300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• selection process and the background

So I know the investigator does your background and writes a report which is given to the hiring board but how much weight does the background report generally have in selection? Does the investigator only put facts into the report or do they personally recommend employment because the candidate meets the standards? Just looking for clarification. Im sure all departments differ to extent.

You are right. They do differ. Some agencies use it as a guide or a "recommendation" while others as a requirement. Basically while some may overlook what the background says, others will take it for what it says.

Your results may vary.

Comment

In addition to my colleague's very accurate comments, let me add this. Background Investigations serve two very basic purposes. The first is to ascertain that an applicant meets the minimum criteria for eligibility/hiring with the agency. The second purpose, and this is the one on which many applicants are effected, the investigation seeks to determine whether or not an applicant meets the criteria for Disqualification for employment by the department.

A typical Background Investigation is very thorough and painstaking. The investigator is a gatherer of facts. Seldom does he/she make a recommendation on hiring/disqualification on an applicant. Rather, the facts gathered are submitted in a report and forwarded to those who actually make the hiring decisions.

Comment

Thanks for the great answers. I know with a lot of this, nothing is what it seems and I guess its just part of the process. Just kills me when I hear hes talked to people but I have no idea how things look. Im sure just like anything else the investigator has an opinion as to whether or not someone could make a great officer or not.

I know im going to the hiring board soon so I guess its just a matter of timen

Comment

Thanks for the great answers. I know with a lot of this, nothing is what it seems and I guess its just part of the process. Just kills me when I hear hes talked to people but I have no idea how things look. Im sure just like anything else the investigator has an opinion as to whether or not someone could make a great officer or not.

I know im going to the hiring board soon so I guess its just a matter of timen

Comment

For my department I present a heavy, heavy load of facts on applicants to be considered by the powers-that-be, and I'm tasked in the end with also writing my personal recommendations that must include why I'm saying such and with what information that is based on. How much is that worth? Couldn't tell you. Above my proverbial and literal pay grade.
            Last edited by Nathan571; 12-06-2014, 12:58 AM.

Comment

Traditionally, the background does three things and is pass/fail. It:

1. Verifies your identity
              2. Confirms you possess the minimum requirements necessary for the position you are seeking
              3. Determines if there is anything in your personal history that meets the criteria for disqualification

When I did backgrounds, the investigator stated whether he found anything that met the criteria for disqualification and made recommendations for hire/DQ accordingly. Of course, his work was reviewed higher up the food chain and if there was disagreement with his recommendation the report was sent back down for further investigation.

If you want an idea of what goes into some background investigations, take a look at http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/bi.pdf
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

This reflects one Sheriff's Office in Texas, but I suspect may others follow a similar procedure. The first thing I would do is to verify that you meet the minimum standards set forth to become a TCOLE certified peace officer and the minimum standards set forth by our agency. If you do not, at that point I would recommend that you be removed from the hiring process. This is the only formal recommendation that I make. From this point, if you are qualified, I would start digging deeper into your background. This is the point where things get interesting and I start talking with people about you, among other things. What I learn there is in the report I submit up my chain of command. What they do with that information is out of my control.
                In God We Trust
                Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Big thanks to you all, very informative!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan571 View Post
                    How much is that worth? Couldn't tell you. Above my proverbial and literal pay grade.
                    From a higher level point of view------------------------I have set in on hiring decision meetings (not as an actual decision maker) and listened to the discussion on the merits of hiring various people.

One had several people on the management team arguing for NOT hiring a specific individual due to various background issues (I had not completed that particular background packet). The boss listened for 15-20 minutes then stated that "I liked the guy and I am going to give him a chance" ----that ended the debate.

The boss had seen him in the testing process and chatted with him in the hall after his interview-------The moral of the story is you never know what is going to happen after you fill out the paper and move on in the process
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4057 users online. 263 members and 3794 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X