Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming a Dispatcher

Good evening,
    I would like to know how to become a police dispatcher/telecommunicator? What are some steps to better you chances of getting hired? How well do most dispatchers and officer get along? Finally feel free to offer any additional tips. Thank you

Originally posted by MR Chi city View Post
    Good evening,
    I would like to know how to become a police dispatcher/telecommunicator? What are some steps to better you chances of getting hired? How well do most dispatchers and officer get along? Finally feel free to offer any additional tips. Thank you
    How to become a dispatcher:
    Get hired.

Do dispatchers and officers get along:
    In many places they don't even know each other

TIPS:
    Learn to type fast
    Know how to mulit-task
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

As a fallow up I would like to know how to increase my chances of being hired as a dispatcher/telecommunicator? Finally what are some advantages and disadvantages with single dispatch agencies VS consolidated centers? Thank you?

Comment

As a fallow up I would like to know how to increase my chances of being hired as a dispatcher/telecommunicator? Finally what are some advantages and disadvantages with single dispatch agencies VS consolidated centers? Thank you?
        Stay out of trouble. Can't answer the second part, because I've never been a dispatcher.

Comment

no Criminal history helps,no one wants a dispatcher who might tip off their friends when a raids coming if they over hear a address when Tact is going out and EMS is being put on standby .

Comment

Good evening,
            A friend is a dispatcher for a consolidated center in California. VERY stressful and VERY important job. I probably couldn't do it myself.

About half the dispatcher is OUR comm center are married or related to somebody else in the "community": Fire, EMS, or LE. They try to schedule them so they aren't working the same shift for obvious reasons, but it doesn't always work out.

Same with a CSP dispatch center I toured. Virtually everyone I talked to in there was married or otherwise related to somebody on the road with the CSP.

It may or may not be that way with other agencies.

Outside of that, how well we get along depends on the dispatcher and the deputy. I've never met any of our dispatchers, outside of one who is a wife of a co-worker and dropped by for something or other one time, but I recognize them by voice. I've driven halfway across this state with a van full of inmates, and a dispatcher who kept forgetting I was out there... and who repeatedly failed to perform required status checks. Not my favorite person. She also forgets I called out somewhere, and will call my cell asking why I'm not answering the radio. "Um, because I'm inside a jail hooking up inmates?" Mistakes happen, but three times in one week?

Others are outstandingly on the ball. There's one lady in particular I'm always happy to hear answer when I call on.

It just depends.

Type fast, have a good ear, get the officers information in a timely fashion. Recognize what's important and what can wait. Nobody wants to be sitting beside the road wondering of they just pulled over Ted Bundy... but nobody needs an irrelevant laundry list either.
            Last edited by tanksoldier; 03-07-2015, 05:00 PM.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

With my Agency, dispatchers are classified as Police Communications Officers. They are assigned to DPS Headquarters Montgomery, or at Highway Patrol Posts throughout the state.

The fist step in being hired for this classification is to pass a written Merit System (Civil Service) exam. Although a grade of 70% is "passing" an applicant would need to score in the mid to high nineties to be a viable candidate.

Comment

Ok, so I have done several "sit along's" in various police communication centers, and have gotten a gimps of what goes on, do you think this helps or hurts? I should note that most are single agency centers not consolidated centers. Thanks

Comment

It can work both ways. The folks you sat with will form opinions of you and whether or not they think you'd fit with their organization. When the hiring manager asks what they think, they can help you, hurt you, or have no opinion either way.
                  Officer Jay McGuire, Minneapolis Park Police EOW 5/14/2009 age 11
                  Among Texas' finest
                  Deputy Andy Taylor, Llano County SO EOW 5/9/2005
                  Senior Deputy Jessica Laura Hollis, Travis County SO EOW 9/18/2014
                  Darren H. Goforth, Harris County SO EOW 8/28/2015

Comment

Our dispatchers, or "Police Communications Operator (PCO)" are in-house, and work out of our police station. We have 6 dispatchers, 2 per shift. They are extremely good at what they do and we are all one big happy family, because they watch over our backs while we are out doing our thing.
                    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                    that we are all that stands between
                    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

I'm seven months into the hiring process. Just did my live scan. So far what's left is BI coming to my home... Yup this is new I've been told. Psych test and med exam.

I've done two sit ins and I had a ball both times. I've gotten the hang of the calls, even the fire medic side, but that darn pic and radio side got me shook! In definitely going back to sit in again. Good to know people in certain places.

My friends make fun of me when I go BC they say I'm working for free. No I'm not, I'm investing in my future and the future of others. Hoping to make the class starting in Sept.

Comment

Originally posted by Dispatch_mama View Post

My friends make fun of me when I go BC they say I'm working for free. No I'm not, I'm investing in my future and the future of others. Hoping to make the class starting in Sept.
                        The person who is interested in dispatching and doesn't do a "sit in" is a fool. Often the person sits for a shift and quickly realizes that it isn't for them.

The dispatcher is an integral part of the LE team & finding someone who can do it well is rarer than finding a good street cop.
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6378 users online. 371 members and 6007 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X