding the psychological demands of the position.

Simply because the doctor was 45 minutes late for your interview and only spent 10 minutes speaking with you does not invalidate those findings.

If you want to appeal and win you will need to retain the services of an attorney who is versed in civil service law and police hiring practices. In turn, he will obtain copies of the duty statement and psychological dimensions for the position you are seeking and send you to a psychologist who is familiar with police work and who will examine you and hopefully render a favorable independent opinion as to your abilities. All of this will cost big bucks.

But rest assured, you will not win an appeal but simply saying, “I don’t think this was fair.”
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Got it L-1. Thank you for your input and rest assur, I have taken everyone's opinions and comments, and have learned from it. Yes, i did write an appeal letter because I was given the option to appeal, but I'm not going to because you guys are right, no point because if I'm not a guarantee to join the academy, there's no point

Comment

I applied for h+h police. Failed the psych. Should I bother appealing it or should I goto another division?

Comment

Originally posted by JEROD2018 View Post
            I applied for h+h police. Failed the psych. Should I bother appealing it or should I goto another division?
            This is not a snarky question but a serious one, so think carefully and thoughtfully before you answer.

What will be the basis for your appeal? Spell it out. Why should the results of the psych exam be ignored?
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• JEROD2018
              JEROD2018 commented
              Editing a comment
              The basis of the appeal is so my name isn't tarnished. In the future I may apply for another civil service exam and I wouldn't want this red flag on my record. I don't think it should be ignored but I don't think it was accurate based on a 45 minute zoom meeting. I do not plan to work for this particular agency now but still, I would like my record clear.

• L-1
              L-1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Keeping your name from being tarnished is not a legitimate basis for appealing a psych. You will have wasted both your and the department's time and money, and you will look like an idiot.

If you failed the psych, it is because their exam determined you are either not free from an emotional or mental condition that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a police officer, or that your are not capable of withstanding the psychological demands of the position, or both.

In order to successfully appeal, you must demonstrate the psych exam results are wrong, or that the test criteria itself has no valid relationship to the position you are seeking. How will you go about doing that?

Originally posted by JEROD2018 View Post
            Originally posted by L-1 View Post

This is not a snarky question but a serious one, so think carefully and thoughtfully before you answer.

What will be the basis for your appeal? Spell it out. Why should the results of the psych exam be ignored?
            Also not a snarky question but

WHY would you want to work for an agency that disqualified you and doesn't want you to work for them
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• JEROD2018
              JEROD2018 commented
              Editing a comment
              You are right. Still I have to clear my record. I will still try for other agencies and I wouldn't want this popping up.

• Iowa #1603
              Iowa #1603 commented
              Editing a comment
              There is no "clearing" the fact that you have failed the exam. Even successfully challenging that failure doesn't negate the determination that you were not psychologically fit for that department. It just means you took legal action to overturn that decision.

The fact is a person can "fail" an exam from one agency today and "pass" the exam for the next agency tomorrow. It becomes a problem when a person consistently can't get past the psych exam from multiple agencies

It WILL pop up.

Appealing the psych is not going to "clear your name." As an example, numerous officers on here have failed a poly at one agency only to pass the poly at another agency. The failed poly did not prevent them from getting hired, and contesting the results of the failed poly would not have negated the results. Just move on to someone a place where you fit.

Comment

What they said...

Comment

I know 'someone' who passed everything in the application process, but was told to NOT HIRE based on a doctor (who did not even meet them) advise against a hire due to anxiety issues....The agency had the option apparently of overiding this conclusion and ended hiring them anyways....
                John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Legion90 View Post
                  I wrote an appeal letter and I'm planning to fight it as long as the price is reasonable. And thank you!
                  Departments sometimes use the psych to select personality types they prefer. It doesn’t mean you’re unsuitable to be a cop... it just means you aren’t a good fit for that agency.

Still I have to clear my record.
                  Nope... just the fact you don’t like the result isn’t a basis for an appeal... you have to show where they made a mistake or did something improperly.

Ive failed one psych test... and passed two others.

That said, I might be beginning to see why you failed.
                  Last edited by tanksoldier; 04-08-2021, 03:01 PM.
                  "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

• Aidokea
                    Aidokea commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Legion90 hasn't posted here in seven years...

• tanksoldier
                    tanksoldier commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Still relevant to the new poster and others who might have similar questions

Originally posted by NC Marine View Post
                  I know 'someone' who passed everything in the application process, but was told to NOT HIRE based on a doctor (who did not even meet them) advise against a hire due to anxiety issues....The agency had the option apparently of overiding this conclusion and ended hiring them anyways....
                  If this doctor was not part of the hiring process, of course, they could disregard his note, especially if their own doctor said he was good to hire.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5179 users online. 291 members and 4888 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X