Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work History (Owning a Business)

Hello,

I've been lurking this website for quite sometime trying to obtain all of the knowledge I can! I will try to get straight to the point. I am 20 years old and have owned my own landscaping business since I was 17. It's not your typical grandma's little lawn boy (at least I don't think it is). My uncle had his own landscaping business for over 20 years and sold everything, including clients, to me three years ago. I am doing quite well and have even expanded the company in the three years. I don't have any workers yet but have around 30 clients for mowing, 20 for weed treatment, and 5 Dollar General Stores for snow removal.

When I was 15-16 years old I worked for another landscaping company, which me and the owner still get along well. Last winter I got a job a Dick's Sporting Goods (before I bought a snow plow). I worked there for about 6 months until spring rolled around and I had to quit.

So with that said, I don't have many previous bosses who can be contacted. Also how does owning your own business look to BI's? Sometimes I feel like it can hurt me and other times I think it might look great on an application.

Any insight or tips would be great.

If your business was legitimate, you complied with all the applicable laws etc, I don't see it as an issue.

Comment

Yes it is legitimate. I have all the proper licensing and insurance. I didn't know how agencies look at owning your own business since they can't ask your boss about your work ethic. I guess they can contact my customers?

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
        If your business was legitimate, you complied with all the applicable laws etc, I don't see it as an issue.
        Originally posted by Pug25 View Post
        Yes it is legitimate. I have all the proper licensing and insurance. I didn't know how agencies look at owning your own business since they can't ask your boss about your work ethic. I guess they can contact my customers?
        Yep don't be surprised if the BI asks you for the names/ contact info of some customers............................
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I think owning and expanding your own business at 17 says a lot about your work ethic and ingenuity.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3629 users online. 197 members and 3432 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X