Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background/Hiring Question

Hi everyone,

A little about me. I have been working in a non-sworn position for the last 5 years with 2 different departments. I have gone through a full background both times and obviously passed both.

I have been trying to get hired as a Police Officer for the past 2 years. I have currently gone through another background with my current department, which I passed, and am on the hiring list. I also was in the process with another department. Passed poly and was in backgrounds.

For the other department I met with my BI for initial interview. I know he then picked up my packet from my current employer and previous, met with my parents and siblings. After that I was called in for a follow up interview regarding 2 or 3 small clarifications and to check my social networking accounts. At the end of the meeting my BI advised he would be gone for a week and would finish up with references, home visit etc when he returned.

Fast forward 3-4 weeks later, I reach out to my BI to touch base mainly to let him know my wife was going to be out of town for the holidays coming up. The next day I get an email saying sorry we have fully considered you but unable to offer you a position at this time. I was quite confused as I knew none of my references etc had been contacted and emailed the Personnel Sgt to clarify my status if I had been disqualified for some reason. His response was that I was eligible to re-apply and I was not disqualified, I just was not chosen by the Chief out of a small group that were compared.

Something isn't sitting right with me about it. I don't see how my background could be considered finished when I know my supervisor, friends, co-workers, and house visit. It is frustrating as I am not really sure how to address it when applying to other departments.

Am I looking to much into it? Any opinions?

Originally posted by BayArea11 View Post
    Hi everyone,

A little about me. I have been working in a non-sworn position for the last 5 years with 2 different departments. I have gone through a full background both times and obviously passed both.

I have been trying to get hired as a Police Officer for the past 2 years. I have currently gone through another background with my current department, which I passed, and am on the hiring list. I also was in the process with another department. Passed poly and was in backgrounds.

For the other department I met with my BI for initial interview. I know he then picked up my packet from my current employer and previous, met with my parents and siblings. After that I was called in for a follow up interview regarding 2 or 3 small clarifications and to check my social networking accounts. At the end of the meeting my BI advised he would be gone for a week and would finish up with references, home visit etc when he returned.

Fast forward 3-4 weeks later, I reach out to my BI to touch base mainly to let him know my wife was going to be out of town for the holidays coming up. The next day I get an email saying sorry we have fully considered you but unable to offer you a position at this time. I was quite confused as I knew none of my references etc had been contacted and emailed the Personnel Sgt to clarify my status if I had been disqualified for some reason. His response was that I was eligible to re-apply and I was not disqualified, I just was not chosen by the Chief out of a small group that were compared.

Something isn't sitting right with me about it. I don't see how my background could be considered finished when I know my supervisor, friends, co-workers, and house visit. It is frustrating as I am not really sure how to address it when applying to other departments.

Am I looking to much into it? Any opinions?
    You were NON SELECTED.

It sounds like the Chief went a different direction and chose someone else.

State to other departments that you were NON SELECTED.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Yes, you ARE reading too much into it; far too much. There is a world of difference between Disqualification and Non-Selection. The fact that were invited to re-apply demonstrates that you were NOT disqualified.

I could guess at any number of reasons for your non-selection. For me to do that would do you absolutely no good. Keep on doing the best job possible in your current status, and re-apply when you're able. Best of luck.

Comment

Thank you. I guess I was just thrown off that my background packet was considered finished when it felt like there was a lot more for the BI to do.

Comment

Thank you. I guess I was just thrown off that my background packet was considered finished when it felt like there was a lot more for the BI to do.
          My guess is they didn't finish your background. They probably hired another applicant and didn't need to finsh yours. Did they tell you they finished it? Rejection is part of the game when applying for LE jobs. Keep plugging away.

Good luck in your endeavors.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
            You were NON SELECTED.

It sounds like the Chief went a different direction and chose someone else.

State to other departments that you were NON SELECTED.
            There is no shame in being Non-Selected. Most of us on here have been there at least a time or two. The agency I currently work for has Non-Selected me a couple times. Some of those individuals who were selected over me now work under me. Keep trying.
            In God We Trust
            Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

I imagine your BI wasn't finished. The chief had a candidate he liked and wanted to hire, so he hired him. What's to address with other departments? You applied but were not hired, just like the majority of people who applied for the position.

Comment

Originally posted by Country_Jim View Post
                My guess is they didn't finish your background. They probably hired another applicant and didn't need to finsh yours. Did they tell you they finished it? Rejection is part of the game when applying for LE jobs. Keep plugging away.

I am quite aware and ok with rejection, not the first time and won't be the last time.

I was told that it was finished, that is what threw me off, since I know for a fact many parts of the background weren't done. The way it went down made me feel like I was disqualified, but didn't even think to consider maybe they already hired from someone whose background packets were finished sooner.

Comment

I am quite aware and ok with rejection, not the first time and won't be the last time.

I was told that it was finished, that is what threw me off, since I know for a fact many parts of the background weren't done. The way it went down made me feel like I was disqualified, but didn't even think to consider maybe they already hired from someone whose background packets were finished sooner.
                  You don't know for a fact that many parts of the background weren't finished. Background investigators share info (I'm sure you know this) and because the questions asked of references are pretty standard, your background investigator may have used the info from the other agency's background investigation.

Comment

Originally posted by Country_Jim View Post
                    You don't know for a fact that many parts of the background weren't finished. Background investigators share info (I'm sure you know this) and because the questions asked of references are pretty standard, your background investigator may have used the info from the other agency's background investigation.

True. thank you everyone. Made me feel a little better and that I am over thinking it and racking my brain for no reason.

Comment

True. thank you everyone. Made me feel a little better and that I am over thinking it and racking my brain for no reason.
                      Hang in there, I'm glad we could help.

Comment

First of all don't necessarily believe everything you are told by the agencies you apply for. A recruiter will tell you anything you want to hear to get you to apply. A BI will tell you anything to get you off the phone so he/she can get back to work. An administrator will tell you things that may or may not be totally true about why you were not selected especially if you are not selected for a reason they legally can't use.

I also know some BI's that routinely ASK the people YOU supply for references to not disclose that they have contacted them........

Multiple reasons for all of the above and it truly depends on the agency
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

They don't need to contact everyone you list in your package. Many people who know you are going to say the same positive things over, and over, and over. They will try to contact people you didn't list. Maybe they wanted to hire someone who has something about them they need/want and you don't have. (Females, Spanish speakers, etc.)

Stay with it. Almost every agency in the area is hiring. Salinas, Modesto, Stockton, Oakland & others are hiring high numbers of people.

Comment

Originally posted by Lady Blue View Post
                            There is no shame in being Non-Selected. Most of us on here have been there at least a time or two. The agency I currently work for has Non-Selected me a couple times. Some of those individuals who were selected over me now work under me. Keep trying.
                            Took me three times before I got hired so don't feel bad. Not everyone gets it on the first try. I made it on two different department's hiring list only to watch others get hired ahead of me and the lists expired. It just makes you want it more.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3737 users online. 205 members and 3532 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X